Looking for suggestions on new boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for suggestions on new boots

Ok, so I'm in the market for new boots and I'm looking for suggestions on good quality, warm, waterproof boots. I currently have a pair of Red Wings that are simply falling apart, and leak like a sieve. I've been a big fan of Red Wings after I bought my first pair about 10 years ago. BEST boots I've ever had. Super comfortable, very warm, and very durable. They lasted about 8 years and were still in pretty good shape overall (yet very worn) when I threw them out and upgraded to a pair of steel toe Red Wings. Red Wings moved production overseas now, and the quality has SERIOUSLY dropped off. My new pair only lasted about 9 months before the sole split and started to fall off. I took them back since they had a 1 year warranty on them, and they replaced them with a new pair. The new pair only lasted about 4 months before the same thing happened - the sole split right at the toe and started to come off. Now they leak water bad, which sucks bigtime when it is cold and snowy out. It snows here in PA - I NEED a warm, dry boot.

So, anyway, here is what I'm looking for: A waterproof, lace-up style boot ("clodhopper" style), of excellent quality, durability, and comfort. I'd prefer leather (I like the feel and look), and USA manufacturing (but I won't buy garbage just because it is made in USA). I'd also prefer a steel toe, just for the safety aspect (I'm a clutz, I drop a lot of stuff on my feet). MUST be insulated. Price is not a big issue to me, I make good money and I'm willing to spend more for a good product that is going to last.

Any suggestions? Personal experience?
    Still plays with trucks....

Re: Looking for suggestions on new boots

Sorry to hear of the RedWing quality falling off - that's a damned shame - they were always the Snap-on of boots.

I've had good luck with the last couple Pair of Timberlands, they wear better and are warmer / dryer than the Wolverines I've had previously.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Danners.....best boot I EVER owned....I can kill Red Wings in 3-4 months.... my Danners are 4 years old....just got them resoled.

Danner boots are a mark of superior craftsmanship, Our hiking, hunting, work, military, and law enforcement boots are built with GORE-TEX waterproof liners, durable Vibram outsoles, and full-grain leather.

My brother works for AT&T ....spenda alot of time "hooking"/climbing poles....he swears by his Whites.

The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

I'd say these White's Snow Cats would fit the bill... http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php...oduct_id=29857
        The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
          I've had good luck with the last couple Pair of Timberlands, they wear better and are warmer / dryer than the Wolverines I've had previously.
          Yep, I love my Timberlands. I've had 2 pair in the last 6 or 7 years and the only reason I bought the 2nd pair was because they were on sale. Mine are more of a hiking type boot, but the quality still shows.
          Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

You are going to pay up front but Chippewa's are awesome. I've had mine for years and they are due to have new treads put on.

GREAT BOOTS!

Find the best in durable work boots for any terrain or job. Chippewa creates high-quality products from premium leather and employs essential safety features.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Carhart's
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Have you considered looking at over boots? I'd have to look up the make, I think it's like Hi-tec or something to that effect. But they work great for keeping mud and water outside your normal boot and up to roughly your knees, then you can pop right out of them when you go inside or climb into your vehicle. Because they are an outer layer, it turns your normal boots and your pants into the insulation, so your foot stays warm. They do make insulated ones though too if you need that extra bit. They run between $80-$120 a pair. A LOT of us around here used them until they banned any shoe that didn't have a defined heel :

Our geologist have replaced their over boots with big pak boots since.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman
                  Danners.....best boot I EVER owned....I can kill Red Wings in 3-4 months.... my Danners are 4 years old....just got them resoled.

Danner boots are a mark of superior craftsmanship, Our hiking, hunting, work, military, and law enforcement boots are built with GORE-TEX waterproof liners, durable Vibram outsoles, and full-grain leather.

My brother works for AT&T ....spenda alot of time "hooking"/climbing poles....he swears by his Whites.

I have a set of Danners that were issued to me in Alaska. I wore them for 4 winters on the flight line doing aircraft maintenance. This was about 1994 to 2001...I still have them, they still look like new. Being in the military I jhave had many, many different brands of boots....
                  Danners is the first one to jump out at me...the secod pair that come to mind is a pair of Iron Age boots I wore for about 4 years, they were lightweight, comfortable and wore very well...The went out of business but can still be found online becasue of overstocks and warehouse surplus
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I avoid the name game...
                    they get so costly becuiase it is easier than ever to make anice boot.

I got a heads up in the shoe fatcory I worked in the 1980s..

the hand made stuff, maybe 1300 pairs of shoes a day per line... it is so beyond that now, making it very cheap for good stuff, they went belly up.

I remember once going into a mardens store, that deals with loads taken out by fire or insurance or bankruptcy (the guy who runs that is maines governor today)

anyway, found some military numbered boots, very soft.. sure as heck not cheap...walked way with them for 20 something dollars and wore them for a year of tarmac everyday with a metal plate in my foot...I was lucky to get six monts out of the stuff they gave us. I could only guess 1000 miles a year, just work related on the bumpy silica..

I am sure gald not to be biased about that brand game now. 8)
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have always had good luck with Doc Marten's and Timberlands...

Comment

you can still get the made in USA red wings , just pick the boot that costs twice as much as the chinese ones next to them

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny
                          china dolls , the both of them , sad

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            Originally posted by bnjny
                            china dolls , the both of them , sad
                            Not sad for me. The boots are well made, priced appropriately and wear well.

Comment

I've had awesome luck with Doc Martins.

The page you are looking for either has been removed, moved to a new location, or never existed. Please make sure your web address is correct and try again.

I have 2 pair. One I bought about 10 years ago, the other pair I bought for firefighting duty in 1985. I still use both.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X