Mystery! Help I.D. *Fast* '67 Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery! Help I.D. *Fast* '67 Camaro

Help resolve a haunting quest to find more info on a particularly historic 1967 Camaro.

Approx. 1971-72, a small ad appeared in Hot Rod that read something close to:

"HOW TO BUILD A 10-SECOND, 200 MPH 350 SBC CAMARO"

So, I ordered it. It was B&W on glossy paper. The Camaro was a '67, 4-spd, 350.

It ran a 10.9 in 1/4, and clocked 200 MPH @ a LSR facility, w/different gears, etc.

It was tightly written, straightforward, very fact-spec minimalist, but thorough.

The author-owner had a rare last name...maybe starting w/a "Z"?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd bet my last buck someone here on the former car junkie forum will know.

Thank you for helping us all remember another interesting part of our Hot Rod heritage!

Re: Mystery! Help I.D. *Fast* '67 Camaro

----------------MORE BITS & PIECES FROM MEMORY----------------

Believe David F. referenced this car in one of his editor-pages a couple years ago now, but within past 5.

Lots of B & W pics, the publication was about 30-40 pgs. max.

The 350 engine got the most attention in its pages, second to how the '67 Camaro was set-up for its drag racing class versus the max- MPH attempts.

Great pic of the Camaro w/Moon discs in its Bonneville profile.

My copy was either loaned to a friend & not returned, or jumped in the garbage while overseas on military duty.

The owner-author's last name was in the "Van Devanter" zone...rare, distinctive...but not Van Daventer...close, tho.

The ad & the cover emphasized the 350 Chevy aspect of the Camaro's startling dual-duty accomplishment, i.e., the 350 engine was the "hero", not the Camaro.

Thanks for pulling up your recollections and helping to research this on to a solution!--------------

Comment

Wayne, shoot DF an email. If he knows about the car, he'll get back to you and I don't think he's a big fan of PM's.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

yeah, he said before not to PM him because he never gets to them
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Comment

that ended up as a big block car though
            but ran drags and bonneville

Comment

thats the one I was thinking of also, Top 10 camaro of all times by Hot Rod, super cool car for the pedigre it has
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

stock L88 with hilborn

Comment

Working...
                X