Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for guys who know stuff about snowmobiles (and snowmobile drag racing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for guys who know stuff about snowmobiles (and snowmobile drag racing)

Yeah, so this whole old John Deere snowmobile things has my wheels turning.

I know it is ancient and slow, and the equivalent to a Dodge K-car in comparison to zooty new snowmobiles, but I think it would be a riot (and would make for a fun story) to take the thing to a snowmobile drag race. At the event we attended last year, I saw all the heavy guns of the sport with turbo and nitrous sleds, etc. I'm guessing that was not the normal crowd I saw, more the cream of the crop. So I'm wondering about some stuff.

My questions:

Do most organizations have a Pure Stock or Factory stock class?
    Are their classes for old junk like this or is it all broken out by CC?
    Are their classes for a stock tread or would a spiked tread be mandatory?
    What's needed for safety gear, a helmet and kill switch lanyard?
    Would I be a complete embarrassment to myself and the BS universe if I rolled in with this baby loaded in the bed of my pickup truck and a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt on? (Your answers here will not change my decision, I'm simply wondering aloud)

So what's the deal? Can I take this baby to the snow drags???

That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Question for guys who know stuff about snowmobiles (and snowmobile drag racing)

I wouldn't do it with the unique engine needing a place to store...

the years of two stroke are like mid 70s to 80s egr and making engines really stupid for their displacement.

it may be insulting for long term sledders. Today (started in the 90s realistically) a 600cc liquid build is in the realms of 500% more power with precision. Seeing that old one slobbering its way is not a good memory.

just my maine two cents. I remeber the last of the bad ones, eating belts and chugging along witha dog sled, not even 300 pounds extra... I am glad its over.

you are not apparently LOL. ;)
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Re: Question for guys who know stuff about snowmobiles (and snowmobile drag racing)

Why did I not see this
      coming.....

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Yeah, you should have known better.

Oh, and the goal is to leave this 100% stock....so that's another question I'll add above.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Jeremy (mustang 13) has alot of expierience in this. Im sure you wuill get a reply from him.

Comment

When I first started out with my 440 scorpion all it had on it was 36 " claws"
            I befriended someone that was a lot more serious about ice dragging than I was and he gave me a box of his ice picks.
            So my first year I took out the "claws" and put in 136 ice picks. All we did from trail form to drag form was mix up a little cam2 (it was a very weak blend I got what was left out of the jug). We used chain to lower the front and rear suspension and also make it stiff as a board. On the clutches you can take scotch brite and sand it in a criss cross pattern for extra grip ( the big boys I think use sand paper put I didn't want to replace belts).

I rocked coveralls and an open face helmet. Would suggest a lanyard. Have fun.

When I did race for a couple years IIRC they had classes 440 600 stock improved stock open stuff like that
            you would probably be in 440 stock class.
            Jeff
            Follow My Build

Comment

IRON DOG !

Comment

^^^whaat he said ;D with on board camera :o
                Jeff
                Follow My Build

Comment

....and you better be talking about carrying it in Goliath, not that weak suck Ford company car!....LOL
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

The other thing we have up here is roundy round racing with vintage sleds. Lots of ahem, "stock" vintage sleds, very easy and cheap to get into, and it wouldn't be as embarrassing as going to the drag strip. But, coming from someone who usually has the slowest, most embarrassing thing at the dragstrip, go for it!

Comment

Bring it up here top minn. Jan. 8th-9th, Waconia ride in is the biggest vintage sled show on the planet,I think we had 650+ vintage sleds on the ride last year. The drags are sat. and the ovals and show are sunday. http://kellyandersen.smugmug.com/Oth...78500955_PqEnC

Comment

Those things are addictive,
                        you should check this site out Brian, there are a lot of us out there that like the older ones, or should I say vintage sleds?

Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I was around all those old sleds as a young'n ..

He had fun with them ...left me with a saying

What does a Snowmobile and a young women you find in the bar have in common ??

You have to work on them for 5 hours to ride them 5 minutes ;)
                          sigpic

Comment

You will have a ball drag racing this thing in some vintage events, or hell, race it in any trail stock class.

Depending on what type of event you go to, such as a "backyard" deal as the team I use to race with, called them, which most often is hosted by a local snowmobile club, should have a class for a stock, vintage trail use sled, studded or un-studded. Beware of the berrypickers in these classes, you know, the guy that has some old sled twecked that he only uses in events like this to "win" a trophy. The normal "tune-ups" in any "stock" class are usually lowering the chaincase gearing ratio(go to a smaller gear on top,1 or 2 less teeth usually work with a stock chain and adjuster), raising the primary clutch spring pressure or back cutting the fly weights to bump up the launch RPM, cut the heads to up the compression, and jet carb-carbs alittle lean on the primarys and up on the pilot jet. A loose track, that DOES NOT rachet-jump on the drive sprockets is fastest, plus as many boogie wheels that can be added to the rear skid, as well as using "old" hy-fax runners for low friction. You should make sure the belt rides as high in the rear clutch as it can (remember,thats low gear) and have a tight deflection between the two clutches, yet doesn't make the sled "creep" when idling. The belt should be tight side to side between the sheves in the front clutch also.

OR, run it just as it is and have a riot!!!!!
                            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13
                              You will have a ball drag racing this thing in some vintage events, or hell, race it in any trail stock class.

Depending on what type of event you go to, such as a "backyard" deal as the team I use to race with, called them, which most often is hosted by a local snowmobile club, should have a class for a stock, vintage trail use sled, studded or un-studded. Beware of the berrypickers in these classes, you know, the guy that has some old sled twecked that he only uses in events like this to "win" a trophy. The normal "tune-ups" in any "stock" class are usually lowering the chaincase gearing ratio(go to a smaller gear on top,1 or 2 less teeth usually work with a stock chain and adjuster), raising the primary clutch spring pressure or back cutting the fly weights to bump up the launch RPM, cut the heads to up the compression, and jet carb-carbs alittle lean on the primarys and up on the pilot jet. A loose track, that DOES NOT rachet-jump on the drive sprockets is fastest, plus as many boogie wheels that can be added to the rear skid, as well as using "old" hy-fax runners for low friction. You should make sure the belt rides as high in the rear clutch as it can (remember,thats low gear) and have a tight deflection between the two clutches, yet doesn't make the sled "creep" when idling. The belt should be tight side to side between the sheves in the front clutch also.

OR, run it just as it is and have a riot!!!!!
                              I think you just found a crew chief Brian.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X