Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you could only have ONE hobby car

Originally posted by AFFORDILLAC
    ....but I would stick with my VW bugs. Drag race, slammum hard(dragin the pan hard), Cal Look, Resto Cal, TOTALLY BAJA, Rat Rod, autoX, alternative power plants ;), ...they even float!!! What cant you do with one???
    My reasoning exactly, Beetle all the way. I'd drive a Beetle every day, including through Canadian winters ;D.

Sure it doesn't have a V8, but damn man, they're a ton of fun. They're small/light enough to get good fuel mileage, park in the city, and still have decent room inside the car. I'd toss some EFI on a stock VW block, do some mild performance work, and say F-off to all the so called modern econo-boxes.

Time to get the '70 Beetle off the back burner!

Comment

Another hard question. If only one, and for life at that, it would have to be a 1964 R3 Studebaker Lark, two door post w/t10 four speed and all the high performance factory goodies.

Comment

66 thru 68 half cab ford bronco. Easy to alter and chevy powered for affordability.
        Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

This a topic that I don't like thinking about-my interests are too broad to make one car do it all as it is. Only one forever? '67 Vette. They have always been just out of my grasp, and the gap keeps widening but if knew for sure that I could never have one I might not have the hope to carry on. Wanted one all my life, more than anything else.

I am trying to make do with just one hotrod now. My '91 Camaro is going to have to be an autocross car, open track day car, drag car, power tour car, and fun driver. That means it's a huge compromise in every area, and it's also a huge compromise in the type of car I'm starting with. I would much rather be doing the same with my Cutlass because those vintage and type of cars are the ones I really like. But I can't afford to build the thing in any reasonable time frame because everything for it is so expensive now, and it's so old that it needs so much. And to make it worse, cars like that aren't "normal cars" anymore-it stands out, and it's a target. I'm afraid to let it out of my sight and I can't just drive it to work, to the store, out to eat like you would a normal car. At least my newer Camaro blends in enough that I can just hop in and drive it whenever I want to, and if something happens to it I can replace it. I would have the same problem with a mid-year Vette but it would be worth it.

Comment

It would have to be either a Plymouth or Dodge "B" body from 64 through 67. Big and roomy for the street, not one on every street corner,and with the right engine combo can make the non-MOPAR people cry all the way home! :'(;D
            Plus I like the tapered b pillar, looks kinda sporty to me.

Comment

If I had to whittle the collection down to one, I guess it would be my '69 Dart GT. I've sworn to never, ever, ever sell it again. I sold it to my buddy Tim as part of the deal for the Mach 1, and I missed it so bad, I bugged him until he sold it back to me. Selling it was the dumbest thing I've ever done, and getting it back was the greatest feeling of relief. I've driven it cross-country, drag raced it, won my only trophy in it, taken it to car shows, been in parades, and driven it in the Woodward Dream Cruise many times. I've never driven the Mach 1, the Charger, or the Barracuda, so I don't really have that same emotional tie and memories of the good times we've had together that I do with the Dart.

Comment

Thats a really really tough one. Largely because the Riviera has such a limiting frame configuration till 71 though the 63-65 have the best lines and the smallest size for a RWD Riviera. If I was going to be limited to it but unlimited in what I could do with it. I'd pick a '65 Riviera.
                If its realistic about what I'd do to it, I'd have to compromise to a '65 Wildcat so I got the perimeter frame since custom frames are likely to be perimantly out of my reach. This would open up the drivetrain options a lot.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid
                  66 thru 68 half cab ford bronco. Easy to alter and chevy powered for affordability.
                  WHAT?!

Comment

Christine, red ,fins ,rag top and fast now that would be cool

Comment

Originally posted by msc66
                      Originally posted by CaminoKid
                      WHAT?!
                      yeah... thats what I thought. "affordability" is a cop out. :

I would take a 63 R code Galaxie or a 68 Galaxie fastback if the 63 wasnt available.

Comment

one car? no way....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

One car for the rest of my life....hard to shoose but one of my all time favorites is.....

1964 Plymouth Fury

Comment

Working...
                          X