Can any car be cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can any car be cool?

Anyone can disagree, with with me, it's "cool", after all it's your opinion, just like it's my opinion that a 4 door daily driver is not "cool". He ask for opinions and I gave him mine. I don't see the point in spending money on "extras" to dress up a daily like he is taking about. I would use that money and invest it in his hot rod.

And just for the record there is a HUGE difference between an after market plastic bike/ski rack and a cool looking chromed rack on a wagon.....HUGE difference.

For the record, I'm not a fan of four door anything except wagons yet I don't go blasting others cars because I don't care for the style....but if you ask for my opinion I'll give it to you.

Also, just because a car is fast does not make it cool either. "Cool" is a whole package in my opinion, MY OPINION, get it?? ;)

Comment

Sure, its an opinion, i understand, but I learned from working on everything from what you'd consider "cool" to what you'd consider "uncool" that, even if asked, it's "uncool" to share an opinion that might offend some.

For example, to me, a nice looking car that's wheezing, crappily tuned, slow, and only runs enough to get from one carshow to the next... is uncool. Cool enough for the Lawnchair Nationals perhaps, but not cool to me. Now, that's going to offend some people in here, so that's why - even if asked - I try to be polite about my opinions. I'm generally not "polite" all the time, but when it comes to when I am asked about a car, my rule is "positive before negative"

-scott
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

what..4 door cars are some of the best out there. chrome is horrible its the worst thing that has ever happend to hot rods or any other car. the problem with people is they are attracted to shiney objects, you get the mentality of its shiney so it must be good, screw chrome accessories most people use way too much of it and it is way too common on a car, i would take a dull looking beater 4 door or 2 door that doesnt have any shiney objects on it throw a turbo some aftermarket efi system and rock it till it dies over alot of other peoples cars any day. its all about the junkyard oddball build that people like you say thats not cool.

all in all YES any car CAN be COOL

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
          For example, to me, a nice looking car that's wheezing, crappily tuned, slow, and only runs enough to get from one carshow to the next... is uncool.

-scott
          I wouldn't say a car that runs crappy is "cool" either hence the reason I stated COOL is a whole package.

Shawn, shiney paint or chromed "stuff" does not make a car cool either. Neither is a piece of crap rat rod that is built in an unsafe manner.

Again, it's a whole package AND what is considered "cool" in my package is NOT what others would or might consider "cool" in their package.

Too each his own. With that said, I am the first one to encourage a young person who just got his first car, project, whatever, no matter what that car might be, I'm the first one to encourge that person to build what he/she likes and can afford. I'll also be the first one that mentions to them that they need to build it safe and reliable at all costs.

Also Shawn, don't put words in MY mouth, I never once mentioned a junkyard oddball build is uncool. I've just finished a "oddball" car that came out of a junkyard almost 20 years ago so don't go there with me.

Comment

ok

Comment

Y'all play nice... LOL

COOL is a guy towing his A bone Race car with a Early 50's Ford pick up stuffed full of Nail head Buick...... oh and if the A has a Nail head too then it's WAY COOL...

Ahhh Huhmmmm Denise.... FAST CARS ARE ALWAYS COOL... especially if they are the FASTEST car... So Record setting cars ROCK... that simple... everyone knows that... LOL

Keith

Comment

I have always said that you can make any car look good with the right wheels and stance. Some cars are more difficult that others, but I still think it is true.

Heck, when I was in college, I had a (gasp) Geo Metro for a year. I did nothing more than clean it up, paint the wheels and brakes, and tint the windows. It was cool enough for me cuz it was all I could afford at the time and it was dirt cheap to run. I made it "mine" in a weekend with about $30 and some elbow grease. I even got complements on how clean the car was from people. I sold it to buy a RUSTED out '89 Isuzu 4X4 pickup that I made "mine" with a set of used 31" BFG's on 15x8 white spoke wheels and a bunch of sheet metal to cover the rust holes. Again, it was cool to me cuz it was all I could afford at the time and noone would ever mistaken it for anyone elses vehicle. I also had a 2wd Toyota after the Isuzu blew up that I lowered 2/3 for about $200, and got a set of used '99 Mustang GT wheels from a friend for free and slapped 'em on. The truck was ultra low-buck, but the stance was right and I got TONS of complements on it. In fact, since I sold it, I've seen 2 guys local to me who copied the same look with Mustang wheels on a Yota truck (which, copying, in my book is UNCOOL). See my point?

