Clear All

Re: Chili cook off

sounds like this could be the beginning of a Bangshift Cookbook :D
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
      sounds like this could be the beginning of a Bangshift Cookbook :D
      I'll steal a camera and post something this weekend. Could be the start of something good! Thanks for the cornbread recipe Joe!
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

1 cup cornmeal
        1 cup flour
        1 tbl baking powder
        2 tbl cilantro
        1 egg
        1 cup milk
        1 cup creamed corn
        1 small onion chopped
        2 jalepeno seeded and diced
        1/4 cup butter or margarine
        1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated

sautee onions and jalepenos in butter or margarine until translucent

Mix dry ingredients
        beat egg, add milk and corn
        onion mixture
        cheese
        preheat oven to 400
        pour well mixed ingredients into 8''-10'' well buttered cast iron skillet
        bake for 35-40 minutes @400
        check with toothpick in center make sure it comes out clean, this usually takes 5-10 minutes more

comes out nice and brown ,enjoy

Comment

Ok, what would you guys rather see? Chili tamale casserole, sweet & spicy chicken, or shrimp linguine with spinach and walnuts?
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly
            Ok, what would you guys rather see? Chili tamale casserole, sweet & spicy chicken, or shrimp linguine with spinach and walnuts?
            Yes!
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Alright, today is the big day..I made my "quick and easy" chilli...

Can not wait to chow down at lunch.

The kids were pissed that i was tanking to work and not feeding it to them last night
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I won the cook off!

The best overall of 10 competitors...

There was no prize...just bragging rights

We made 135 bucks for our flight fund, like I said before..we use that money for plaques and such for the people that retire or move...we also are in the market for a new grill...so we want to do more fund raisers like this so we can get us a good grill...
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Congrats!

Now.... share the recipe! LOL

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
                    Originally posted by tedly
                    Yes!
                    X2
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward
                      Congrats!

Now.... share the recipe! LOL

Ron
                      oh man, it is too easy...makes a bunch and will run you less than 15 bucks..

2 pounds ground beef
                      1 pound ground pork
                      3 packets of McCormick's Chili seasoning
                      2 tablespoons of Cajun Seasonings
                      1/4 cup + a tablespoon of brown sugar
                      2 cans kidney beans, drained
                      2 cans pinto beans, drained
                      1 can of diced tomato's, drained
                      1 large can of tomato sauce
                      1 small can of tomato paste
                      1 onion - diced
                      2 cans or 4 fresh roasted green chili's
                      1 cup of Franks Red Hot Sauce

brown the beef and pork,

in a large pot
                      saute the onions, and beef and pork and 1 packet of the seasoning and green chili's...cook till done
                      add the rest of the ingredients and cook till warm

here is the sucky part....let it cool then refrigerate until the next day...fire it up in the pot untill it is hot and enjoy...

I worked at this recipie for a couple years tweaking and adding things...this is a very thick chilli, if you like it soupy then I suggest you add a bit of beer OR beef broth....also...if you try it...try adding the brown sugar a spoonfull at a time untill you get it to where there is a good balance between sweet and hot...

Comment

I like the thicker version..gonna try it.

I was just browsing around for the last places I checked to cook up my own chili...

but yours is looking better just by ingredient list.

I have a 4 pound bag of beef dethawing right now...

need to go get some ingredients.

the two pound version (don't laugh) I could eat in mostly one sitting... the beef I use is 85% or whatever.

I am not an occasional cook, been doing this on my own for 14 years and then some...getting bored. I think I may have invented stuff, especially beef related.

I have yet to follow a recipe. beef is my #1, gonna try new stuff... ;D
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

OK, sorry it took so long. Made the shrimp linguine tonight. I don't know exact measurements on this one, I just kinda do it by eye, so I thought I'd take pictures as I went along. They didn't turn out as well as I had hoped (the pictures, not the food) so I'll have to get a better camera for the next time. I'm going to walk through this under the assumption that you are a completely novice cook so hopefully I won't leave anything out. Each pan full makes 2 big servings and this recipe will make 4 servings total.
                          OK, Here's what you will need.

