Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Ice Fishing Shack

Great build!

Love the "fuel." I.....I....I.........well, frozen fun is different from un-frozen fun. I guess it's all about either where you're raised or what you get used to.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Updates:

Had a really good Sunday working on the shack. My buddy (also named Dave) got an F250 driveshaft and made it into a chimney. It came out really good, IMO.

I ground and painted the chimney while Dave got the door and door closer painted and mounted.

I put on a new 2" tongue and then Dave welded on a new support jack and put a bead of weld on the tongue for extra strength.

We finished up the roof, drilled and tapped some set screw (bolt) holes in the stove and got the stove and chimney in and mounted.

Then we wheeled the trailer outside, lit the stove, burned off the paint smell and then sat inside the shack and drank beer for a couple of hours.

The stove isn't very big, but it throws a lot of heat out. We thought we had some sheets of metal available to use for heat shields against the front wall, but couldn't produce them. We're still looking for heat shielding. The walls were getting pretty warm behind the stove. We're also going to put a sheet of steel under it.

Another friend has some windows, so we'll cut a couple of holes in the sides and get those put in. We're getting close to finished. It just needs some speaker and electrical wire run and a little insulation, some benches and a couple of holes for fishing and we're there.

Comment

Thanks for the update, it looks awesome.
        Can't wait for the first real in-the-world trial photo's.

Comment

The "'shack" is too cool!
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

My only enjoyable ice fishing outing was in an ice-contact (as opposed to trailer-mounted) shanty, as we called 'em. It was warm enough that I was able to continue feeling my fingers and toes. We drove out onto the lake, cleared the holes and fired up the heat, and removed our coats. As I recall, we weren't bothered with any actual catching, just extensive lying.

Dan

Comment

I think the plan is to get out in February and finally road test this puppy.

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys. It's been a fun project so far.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                My only enjoyable ice fishing outing was in an ice-contact (as opposed to trailer-mounted) shanty, as we called 'em. It was warm enough that I was able to continue feeling my fingers and toes. We drove out onto the lake, cleared the holes and fired up the heat, and removed our coats. As I recall, we weren't bothered with any actual catching, just extensive lying.

Dan
                while the whole ice-fishing thing isn't something I've ever likely to get - I think a few hours listening your stories would be a lot of fun.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You have an excellent PBR ratio in your fuel ;D So does it have an escape hatch on the roof? I've heard two sinking fish shack stories this winter.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Rules!

One of you guys has to ride in it, sitting at the window, when you tow it to the lake. When someone comes to pass open the window and scream at them to get out of your yard. Must be drinking Schlitz and wearing a wife beater shirt to boot.
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                    X