Like Turk said, do something with it, just keep it low-buck and clean. Maybe a set of late model wheels off of a Mazda 6? (I have no idea whether they would fit or not)
                Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Originally posted by ford141
                  I have always said that you can make any car look good with the right wheels and stance. Some cars are more difficult that others, but I still think it is true.

Heck, when I was in college, I had a (gasp) Geo Metro for a year. I did nothing more than clean it up, paint the wheels and brakes, and tint the windows. It was cool enough for me cuz it was all I could afford at the time and it was dirt cheap to run. I made it "mine" in a weekend with about $30 and some elbow grease. I even got complements on how clean the car was from people. I sold it to buy a RUSTED out '89 Isuzu 4X4 pickup that I made "mine" with a set of used 31" BFG's on 15x8 white spoke wheels and a bunch of sheet metal to cover the rust holes. Again, it was cool to me cuz it was all I could afford at the time and noone would ever mistaken it for anyone elses vehicle. I also had a 2wd Toyota after the Isuzu blew up that I lowered 2/3 for about $200, and got a set of used '99 Mustang GT wheels from a friend for free and slapped 'em on. The truck was ultra low-buck, but the stance was right and I got TONS of complements on it. In fact, since I sold it, I've seen 2 guys local to me who copied the same look with Mustang wheels on a Yota truck (which, copying, in my book is UNCOOL). See my point?

Like Turk said, do something with it, just keep it low-buck and clean. Maybe a set of late model wheels off of a Mazda 6? (I have no idea whether they would fit or not)
                  i like your style

Comment

I wonder something...how can we tell whether Denise is observing the scene and reporting a general opinion, or if she is setting her own "cool" standard? Cool is a social thing, and it varies greatly by whom you hang out with.

And I'm impressed with Scott's positive attitude!
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

K - So nobody say anything at all because you might offend someone...

Jeezuzz - when did we all become such pansies and candy-asses??

As far back as I can remember part of being a car guy (or gal) was talking smack about each other's rides. (or shoes, or haircut, or girlfriend....well maybe not girlfriend...at least not when she was present) It's part of the fun - nobody took it too seriously, and certainly no-one took offence. And woe be to the guy who couldn't back up his smack-talk with his own wheels.

Being a respectful, civilized human being and polite to others is admirable. Rampant, out of control political correctness is not.

Comment

Like that Av... Nice duster by the way... My Uncle had one just like it... is that a "real" 4 sp car?

Keith
                        (sorry it was just to easy... I don't even have an uncle.. you can call home and ask my wife... )

Comment

Keith,
                          Play nice now...

Comment

This was our last car. Everyone always stared and pointed at us, we always knew they either were staring becasue they liked it or they hated it. Personally I didnt care. It ran 11's and was our daily driver, so it did everything for me.

I just bought a 1995 Taurus SHO for $300 to use as a practical and economical daily driver. My plan is to switch the drivetrain over to a Taurus wagon ( NOT COOL ) but hopefully we can show up at Maxton next year and go 140mph in a Taurus station wagon. All for under $1500 bucks, that would be cool in my book.

graluc - I cant see that car being cool unless there was something about it that made it cool. I dont know what that would be, IMO if it ran 13's and looked like that, then that would be cool

Comment

Was your uncle's duster lime hemi-green? ;D

Comment

Originally posted by V10Mercury
                                This was our last car. Everyone always stared and pointed at us, we always knew they either were staring becasue they liked it or they hated it. Personally I didnt care. It ran 11's and was our daily driver, so it did everything for me.

I just bought a 1995 Taurus SHO for $300 to use as a practical and economical daily driver. My plan is to switch the drivetrain over to a Taurus wagon ( NOT COOL ) but hopefully we can show up at Maxton next year and go 140mph in a Taurus station wagon. All for under $1500 bucks, that would be cool in my book.

graluc - I cant see that car being cool unless there was something about it that made it cool. I dont know what that would be, IMO if it ran 13's and looked like that, then that would be cool
                                That, in my book, is cool. Rice burners who copy "Fast and Furious" cars and then bust up their fiberglass bumper and ground effects cuz they can't park without hitting anything... uncool.
                                Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Working...
                                X