tremec t-56 6spd questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tremec t-56 6spd questions

i found a t-56 6spd trans out of an LS1 powered camaro on craigslist for $700 obo,

i was wondering how hard it would be to put this trans in my monte? and where would i get the clutch pedals etc. ?

and is the t-56 a hydraulic or cable transmission?

and iirc the torque ratings on these are 450 lb ft, right?

Re: tremec t-56 6spd questions

Hydraulic clutch if I'm remembering correctly. Weren't the Camaro T56's turned slightly or something like that?
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly
      Weren't the Camaro T56's turned slightly or something like that?
      i have no clue ???

Comment

Digging around to see if I can find it, I'll chime in if I figure it out. Going from memory from 10 years ago, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong. :-\
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Here's something that might help.
          http://www.darklair.com/manual_monte.html
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Hydraulic clutch if I'm remembering correctly. Weren't the Camaro T56's turned slightly or something like that?
            might have been. I know the early 3rd gens with the Saginaw 4 speeds were turned a bit towards the driver.

I'm interested in getting one for the Impala.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

thanks for showing me that!

in it, it states that there are straight and canted bellhousings, so i think the f-body transmission is tilted towards the driver, but couldnt i just get the bellhousing out of something else that uses a straight-up one?

and how hard would this be to maybe put in the mustang? ;D

id need a bellhousing, trans crossmember and what else? would i have to get a new clutch?

Comment

I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for. > I'll try digging through my magazine back issues and see if I can find anything for you.
                Originally posted by 1988montecarloss

in it, it states that there are straight and canted bellhousings, so i think the f-body transmission is tilted towards the driver, but couldnt i just get the bellhousing out of something else that uses a straight-up one?

id need a bellhousing, trans crossmember and what else? would i have to get a new clutch?
                I know it was a fairly easy swap into an SN95 Mustang, but I've never messed with one in a Fox body before. I know it can be done though.

EDIT: The T56 is a big mother, so you might have to beat the trans tunnel into submission and possibly a shortened driveshaft.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Clutch disc needs the same size and spline count as input shaft of trans.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver

Clutch disc needs the same size and spline count as input shaft of trans.
                    alright, i know next to nothing about clutches/flywheels since ive never had to work on them.

could i use the stock flywheel and just get a t56 specific clutch?

Comment

Get fast, Free Standard Shipping on orders over Summit Racing Equipment from $99 -- no shipping, handling, or rural fees! Exclusions apply.

you can put anything behind anything but it's gonna be $$$. Plan on two grand even with the 700.00 box that you don't know the history of. Not to put a damper on your dreaming or anything. ;D

You might find pedals, as they put 3 and 4 speeds in the G body. This would be a lot of coin though. HotRod TV did one a few years back, might see if you can find the writeup on that.

pretty good idea of what all you'll need here.

Comment

The ls1 t56 won't bolt directly to the sbc in the monte. The input shaft is about
                        .750 longer you can make a spacer. In my opinion you'd be better off with a lt1
                        T56 altough I'm not sure what year motor you have in the Monte 1 or 2 piece rear
                        Seal. 1 piece you can use the stock lt1 flywheel 2 piece you'll have it buy an aftermarket wheel.
                        You may be able to get a clutch pedal kit for a Monte not sure about that though. You could for a 78-87 el
                        Camino. If you find any lt1 t56 for 700 let me know ;D

Comment

hurst driveline makes a clutch pedal kit for the g car , didn't gene buy one ?

Comment

Shop the official site of Hurst shifters for automatic and manual vehicles. Reduce your vehicle's shift throw by up to 35% or more at Holley.com!

Comment

my buddy richie inherited his grandfather's 79 malibu
                              his first mod was a an m21 from a 71 chevelle , hacked up the pedals and linkage , the clutch pushrod used to pop out at the worst times
                              it was 1986 , and I hit the parts catalog at my dealer - got everything from a 78 malibu saginaw 4 speed clutch assemble , even the bell housing , then the m21 got to be troublesome , so it got switched to super t10 , 400 small blocks really tear up 4 speeds

Comment

Working...
                              X