302 sbf build-up questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 302 sbf build-up questions

ive really been thinking of building up the 302 in my mustang for now until i have enough money to do an engine swap and i was thinking of doing something along the lines of this one posted below except ill be reusing my edelbrock performer intake and i was thinking of maybe stepping up to the the trick flow stage 2 cam since the springs in the heads are good for .600 lift.

i was wondering if anybody has any first-hand experience with these heads and if theyre any good, these are the ones used in the build-up

and i was also wondering if i could use the trick flow stage 2 cam with the stock pistons, or would i have ptv clearance issues?

this is the cam im talking about
    Free Shipping - Trick Flow® Track Max® Hydraulic Roller Camshafts for Ford 5.0L with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Camshafts at Summit Racing.

and last but not least, would 210cc heads and a 0.542 int./0.563 exh. lift cam be too much for a 302? or should i stick with the stage 1 cam and use the 190cc heads?

and would my edelbrock dual plane intake restrict the combo? or should i just stick with that over the single-plane?

i might put a 331 or 347 stroker in the car in the future so id like to stick with the 210cc heads, but i dont have my mind 100% made up on what i want to do yet

thanks for all the advice guys!!! ;)

Re: 302 sbf build-up questions

and would i be better off using one of the ford racing alphabet cams like the f303, x303 or z303? or no?

Comment

Be careful with the Pro Comp heads,they are Chinese Knock-offs and are known to have valve seats get loose and porosity issues,among other problems.There are tons of write ups on the various Forums on the flaws in Pro Comp products.Save your money and get some good heads. ROY.

Comment

The ProComp heads are known to be usefull as door stops, thats about it, unless you put a ton of $$$ into them, by then ya coulda bought trickflows etc....

Comment

I've seen good and bad about the pro comp, but I also think Any "race" head will need money put into it to make sure it is set up right... you can't take a 600.00 and put it up against prepped Victor Jr's and expect them to be the same. Anyway, here's some good reading for you:

Manufacturer of high performance cylinder heads and manifolds for ford and chevy

This is probably the group of heads that I would be looking at for a street 302 growing into a 331 or 347. I personally have a thing for the AFR's, but this is a back to back and they are all pretty dang close to each other.

The lot of guys hate the alphabet cams and love the tfs cams... I'm sure you will hear "Old technology" used a lot. MMFF sticks alphabet cams in everything from time to time. I can't really say much more than I've always been happy with Comp's stuff and maybe you can find a used one that somebody outgrew? That is what I love about roller cams. Ultimately, I'd think about getting a custom cam but I'm not looking for every last pony.

Bill (Min301) will also be quick to show you the 400 hp 302 with AFR165's and a stock HO cam. IIRC, it was with an Air Gap though and that's just a badass piece of equipment. It's in the same section of Articles on AFR's page. Interesting read. There are similar builds with the AFR185's and I'd be leaning that way for some growing room. They work well on 351's and mild strokers. Take a look at the articles on the 392 with them...

I am on the fence with the procomps having never used them - I'm half tempted to get a pair just to see how bad they are... I think the 210 was reportedly a victor jr ripoff which is not really aimed at a street 302.

Comment

Just a thought... would you be money ahead to purchase the swap motor now and rebuild it rather than spend money on something that will be replaced?
            I know you have 2 mustangs so this motor would be used but that said you also have two mustangs one to enjoy while the other is down getting the transplant...

my .02 ;D
            Jeff
            Follow My Build

Comment

can't go wrong with world products ...

Comment

I disagree, I think world has crappy castings, core shift. unless you are going to grind on them. IMO a procomp is a better casting.... seriously.

Comment

You could go for Dart's new SBF Top End Kits. It is expensive, though. This may be one of the easiest ways to really wake your 5.0 up. Would this work? Tell me what you think.

http://www.dartheads.com/products/to...-end-kits.html

Comment

I had a set of dart 2 sr on the blazer ..good quality back in ...............1992

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                      I've seen good and bad about the pro comp, but I also think Any "race" head will need money put into it to make sure it is set up right... you can't take a 600.00 and put it up against prepped Victor Jr's and expect them to be the same. Anyway, here's some good reading for you:

Manufacturer of high performance cylinder heads and manifolds for ford and chevy

This is probably the group of heads that I would be looking at for a street 302 growing into a 331 or 347. I personally have a thing for the AFR's, but this is a back to back and they are all pretty dang close to each other.

