the search for another DD begins...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the search for another DD begins...

So, the wife and I have been discussing what to buy for another daily driver.
    I need to get her into something newer...also, this way I can start driving our Contour SE so I have something with EFI.
    And something that does better than the 8-10 than what Ole Blue currently provides me. I love my '79 F150 4x4, but it's getting to me I need to find something newer for DD status.

I love my 70's Ford mid size Torinos, Elites, Mark 5 Lincolns, and Trucks, but I also realize I need to get Mel something she can drive without it being like a scene fromFerris Bueller with the blue hair and knucles driving the town car... ;D
    I was seriously looking for an Elite, maybe a 74-76 Coupe or even a 4 door, but the Torino, while you can drive the Gran with one finger on the wheel, and it's comfortable...still going to average about 15mpg. Then I start looking at stuff...NEXT.

So, we previously had an Exploder Sport. I liked it...probably because I prefer older stuff. Full frame. Real axle out back, and a fairly ok drivetrain. {Reminds me of the old Bronco}. I was thinking, "Find a used Exploder Sport". Around here, it seems they are either beat to death or the damn things are overpriced. Mainly, both of those statements. I was trying to find a brand new sport, but I guess they axed the 2 door exploder at some point. The new explorers...bah. Looks like a damn Subaru Forester.
    I want to look at something more like the Ranger, get a 4x4 extended cab with the 4.0...I love Ford...but damn, a new 4.0 4x4 they are mighty proud of that truck. I might as well buy a Superduty.

This weekend we were out, and I spotted a newer Ford Fusion Sport. I like them, they have the bigger 3.5 V6 and I guess from what I've heard the things are road rockets that get decent milage.
    I can't for some reason reduce myself to a 4 banger...I think pretty much all the imports are over rated, ego driven crap...yes, I know...I got Blue vision, and can't get past the fact I am in fact, dedicated to my Fords, good or bad.

That being said I am going to scope for a 6- 12 month old car...just trying to not get screwed on the initial screw job.

Any techs here, slaving away at Ford, any warning signs on the rangers or Fusion??

{BTW...if I had the money, I would not even think about it...I would be going Diesel...but what the hell do I need a 20,000+ pound towing rig for??}

Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: the search for another DD begins...

The official video for “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley. The new album 'Are We There Yet?' is out now: Download here: https://RickAstley.lnk.to/AreWe...

I bet you like this one too

I let you off easy
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

cavalier , focus , avenger , corolla, civic 4 cylinders ..keep it cheap , put the rest of the budget into that torino
      no korean crap

Comment

Fusion sport is a really nice car - as long as you're not much over 6' 2" 230, I say this because my friend that has one is about that size and he drives it with the seat maxed out to the back of the tracks, tilted slightly back, and about as low as the tracks will go.

Another friend has one for his wife - she's 5ft nothing and raves about how huge the interior is for her and thier 3 kids she is always hauling around.

The 3.5 is a good engine - the 6speed transmission I've got no long term real world data for you on since they've only been out for a bit more than a year.

Do you need AWD? If not save the expense and stick to FWD.

If you like the Fusion overall - before pulling the trigger I would encourage you to drive the Four banger in SEL trim - it's no slouch and will knock down real world high 30's mpg on the highway.

They are comfy, quiet, and the higher end stereos are very nice.

There's a reason the Ranger is going away - that's cuz for a few bucks more - you can get an F150!
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I've got a 2005 Jetta for sale...really comfy and 30mpg...

Comment

full frame, rear axle, new daily less than a year...

is that mustang and crown vic as only ford car options?

I am still upset over four cyls... stopped in time in 1987, withan extinct boxer. I go no farther in the suby world...especially as the body welder.

kinda sucks looking for good of old and new at same time today. :
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Get a Town car, they last forever and you can put a lot of stuff in them at Costco.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                Get a Town car, they last forever and you can put a lot of stuff in them at Costco.
                Hear hear, the 06+ ones had a tach in the dash and that platform absolutely interchanges with everything Maurader! I seriously considered one and start pumping cross platform parts into it like a floor shifter, CVPI bars, and bigger brakes. I've been told the seats are Kansas flat though and will not hold your butt in place in a corner. A review I read said a dealer tech showed the test driver how to brace his knee against the ashtray to keep from sliding!!
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                  If you like the Fusion overall - before pulling the trigger I would encourage you to drive the Four banger in SEL trim - it's no slouch and will knock down real world high 30's mpg on the highway.
                  We have a 4-banger Fusion in the company fleet. I stole it for the monster ride to Loring and before we replaced the sales manager I drove it as my DD for a little while. It is a RIOT to drive. The motor has plenty of zing, it handles like it is on rails, and (with the permission of officials) I made a "test" lap of the Loring course and found the speed limiter.

I'm a 5'10" 225lb fatty and it fit me pretty good. It was comforable for all those hours and I got well over 30 (and nearly 40mpg) on the highway.

That was after I got pulled over for going 85mph in a 55 and not getting a ticket from a kind Maine state trooper.

I'd have zero reservations owning a four hole Fusion as a DD.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I know its' a 4 banger, but for transportation I have a hard time finding fault with the four door Focus. It moves out decently, has OK rear seat room, a good 3 or 4 body trunk, and I am knocking down 39 mpg on the highway with the 5 speed. Plus it's cheaper than the Fusion. The downside is it has no soul so it will try and take yours.

Comment

Been kicking things around still...only way I will buy a focus is if I find a first gen hatch I can convert to run a 351w and a t5.
                      Sort of a moot point when I need something that gets more than 15 mpg. I about nearly picked up a yellow hatch, and walked away because Mel said NOT another screwed up mess of a project until you build a garage.

Another option I've have in my head rolling around...finding a builder ranger, something maybe a 2wd extended cab that needs sheetmetal, and turn it into a prerunner type truck.
                      I've seen a couple different extended cab 2wd trucks floating around, and after watching a episode of gears...tossing a basic lift, some 33's and a prerunner bed and fender kit...really thinking this is something I am going to look at doing.
                      This way, if I find a somewhat rusted truck on the bed big deal?
                      Hack the bed sides off, and hang the new panels, and be done with it.
                      Plus it would still be an automatic so Mel could still drive it.
                      Now, trying to convince her of this... :-\
                      Andrew
                      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

ive been looking at the ford fucus's for a new DD, anything I should keep a eye out for, 5 speed, auto zetec, yadda yadda yadda
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

how's the commute? You might squeeze 15+ out of a strippo 6 cyl f150....2wd....

wife has a bare bones 08 silverado and regularly gets 21 mpg. But we live in a rural area, no heavy traffic to speak of.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                            We sell ours off cheap, three years old. They do, however, have around 190k miles on them. They are bomb proof. We hardly do anything besides scheduled maintenance on them.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                              ive been looking at the ford fucus's for a new DD, anything I should keep a eye out for, 5 speed, auto zetec, yadda yadda yadda
                              Early five speeds seemed to like to eat third gear. The SPI SOHC engine is a POS. Zetec or Duratec is the way to go. I like the five speed. It clicks into each gear smoothly, once you get used to the way it revs it is very easy to drive smoothly. On twisty roads it is very composed and handles bumps and radical changes is road surface with ease. Pretty boring in a straight line. 55 and 90 feel the same. Ice can foul the trunk opening a little bit on the current generation.

Comment

Working...
                              X