Some old pics of cars I used to have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some old pics of cars I used to have

Well of coarse this wouldn't turn out like I thought it would. Most the pics are sideways and I can't seem to rotate them.

Anyway...here was my first car, a '66 chevy II SS. I dug it out of a frozen pond in this guys front yard, after months of hounding him he finally let me have it for $500, but said I'd never get it out.

I spend all winter and every dollar I could get to rebuild the 350 and powerglide, and by spring I painted it when my dad went to work, I also painted the side of the house, the grass, the driveway, the neighbours yard, and every tree in sight.

Note the crappy job I did on the roof...This was the pic I had for the autotrader, I had to seel it quick because I just took out a loan and borrowed a few bucks from my Dad to buy the camaro in the back ground.

It had a 454 out of a tow truck, a L-88 cam with solid lifters I got from a friends dad, a cast iron Holley intake I thought I scored at a junk yard, a 750 holley, a nitrous kit I bought by clipping out an add in the back of a Hot Rod magazine and sending in a check.
    3.73 gear, 2500 converter, and a B&M shift kit that my Dad help me with. It had power windows, door locks, rear window defroster, and was pretty heavy. I think it weighed around 3800lbs and like to smash bearings. It ran low 13's here and to me was a rocket compared to my 15 second Chevy II.

I spent more time working on it than driving it, so I had to get another car, but before I sold it it ran low 11's (11.20) at 118, I had a PAW catalog by then and got new pistons, cam, intake, oil pan and rebuilt it in the garage.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Re: Some old pics of cars I used to have

MORE!!!
    ;D
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Oh, I have more, so far it all started in 1984 and we are around 1986 or so.

This one was at Polar Raceway in Palmer, Alaska....nice wheels huh?

I used to travel 120 miles round trip to fill the bottle, but it was worth it because I was a hero back then, not too many people used the stuff back in 1985.
      Originally posted by TC

Comment

Remember those LeBra's....LOL
        I must confess it came with the car when I got it, but then again I used to put it on when I drove it on the street.
        I hate them now, but it was the '80's and I was 16-17.

I did like the corvette wheels though. I had 396 springs, gas shocks, sway bars, wide tires in the front....I've out grown all those things, but I used to listen to people back then and thought I had to have it.
        Originally posted by TC

Comment

Okay, this was one of my favorites but I don't have many pics of it. I had to get another car to drive to work and school, so I found a Monza with a 151 4 banger. After about 6 months it started using more oil than gas, so my Dad let me borrow his Blazer for a bit while we put the 350 than I got with the camaro in it. It seamed to be a night mare finding all the parts, nothing fit as easy as I was told. The radiator, transmission, driveshaft, fan, water pump.....I still remember it.
          Anyway, when it was finaly done my Dad told me to take it easy.....Yeah, right!

Originally posted by TC

Comment

Okay, last one for the night.
            Kinda a weird story, but one day I was rumaging through the '79 camaro, I had the seats out and I found the build sheet under the back seat. Much to my dismay I found out it was a berlinetta and not a Z28. I felt flush, and could have taken my girl friend cheating on me better. I ran in the house and told my Dad, I remember saying...."but it has sway bars, it has Z28 on the inside, it has the vent's." Slowly I came to terms with it and it had to go....Besides I really wanted a '78 anyway, I liked the dash better and the graphics. That's probably the only difference.
            Anyway I got this one owner (girl), 50,000 mile perfict 1978 Z28. I searched everywhere for it, but it was exactly what I wanted. (I had already hacked the exhaust off and put traction bars on by this photo...Doh!

I still have it, and we have been through a lot togather in the last 24 years.
            Originally posted by TC

Comment

can't hardly beat vintage pics!! wish I wouldn't have lost that stuff.
              Maybe I can clear this up.....I thought the cop was a prostitute.

Comment

thought everybody in alaska had C10s

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  thought everybody in alaska had C10s
                  Those and 4x4 subarus right?
                  My attitude has since changed, but when I lived there I couldn't wait until I left the place. The track was only open from May to September if we were lucky and I can't count how many times it was rained out.
                  That's why I moved to Florida, I thought I'd be able to race everyweekend. I just didn't take into account how my bills would affect my how much money I would have for racing.

Orlando Speed World, around 1990....No helmet!

A Super Chevy race at Bradenton, Florida probably around 1995 or so.

Back at Orlando around 1995 again.

This was my new 350, probably just a few days before I backed it into a guard rail at Orlando, I have a few pics of all the damage and when I fixed it, but they are Polaroid pics....It ended up getting a new back half (2x3 frame rails and 6pt bar) new quarters and a nice shiny black paint job.
                  I think I'm going to just go get a scaner when I have a chance because I have a box with 100's of pics.

Originally posted by TC

Comment

WOW!.....Its funny how our lives have mirrored each others in a way....love the pics
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                      WOW!.....Its funny how our lives have mirrored each others in a way....love the pics
                      Thanks,
                      I think we all have been down a similar road.
                      Originally posted by TC

Comment

Great pics and cool story line... get your ass to the store and get that scanner.
                        I wanna' see/hear more!

mardyn

Comment

yes , moving to florida to race = selling the race car to live in florida

oh no , never again

Comment

neat stuff I had a flat black 78 Z28, it had the little snorkel scoop too!!
                            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                              yes , moving to florida to race = selling the race car to live in florida

oh no , never again
                              Florida had it's good and bad points for me, it only took me a few days to get there, but took me 10 years to leave.
                              I have it pretty good now, I go down there at least a half dozen times a year.

I'll work on this more when I get back next week. I just recieved a couple videos now, all on VHS tape, there has to be a way to put them on youtube or something.
                              Originally posted by TC

Comment

Working...
                              X