Diesel Chip/Programmers, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Chip/Programmers, HELP!

I have a 2006 Duramax that I tow with, I'm thinking about a long trip and if I could increase my tow mileage from 9 mpg to 12 mpg that would mean fewer stops and I could save over 100 gallons in Diesel fuel which in turn could pay for part of the price of a Chip/Programmer, that's the way my mind works anyway! I don't care about making the Truck faster, I just need better fuel mileage. I went to the different Diesel boards on line and everybody claims the one they use is the best, I'm more confused now then I was before. How about it guys, has anybody had experience with any of these units?

Re: Diesel Chip/Programmers, HELP!

ummm , I would keep it stock , I installed a superchips in 2003 on some landscaper's 02 chev

seen enough trouble in the shop with aftermarket programs to say stay away

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      ummm , I would keep it stock , I installed a superchips in 2003 on some landscaper's 02 chev

seen enough trouble in the shop with aftermarket programs to say stay away
      I certainly value your opinion and I might very well leave it stock, I just thought it would be nice for the long tow. It seems like every other Duramax around here has a Programmer on it and even if you cut their "claimed" improvement in half it's still pretty awesome.

Comment

if you are out of warranty .......................

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          if you are out of warranty .......................
          Yep, the original owner bought it in November of 2005 so I'm on my own!

Comment

give it a try maybe , the superchips has a refresh back to stock tune , but you may never get the over boost codes out of it

Comment

I have a good friend w/an F350 that has the ATS 6 position chip and he loves it. He also added a bigger turbo and Rosewood injectors. The thing is an animal!...He pulls doubles (29' 5th wheel + 14' enclosed trailer) and he's around 13-14 in the mountains.

My brother has the Diablo Power Puck on his Dodge/Cummins and it made a noticeable difference in power and mileage .... running around town empty he's at 18-19 mpg, towing in the hills he's right around 14-15.

A friend I work with bought an 09 Dmax and got the Hypertech programmer from the dealer. He says he doesn't notice anything with or without it. I haven't ridden or driven his truck enough to say one way or another about the Dmax.

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I would talk to the guys that run shops, like Beans diesel performance in Tennessee, Rosewood in Ohio, - I've dealt with both of those guys in the past with excellent results.

Sometimes forums are as confusing as they are helpful - and this is certainly one of those areas, nearly every guy looking for a programmer has a different set up and different plans for his truck.

I've heard good things about the "edge" programers which also give you an active display / readout about the size of a typical GPS unit.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The EDGE is what they run around here just dont get greedy, would the long tow be to Drag Week? LOL
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

All the Duramax guys around my truck pulling circle swear by these guys for the Dmax:

http://www.ppediesel.com/

I can't give you any specific numbers, but all of the guys running them claim decent mpg improvments as well as noticeable power gains. My neighbor, who is a service manager at a GM dealership even recommends them to his customers. He recently had a guy come in with a 4500 that he had a Superchips installed on already, and was complaining about the horrible mileage, even with the tuner. My neighbor replaced the Superchips with a PPE, set up an economy/towing tune on it, and the customer was thrilled with the power/mpg improvements.
                    Still plays with trucks....

Comment

SuperChips or Hypertech for mileage...

go for it...
                      "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
                      X