The lot of guys hate the alphabet cams and love the tfs cams... I'm sure you will hear "Old technology" used a lot. MMFF sticks alphabet cams in everything from time to time. I can't really say much more than I've always been happy with Comp's stuff and maybe you can find a used one that somebody outgrew? That is what I love about roller cams. Ultimately, I'd think about getting a custom cam but I'm not looking for every last pony.

Bill (Min301) will also be quick to show you the 400 hp 302 with AFR165's and a stock HO cam. IIRC, it was with an Air Gap though and that's just a badass piece of equipment. It's in the same section of Articles on AFR's page. Interesting read. There are similar builds with the AFR185's and I'd be leaning that way for some growing room. They work well on 351's and mild strokers. Take a look at the articles on the 392 with them...

I am on the fence with the procomps having never used them - I'm half tempted to get a pair just to see how bad they are... I think the 210 was reportedly a victor jr ripoff which is not really aimed at a street 302.

I'd push for a 351w, but a 302
                      can be made to scream cheaply.
                      Any more help we can provide, feel free to ask.

Comment

ive heard the afr 165's actually arent that great and the dyno they used to test them put out higher numbers than it actually made. and they put that motor in a car and had trouble breaking out of the 13's with it.

do any of you guys have first hand experience with the afr 165's or 185's?

and i dont wanna go spending a bunch of money on a top end "kit" either, if im gonna spend that much ill just drop in a 6.0 and if im gonna use iron heads ill just use gt40's. although if i could get a good deal on some name brand heads( afr's, edelbrock's, trick flows etc.) id pick them up, id really like to run trick flow twisted wedge heads on it because ive seen a set of those do some amazing things haha....but, i dont have the $1400 for them either

would gt40's be a better choice than the pro comps? could i make 300rwhp and run at least mid-to-low 12's with them and a nice cam?

and does anybody know about how big of a cam i can run w/o having ptv clearance issues? could i run the trick flow stage 2?

and do any of you guys have any first-hand experience with the more popular cams like the trick flow track max's and alphabet cams?

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony
                          Just a thought... would you be money ahead to purchase the swap motor now and rebuild it rather than spend money on something that will be replaced?
                          I know you have 2 mustangs so this motor would be used but that said you also have two mustangs one to enjoy while the other is down getting the transplant...

my .02 ;D
                          cant do that now, just sold the 86 the other day for $800 (what i paid for it) after i robbed two front seats, pony wheels and 4 alpine speakers from it ;D

Comment

That's Brule on the Westech dyno ... it always seems a little "Happy" but it sells magazines. LACR, which I believe closed, was like 2700 feet above sea level also so 13's there is like 12's at Englishtown (55-60 feet I think).

There's a lot of guys who spend a lot of time to get 300 rwhp, there is documentation all over the net for them. If you can find fresh Gt40's, they'll wake it up upstairs, but don't expect more low end torque. You'll start noticing about the same time you notice the cop's lights. That's why Bill is saying 351...

You want to measure Piston to Valve no matter what. Just plan on it and do it.

not sure why I reply though, tomorrow morning you'll want a Whipple on a 4G63 with a 18 speed. Hahahaha. j/k.

Comment

Didn't see you sold your mustang other wise I wouldn't have said that.

If I remember right, I think there was a white notch 5.0 over on corral that someone was building as a factory stock type car.
                              They started with susp. and gears and throttle body and I think they got to 13's or 12's in a hurry. I think they ended up putting gt40's (ported??) injectors, and a some other goodies and they guy is running 11's on a pretty tight budget. I have the link saved but its on my laptop which the power cord my basset hound thought was a chew toy. I will send it your way when I get back up and running.

I have read alot of people running ported gt40's, 1.7 rr, and alphabet cams and in the 12's

With the twisted wedge heads do you have to notch the pistons? I thought those were big valve or something? IIRC you do.

I would say a good start would be gt40's, alphabet cam, 1.7rr, headers, elec fan. would be a great start.

Jeff
                              Follow My Build

Comment

Working...
                              X