Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever bought something and said "oh... well it looked smaller"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever bought something and said "oh... well it looked smaller"?

Today my mill tooling and supplies finally showed up after 2 months of waiting and getting shipped to the wrong address. The parallels were perfect and while import items, the ball mills will suit me just fine for as often as I'm likely to use them.

However I bought a mill vice and got lost in the 7.5in jaw opening spec and didn't realize how freak'n huge this thing is!!! I mean it means I won't out grow it but sometimes I wonder if I've sacrificed some handiness (is that a word?) for a spec I thought I could eventually use...

Anyone else got a story of how they got lost in a particular spec and ended up with a monster?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Ever bought something and said "oh... well it looked smaller"?

I can honestly say it has never looked smaller than it is.

Wait, what?

Comment

that's what she said

7.5" opening? wow. Mine is about 5 or so and it's way too big for the 7x30 table. And the jaws are 6" wide.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I recently used a good vice to hold a suby cylinder head... I guess its anvil chunk is around 35-50 pounds..never thought of it as big.

I can say I have never ever never bought anyhting and thought: it is bigger than I expected.

never.

..the only surprise would be finding cyl heads with smaller chambers than normal. Never got that lucky either.. :

I guess the litle sube has surprised me in more than one place... expecting a part smaller, like digging into bearings at the wheels. No. they did go an extra...
        stuff like that is always good.

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This started out as a medium sized toybox for my then-unborn son. 2' x 3' x 18" doesn't seem so big when you're working in a giant shop built for fixing combines. When you put it in a tiny apartment, well, that's a whole other story....

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            that's what she said

7.5" opening? wow. Mine is about 5 or so and it's way too big for the 7x30 table. And the jaws are 6" wide.

I think our tables are the same size, it's a 6in jaw x7.5in opening vice on a rotating mount. It weight in the neighborhood of 75-80lbs I think. I'm honestly slightly regretting buying it because while it will work and allow me to put a cylinder head in it.... why would I do that with almost 0 mill experience or why not clamp it to the table. It's an eBay purchase (new) so trading it in I'm not sure how it'd work. I'll have to put it on the table and see just how much space I loose before I contact the seller about it.

Back to my question, I've nearly bought a parts car for probably 6 items I needed off of it. Fortunately my best friend talked me out of it.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by cruisefever

This started out as a medium sized toybox for my then-unborn son. 2' x 3' x 18" doesn't seem so big when you're working in a giant shop built for fixing combines. When you put it in a tiny apartment, well, that's a whole other story....
              Wow, did the same thing for my sons. Man those flat boards turn into big boxes.

Comment

Working...
              X