Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the search for another DD begins...

Originally posted by squirrel
    how's the commute? You might squeeze 15+ out of a strippo 6 cyl f150....2wd....

wife has a bare bones 08 silverado and regularly gets 21 mpg. But we live in a rural area, no heavy traffic to speak of.

Why is it that V8's seem to get as good or better MPG for the same relative size? '95 F150 , 351, 4.10's, E40D I get about 15 average. 13.5 heavy traffic or big headwind, 16.5 with a tailwind on the road.

I got curious a few weeks ago about the Focus turbo kits and if they would easily adapt to the Ranger's Duratec. I think that would amuse me for a DD. They're supposed to get high 20's stock. Big tires won't help that.

Comment

So you get 30% less mileage with your 351 than she gets with her 262 V6.....I would not say they get the same mileage. But the smaller V8s like the 281 (4.6 ford) and 325 (5.3 chevy) do get almost as good of mileage as the big V6.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

THE LS motors are low drag efficiency

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          So you get 30% less mileage with your 351 than she gets with her 262 V6.....I would not say they get the same mileage. But the smaller V8s like the 281 (4.6 ford) and 325 (5.3 chevy) do get almost as good of mileage as the big V6.

nah, what I was saying was the 302 and the 300 inliner, the 302 would normally get better mpg from my experience. I pulled over 17 normally from the old 302 extended cab F150 I had, aod and 3.55's, loaded up XLT and a full toolbox, and it only had two throttle positions. Open and closed.

The comparison I was drawing was your example of a stripped 300 six getting 15, about the same mileage as my loaded 351 ... 15mpg roughly.

I have a buddy at work with a 5.3 extended cab, loaded up, and he turns over 20 all the time. Not sure what gear, but I doubt they are 4.10's. No worries, just asking - is it just me or do the v8's of the same displacement seem to be a bit more efficient?

oh - and it given that the 351 is somewhere 30% larger than the 262... the mpg almost fits a scale. ;)

Carry on, derail over. ;D

Comment

Fusions have been great. About the only issue we have seen with a few of them is premature brake wear on the rear. The 2010 cars got a bit of a restyle, and some mechanical revisions, they are very nice. The 4-cylinder in those is a 2.5L with 175 hp, and a 6-speed trans ... plenty of guts. My sister has an 08 with the V6 that she really enjoys.

cheers
            Ed N.
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I get lousey mileage with my ford v-6.....dissappointing as that was why I opted for it over the V-8

also, from the title of this post I thought you were getting a mistress.
              Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

The new F150 with a twin turbo 3.5 liter engin gets good gas mileage and will run a constant 97mph in the 1/4 mile.
                OH YEAH
                Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                  Get a Town car, they last forever and you can put a lot of stuff in them at Costco.
                  I don't know what the advertised mpg is but we regularly got 25-28 on road trips and they're beyond bulletproof. Resale value is atrocious so a used one should be pretty easy on the wallet.
                  Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

can't get them around here , you have to outbid taxi companies for old town cars [used to be fleetwoods and roadmasters too ]

Comment

Working...
                    X