Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Rent an On-site Storage Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Ever Rent an On-site Storage Box?

I was hoping I could shuffle the stuff around in the shop and get by without removing stuff as I construct the mezzanine. Well, it ain't gonna happen. The best option I can come up with is to rent a storage box/POD or some such. Looks like this will be a $260/mo deal after checking with different companies. That's for the first month and pick up and delivery. Is this about right or am I getting hosed? Any downsides to this deal?

Dan

Re: Anyone Ever Rent an On-site Storage Box?

those are big time illegal around here
    " look like tobacco road " was the quote

Comment

I rented one for a few months 3 years ago when I built the new garage. I think that sounds about right Dan but I would shop around anyway.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Hosed, no. Overcharged for something you are renting, maybe. Those PODS were like the state flower down in FL after hurricane Charlie. Depending on how long you need it you might be better off building a storage shed.
        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

That's a good price. You could check out renting a trailer, sometimes they are cheaper and then you can move it if you have to.

Check with a trucking company, maybe somebody would rent you a cargo container.
          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I agree with Matt. Check out prices on the delivered to you "Amish built" sheds. Another route is an enclosed tent like what northern/HF sells.... or what about a regular tent maybe a couple of pallets in the bottom. I hate renting stuff but it usually makes better economic sense. My customers get them on occasion and $200 a month is about going rate. On a side note I have watched a customer load one full and the whole time think to my self "a dumpster would have bin cheaper".

Steve
            Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

PODS are the most expensive - especially if you're not going to have them store it/move it for you.

some other options to consider
              1) buy a shipping container (~1600 here) - which can either be sold or transformed for other uses
              2) buy a used semi-trailer (last I got were 2 for 2000 45'ers) - many of the large fleets retire old trailers, in this case they were cheaper then shipping containers because I didn't have to rent a tow truck and I sold the landing gear/truck axles for about what I paid for the entire trailers.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                That's a good price. You could check out renting a trailer, sometimes they are cheaper and then you can move it if you have to.

Check with a trucking company, maybe somebody would rent you a cargo container.
                trailer might keep the building inspector away

Comment

ABF Freight has pup trailers for people that move, maybe they would rent one for a bit.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll only need it for a month so I really don't want to buy something. If I lived in a more rural area I'd probably buy a shipping container (Wilmington is a container port and they're cheap and plentiful) but it REALLY won't fit in around here. I just need to unload the shop for a month or less (I hope!) to get the mezzanine in place. Guess I'll go with the cheapest bid and call it good.

The other thing is that it'll be easier to use if I don't have to lift stuff into it. A semi trailer would be a real PITA to use in my situation. A friend in MI has an old pup trailer and it's done well for him but he uses it for long term storage so he isn't taking stuff in and out of it very often.

So far the best price is from Tidewater, a local firm that rents shipping containers. A 20 footer is $88/mo but they charge another $88 each way to deliver it and pick it up. It's about the same price as E-Z Box or PODS but it's quite a bit bigger. Guess I'll go that way.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                      Thanks, guys. I'll only need it for a month so I really don't want to buy something. Dan

Dan, are you feeling okay? That sentence sounds reasonable, rational, and based on common sense.... in short, it's against everything we stand for here ;D
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Every once in a while I CAN be a grown-up. Don't worry - it won't last. Remember WHY I want this thing. I'm putting the Mezzmahal into a shop that's already way bigger than most folks have for their "dream shop". Seems odd that I can't find a place in the existing shop to shove all the junk I have out of the way to do a bit of construction but I can't.

Dan

Comment

isn't there a storage place near you?
                          most are 99 a month

Comment

Is there a scrap metal yard near you? If you take it there, they give you money, and you don't need to bring it back home with you.

Or maybe the stuff you have sitting around is more useful than the stuff I had sitting around....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The stuff that's going up on the mezz is mostly good stuff - tires, infrequently used tools, metal stock, etc. I've pretty much already trashed the stuff I really don't need. Although I DO need to take a Dakota load of removed Camaro parts to the salvage yard. I've tried to find someone who could use the take-offs but to no avail. But that's a small part of the total.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X