Can any car be cool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any car be cool?

I've been digging the pics of the 4 doors on here lately, especially the race versions. Here's a couple of pics of my current daily driver. I switch out drivers yearly, just can't stand to drive the same thing for very long. I usually drive some beater muscle car type or a big nasty Jeep, but with gas prices going above $3 a gallon and still climbing, I broke down and bought a front wheel drive rice burner. I wasn't looking for something like this, but a buddy offered me this one for $500. It just needed a radiator and a flat tire fixed. So now I'm running around town at almost 30mpg and it's turned out to be quite handy for toting kids and Mountain Bikes. But it is so un-cool and not the type of car I would normally drive. So what can I do to this thing to give it some personality? I'm not interested in ricing it up, not my scene. I don't really care to improve the performance, not worth the money. It handles like a wheel barrel and I think I could out run it on my Mountain Bike, but at least it's a 5-speed so I can slam it though the gears.

MY initial thoughts, go for a rally car look. Some European speed parts stickers, door numbers, bigger wheels and tires, etc....

What do you think? I'm not willing to spend more than a couple of hundred on it. I'm sure I'll be ready for something else within a year... what kind of gas mileage do those old bugs get? ;)

Re: Can any car be cool?

Start with wheels and tires. Easiest and fastest way to change a cars image.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The answer to your question in your title is "no"

Comment

You could find a wrecked '89-'92 Probe GT or MX-6 Turbo and transplant the entire drivetrain and suspension over, but that may be more work than you were planning on doing. I used to have a '89 Probe, same chassis. It was a very good handling car, particularly on autocross tires (guess that goes to show that a bit of suspension tuning can make all the difference). And it would get close to 30 mpg too, even with the turbo.

Still, I'd consider it a beater, not really worth putting much time and effort into it unless you want to keep it for the long term.

Comment

as long as you think it is .........
          I don't call my cavalier cool , just necessary , and thank heavens it still runs

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodLadyCrusr
            Denise wins

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              Denise wins

X2
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

My brother has a Pacer. Some people say that there's nothing you can do to make it cool.

While I'm not a fan of the Pacer by any means, I disagree. I think a powerful V-8 with A/C and some quality paint and body... and the right set of wheels... it could be cool.

A four door mazda with aircraft landing lights... uh... not cool.
                Economical, perhaps, but not cool.

Comment

You could do ALOT worse. At least that car has clean lines. I think you are on the right track with the rally look. Start with wheels and tires.
                  1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

carsnobs?

A car that gets good mileage and costs you little, so you can spend money on your hotrod, is WAY COOL in my book.

Last night I just finished tuning a car that most on here would consider "not cool," It's a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse. The kid who put it together spent about $6000 on the whole project. Gets 30mpg, is all wheel drive, and makes around 500whp. IT should run mid or low elevens at the track this season. uncool here because it's an import, but to me - cool!

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Can ANY car be cool, no. But, I've seen some real oddball cars that definately were cool with the right mods. You got a deal on that Mazda!
                      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Do wheels and tires and spend the rest of your money on your Hot Rod.

Comment

How 'bout some rattle can, or rolled on two tone paint.... Flat black top with the stock silver bottom. Still wouldn't be "cool", but it might add some more visual appeal.

Comment

It is what it is...a 4 door, daily driver, no more, no less and certainly not "cool" in the sense that he is asking.........you can put a dress on a pig but does that mean it deserves to go to the dance??? :

Comment

It is what it is...a 4 door, daily driver, no more, no less and certainly not "cool" in the sense that he is asking.........you can put a dress on a pig but does that mean it deserves to go to the dance??? :
                              I'll have to get your blessing then on any car I decide I may want to build, I certainly wouldn't want you to think it was anything less than cool... :
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X