Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whaddaya think of this guy's engine building techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whaddaya think of this guy's engine building techniques?

I've got my opinions, but I'd like to hear yours....
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Re: Whaddaya think of this guy's engine building techniques?

must work if he posted his way.

My own have been nasty, fast...
    I only did one outside at a friends house,

I slapped one together in a november.

2 different manifolds, rod bearings needing over size was by eyeball judgement...

torque just once, go with it. oil pump slapped in, used melling from some place else...

start it quick find witch rockers wanted out of the head and tighten while oil is flying.

;D

they are simply bruts with low tolerances... a jap engine would sneeze back at you after doing some of the above.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

what I saw wasnt too messed up, I didnt watch the whole thing, I have a little A.D.D :P
      did something weird happen later ???
      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

He wouldn't be the guy to install my cam, thats for sure. The engine guys I know install the cam first thing with the block sitting on it's ass, and lower the cam straight down and in.

It did look nice, and he is very neat and organized anyways.
        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman71
          what I saw wasnt too messed up, I didnt watch the whole thing, I have a little A.D.D :P
          Everything very neat and organized, but ohhh, a few little things like rinsing EVERYTHING with gas, calling a connecting rod a "rocker arm"... lotsa little stuff that scared me.

Mustang, I like your idea on cam installation vertically. Good stuff.
          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Junior johnson used to use all different bore sizes in 1 engine and kicked everyone's ass

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony
              Originally posted by oldsman71
              Everything very neat and organized, but ohhh, a few little things like rinsing EVERYTHING with gas, calling a connecting rod a "rocker arm"... lotsa little stuff that scared me.

Mustang, I like your idea on cam installation vertically. Good stuff.
              sorry I should have paid attn man :-[, cleaning wth gas, thats goofy and dangerous!! not knowing what stuffs called is odd :-\ some utube vids on be hard to watch, but good ones are alot of help sometimes
              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Kinda thought it funny at the first part....
                says you can tell it's a two bolt main 'cause
                they got two bolts in 'em
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

That's my standard Tech Tip when such things are requested. I've been doing it that way for decades and no one showed me the trick. I just kind of figured it out, being a student of gravity (It's the LAW!).

Dan

Originally posted by mustang13
                  He wouldn't be the guy to install my cam, thats for sure. The engine guys I know install the cam first thing with the block sitting on it's ass, and lower the cam straight down and in.

It did look nice, and he is very neat and organized anyways.

Comment

Whaddaya think of this guy's engine building techniques?

Wow!!
                    I've always enjoyed assembling engines so even with stock stuff I put them together carefully.
                    I've never seen anyone file fit rings the way he did it. There is a correct tool for that. And he obviously didn't know that the rings should be staggered in the bore. I'd put the cam in before the crank so if there is a problem with the cam bearing fit you can work on the bearings. He checked the crank for bearings clearance but didn't mention whether he checked front to back clearance. Doesn't take a lot more time to degree in the cam. I want the engine to run as well as it can for what it is. I'm sure most picked up on cleaning with gas. That's not a good idea for a number of reasons. Guess he doesn't have an air compressor. I use soap & water to clean a bare block, blow if off and then hit it with PB Blaster to keep it from rusting.

Hole bunch of stuff but that's the stuff that comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 1320 Bowtie
                      I'd put the cam in before the crank so if there is a problem with the cam bearing fit you can work on the bearings.
                      Buick's can be a different beast, but I'd at least have the main caps torqued on to simulate any block distortion in the cam area. I last did cam bearings with the crank, rods/pistons all installed though because I didn't want to remove them.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I dunno, everybody has a different technique I suppose. I've seen guys put together a motor that I wanted to be FAR away from when thet first fired it and other guys who looked like they knew what they were doing but didn't. I guess it comes down to if the thing runs perfect for 180,000 miles or it pukes the bottom end after 10 minutes.
                        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

He is much more organized and working in a clean area than I was assembling my motor outside. Gas does work well for cleaning. It evaporates away quickly. It's not like he is dipping parts in a bucket of the stuff. He just puts some on a blue rag and wipes away. I'd rather use brakeclean. It's almost entirely alcohol.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

He was saying how you had to put the assembly lube all over the cam is it me or did he out it in dry?? That also not true on the piston rings what he was saying about the dot always being the top ring. The stuff I've used lately the second ring is the only one with a dot and probably 80 percent of the rings don't have dots. 24 rocker arms for a sbc is way too many ;D

Comment

should wipe everything down with coca cola

Comment

Working...
                              X