X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Drive Semi

I've never heard of such a thing

Bit of a hefty price tag though
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: Chain Drive Semi

Mack used chain drive for a long time. I want to say from around 1910 up through the 1930's.

Comment

Yep, lots of old trucks were chain drive but, Mack, with the AC, and Sterling went the longest into the future using them.

My Grandfather had a 1928 AC Mack three axle truck, has they called them, they had a jumper chain on each side between the front axle and rear for drive.

Here is some good reading on the subject.

And here is a different kind of "chain drive" in the rear, that I bet many haven't seen before. These were build not to far from my home here in NY.

tenfourmagazine.com is a free monthly trucking magazine with parts houses, repair and services, dealers, classifieds, entertainment, A-Z directory and up to date articles.

Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

A very large NYC sand and gravel company used the Mack chain drive units untill the late 1960s.
        They stopped because the mechanic who kept them running retired or died. I remember running down the interstate in the late 60s and seeing one of the chains thrown from one of the trucks laying on the roadway.

Nick

Comment

Working...
        X