16 oz box of linguine, 1lb 41/50 uncooked shrimp or smaller (41/50 is the number of shrimp per pound), 9 oz bag of fresh spinach, 4 oz bag of walnut halves and pieces, cheap chardonnay (When cooking with wine, just use cheap stuff, you will honestly not taste a difference. I used Tisdale, $2.99 a bottle here), garlic (fresh or minced), Old Bay seasoning, coarse sea salt or Kosher salt, olive oil, a big ass frying pan (about 12 inch), and a garlic press if you use fresh garlic.

Oh yeah, I forgot the olive oil in the 1st picture. : Be sure to thaw the shrimp if you use frozen. Don't defrost it in the microwave, you'll f@#$ it up, and don't throw frozen meat of any kind into a frying pan if you can help it. It makes the meat tough.

First, cook the linguine. The package recomends 10-12 minutes, start checking it about 9 minutes in by biting a piece. You want it a little hard in the middle, not mush. Stir it every minute or so to keep it from clumping together. When it's done, immediately drain and rinse it under cold water until the pasta is cool to the touch, otherwise it will continue to cook even if it's not in the water. Pour a little oil on it (to keep it from sticking together), mix the oil in, and set it aside for now.

If your shrimp isn't peeled, now is the time to do it. It's easy and will only take a minute. If it's not de-veined have fun, its a nasty job. Wash your hands, then throw the spinach in a colander and rinse it with cool water for a minute or 2.

If you're using fresh garlic, peel 4 medium sized cloves. The easiest way to do this is to squeeze the clove between thumb and forefinger until the skin splits, then just peel it off.

Remember to squeeze top to bottom, not on the sides. Uncork or unscrew the wine. That should do it for the prep work.

Turn the stove to medium high and heat up the pan (heating the pan first keeps the meat from sticking to it), throw in about half the shrimp and dust them with the Old Bay.

When you see the shrimp start to turn whitish pink, flip them over and dust them with Old Bay again. Throw in a handfull of walnuts,

add about 2 teaspoons of salt (if you're like me, pour the salt in your palm and do 2 three-finger pinches, that's about 2 teaspoons), squish 2 garlic cloves (or add 2 teaspoons of minced garlic).
                          I accidentally went a little heavy on the garlic here, one of the cloves was HUGE. I just scooped out a little and moved on to the next step.
                          Throw in about 1/4 of the bottle of wine, give the olive oil about a 3 or 4 second pour (don't dump it in, just pour it like your pouring a beer in a glass). Stir it up and let it cook for a minute or 2.

Throw about half the cooked linguine on top of the mess, stir it up, and let it cook a minute or 2.

Throw about half of the spinach on top and mix it up.

It's done when the spinach starts to wilt. That means it should be just be starting to soften up but still be recognizable as a leaf, not a pile of mush. This only takes a minute or 2 so keep your eye on it. Throw it on a plate, use some tongs or a fork to put some of the shrimp on top (just to make it look good), sprinkle some parmesan cheese on it if you want, and serve it up.

It only takes about 10-15 minutes to cook in the pan so multiple servings are not a big deal. I'm going to try adding chopped onions and sprinkling some bacon pieces over the top next time. If you want wine to go with the meal, try Columbia Crest Two Vines Chardonnay, Eberle Chardonnay, or Jay Lohr Chardonnay.

Guys, women LOVE this stuff. If you want to impress a date or treat your wife, try this. It's easier than I make it sound.

One last thing, take the trash out as soon as you can. You don't want to smell those shrimp shells after they've sat out overnight. :-X

Hopefully this is clear enough for you. If you have any questions, just yell and I'll answer.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                            I won the cook off!

The best overall of 10 competitors...

There was no prize...just bragging rights

We made 135 bucks for our flight fund, like I said before..we use that money for plaques and such for the people that retire or move...we also are in the market for a new grill...so we want to do more fund raisers like this so we can get us a good grill...
                            Sweet! Congrats Joe!
                            I'm probably wrong

Comment

This is a great thread, keep it coming!!
                              Congrats Joe, chili sounds good, Great idea showing pics along with recipe Tedly. This is better that Julia.
                              200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
                              Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

Working...
                              X