Brand Loyalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand Loyalty

When I was growing up my father was a MOPAR fanatic. He would not own anything American built unless it was a mopar. He had a thing for european sports cars but if it was American it had to be Mopar. Some of my cousins only had GM. Some were Ford. Family get togethers at holidays were always fun - Aruguing back and forth and every now and then a drag race in front of the house. Personally I can find models from every maker that I would love to own.

So - Are you a single brand junkie? Why?

Keep it clean please.

Re: Brand Loyalty

Yeah, I plead guilty!

My first car was an European Ford Taunus.
    When I tried it's topspeed once on the highway, it wouldn't go any faster than 150 km/u, about 93 mph.
    And right after that, the timingbelt jumped a tooth, which made me have to limp home on the side of the road. No more Fords for me... ;)
    Sold the Ford and bought a '78 Pontiac Bonneville. My first American car.
    And a little later I bought my first 'Mopar' next to the Pontiac, a '67 Newport.
    What struck me was how easy it was to wrench on this older Newport compared to the Poncho.
    Then when I bought my 3rd American car, a stretched '64 Chrysler Newport, the street where I lived became a little crowded with all this iron. The Poncho started developing all kinds of annoying issues so I put it up for sale. As a 'thank you' the car treated me with a blown headgasket, so I wasn't done with it yet. Fixed the headgasket and sold the car with a foot-wide puddle of oil under it to the next vict, ehm 'owner'... Which knew about it's oily problem before he bought it.

Since I found wrenching on these older Mopars was to be soo much simpler I stuck with the brand. It's also better you have to store parts for only one brand of car, then for more brands. ;)
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I don't have any particular brand loyalty. I've owned Mopars, GM's, Fords, VW's, a couple of Hondas, and a Nissan.

Comment

I can appreciate all brands, and they all have their flaws and strengths. I have been more of a Ford guy all of my life, but I have worked on pretty much all of the Big Three and the AMC V8s and had good fortune with them.

The fun is what you learn from how each company approached an engineering issue, and take the best that they all did and apply it to your hot rod. If you put a 3 link and panhard under a Chevelle, Lemans, Skylark, you'd be surprised how similar they feel to a '65 Galaxie on a twisty road. Line in and power it out, no wallow or bind. The more power you have the better it comes out. I put the Ford setup under a 4 door Coronet (and it was a fair challenge, but surprisingly not as hard as you would think when your buddy owned a junkyard) for "commerce" and it makes you wish mama Pentastar had done it. A hot 440 and that rear was wicked fast.

In the words of Forrest Gump "Thats all I have to say about that..."

Comment

ahhh this is where Keith makes people Mad at him... and frankly on this subject I'm fairly okay with it...

Anyone who can't appreciate a car for what it is regardless of it's brand... isn't a Car guy.... he's a X brand guy... ( I toned that down twice ).... Any body that works on his junk past the point of car wax and seat covers... gets a look... once I see the work is tidy and nice... it's worth a Nod... anybody that does exceptional work... or stuff I've never seen gets and honest appraisal... and compliments commensurate with the quality of the work... Innovation gets a stunned response today... cause it's hard to be different in a sea of average... Whom ever said that people when stuck in large groups imitate each other is spot on.... those that innovate... don't follow the crowd... so on and so forth... those guys are my hero's... and I don't give two hoots what's on the hubcap...

I see this all the time... Blind loyalty to junk... if you like Mopars for example.... and couldn't see that the non-turbo'd cumming's was junk in comparison to the 7.3 turbo Ford truck... Notice I didn't even include chevorlet in the fray.... cause it didn't even qualify as junk... Seriously... I went out to make this exact purchase.... drove three different vehicles and was totally stunned at the difference... today there isn't a diesel truck on the market that I'd have.... the Chevy comes close... but not close enough...

Oh quit groaning.... come on ... admit it... I'm freaking right... and I'm not a Ford fan... I'm just a fan of the right thing for the job...

I'm going to duck down now and hide behind my screen... cause the loony's are fixing to come out and say junk like...." If it ain't a Pontiac why did you buy it". ahhhhh cause it was 68 light weight Hemi for 300 bucks? hmmm LOL.... okay dreaming... but you get the point...

Keith ( I went out two years ago and bought another 7.3 ford cause I was worried my last one wouldn't make it till someone made a better motor )

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
            ... if you like Mopars for example....
            snip
            ...I'm going to duck down now and hide behind my screen... cause the loony's are fixing to come out ...
            Nice try Keith but I'm not falling for that trapdoor... ;D ;D

But I have to admit, when it comes to Mopars... yes, sometimes I CAN look through a keyhole with both eyes at the same time... : :D :D
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I'm with the Turkolator here. It's all just whirling metal trying to get its job done. I just like something that for what it is, really impresses. Naturally aspirated Honda 2.2 making 240whp - impressive. 5.0 mustang making 240hp - dull. Huber's car - impressive. My car - dull.

Comment

As I get older I seem to like other brands, I will always be partial to mustangs but my tastes are changing, too bad my budget has not !!!. I have worked on the occasional Camaro, Nova and Mopar in the past!!

Comment

Why yes you have Paul.... and in some cases more then say....CHAD.... LOL course he worked on it a lot before we left so we'll give him credit for making sure it showed up!!!...

K

Comment

Originally posted by BillBallinger Sr
                    The fun is what you learn from how each company approached an engineering issue, and take the best that they all did and apply it to your hot rod.
                    like the mopar leafs holding the ford rearend in my 55 chevy?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

See Jim... that's why your my hero... and cause you dig "Selectric's " and are willing to admit it...

K

Comment

Well these are cars currently at my house

1971 Camaro (Daves) My favorite of course!!!
                        1969 Road Runner (father in laws) While nice is the BIGGEST (in many ways) pain in the ass, the shit breaks faster then I can fix it.
                        06 Ford fusion (wifes dd) nice car but comes standard with squeaks and rattles of many kinds
                        07 Saturn ion (my dd) Just plain old plastic thats about all I can say.

So no Im not brand loyal. I would drive most anything old. Big block small block 6/4cyl. Doesnt really matter. I see them all as works of art the fact that someone just thought of the design is amazing in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          Originally posted by BillBallinger Sr
                          The fun is what you learn from how each company approached an engineering issue, and take the best that they all did and apply it to your hot rod.
                          like the mopar leafs holding the ford rearend in my 55 chevy?

Exactly. That is my creedo. If you make it work, steel doesn't care what it came off of. You build a car for a purpose, and that can be a multitude of things you use to make it do its best. A Volare clip in the front of a '53-'56 F100 makes that baby like a Lincoln. A '56 big window F100 with a Volare clip and all of the really nice interior touches they put in those trucks is a taking it to a new level, and even cooler if you just heat up a Y-block for power. Love it. Thats what rodding is about to me.

Comment

Even though I'm running just another Camaro with the typical inline six in the process of being built, I like to make sure I do everything just like everybody else does. NOT! And my 5.8l Mustang. And the 215 Buick powered Vega and 455 Buick powered Chevy truck from my past. And the slant 6 Duster, and 3 Road Runners, and the MGB and the '74 Celica . Like Keith, I like 'em all. I just can't understand how anyone could fail to dig interesting iron, even if you favor owning one brand or other. I have friends who will own nothing but Hondas - go figger!

Dan

Comment

Love the Bowtie but have owner almost everything. I guess I get older I have gotten back to good old American Muscle. I find it hard to believe that 10-20 years from now there will be a demand for an old Honda or Toyota.

Comment

Working...
                              X