Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying to find the '72 Cuda "Mopar Missile"

Originally posted by BigDad
    NHRA by then had decided to factor the Mopars and hang weight on them ( well known fact now)

Because they won too much .. Wally Parks said at one point looking back that was a mistake they did that .

Yeah they where also trying to head off the 427 SOHC and Boss 429s coming down the line. Time still would have caught up with them in the long run, once the Class started to catch on remember Pro Stock Started in 1970 so it was 2 years in and they where trying to get intrest and smaller motors when the light weight cars with small blocks like Grumps car hit The fat lady started singing for the Hemi
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

grumpy turned the class on it's ear with turbo heads and a vega
      damn thing was pretty competitive with the super deep breathing cleveland and a few weight breaks

Comment

So, at the risk of PO'ing someone here by bringing this back from the dead:

I finally get a tip from a buddy as to the whereabouts of the previous owner of the Motown Missile. After shooting him an email, he calls me back the next day. We talk for a while, and he promises to email me everything he has on the car.

Just before ending the call, I verify the spelling on his name, since it sounds so familiar--I might have tried to sell him a car recently or something. So, I ask if he's been to Donnelly's lately, and he answers "not since I worked at their Pontiac dealership" (where I work now). Sure enough, we chat about it, and he used to be a tech here back in the day.

Later, I started asking around the shop if anyone remembers him. First guy I talk to says "Yeah, I remember him--wasn't he the guy who talked about his old 'Missile' Cuda all the time?"

Small world--all that chasing around on the internet, and all I had to do was walk into the shop!

Comment

Small world.. ;D.Glad you brought us the latest news ;)

Comment

interesting info about this historic car. i have the small die cast of this Hot rod.

Comment

I think I read something about them running a 727 with a clutch in front of it and a gear spliter.

Comment

There is a forum following the restoration.. at moparts.org..
                Joe and Stewart are on there...

Yup it was in my backyard for 15 years. in Ottawa at Carling and Kirkwood area
                It had a sole owner, Mark for most of that time..
                I helped him to get Ebbie on board as an investor and now it is in Mississippi
                You can see it at:

I was Mark's wife for many years.. so did a lot of research etc for the car...
                Dick, the original builder is a good friend.
                He told me yesterday that Hot Rod magazine is doing an article on the restoration.

Comment

Linky to Moparts thread:

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

a clutch flite ? more like mid sixties ...sox used a ford top loader in his plymouth ...grumpy used a muncie , but they changed it every round ........after 73 it was all lenco

Comment

Here's an interesting shot of the car during some testing. Look at some of the stuff going on in this picture, remember, this was the early '70's so data gathering was not as simple as it is today.......
                      Attached Files
                      There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

I cannot find them, but there are photos of the "string car" at speed, which are cool as hell.
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

IIRC thats the wire car and its in California being restored.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X