High Performance Old Wives Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Performance Old Wives Tales

Ok, so me and Chad were talking today and as ususal we started telling each other stories and BS'ing.

One of the stories came about about a kid I knew who swore up and down that crushing up moth balls and putting them in the gas tank was akin to supercharging the engine. Yeah, I know.

There's lots of these out there.

Share the best ones you've heard!
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: High Performance Old Wives Tales

my buddy put a squirt of his rc car "nitro" in his truck and said it would give it 2 seconds in the quarter :P
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

NO other single DIY performance enhancement can touch this for bang for the buck factor.

FLIP THE STOCK AIR CLEANER LID OVER!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

another guy told me "if ya tighten down the rockers intill it lopes its just like having a big cam"

one dude claimed to run everclear in his tank (a stock monte carlo) :P

Comment

Have had more than a few people tell me they put jet fuel in their car. Apparently they dont know its pretty much the same as kerosene.

Lots of guys with stock small blocks and 4 speeds saying they can pull the front tires on radials.

One of my favorites is ethanol will destroy your engine, it burns hotter, and a bunch of other nonsense. It seems not many people know much about ethanol, so they take whatever negative thing they hear/read and spout if as truth.

RC fuel is methanol and sometimes nitromethane, so the 40% nitro stuff might give you a bit more kick. You will still be running a bit lean on the methanol, and methanol likes to eat things like rubber and fuel systems. No 2 seconds though, not even close.

Comment

Every small block that is in a car show came out of a corvette and it usually has a 3/4 cam in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              Ok, so me and Chad were talking today and as ususal we started telling each other stories and BS'ing.

One of the stories came about about a kid I knew who swore up and down that crushing up moth balls and putting them in the gas tank was akin to supercharging the engine. Yeah, I know.
              One of the fuel system cleaners out there really IS moth balls dissolved in kerosene. STP, I think.

Here's one of the biggest myths: An open slip differential is one wheel drive. They're actually a 50-50 torque split.

Comment

yep!!!! every 350 or 327 came out of a corvette :D

Comment

Originally posted by ethelkilledfred
                  Every small block that is in a car show came out of a corvette and it usually has a 3/4 cam in it.
                  :D :D :D

And every oldsmobile is a "rocket motor." Beware the rocket roller 307.

I've also heard people say that stock BBC rectangle ports were too big for a street car. The only recorded incident of a guy crazy enough to run rectangle ports on the street involved a $20 bill on the dashboard that no one could grab due to the acceleration.
                  Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

EVERY Small Block Chevy is a 350. Bought a V-8 S-10 Blazer and the guy swore it had a 350, even after I told him the casting numbers (it was a a 283) he still thought it was a 350 and every project truck I have looked at has a 350 no matter what the casting number says.

Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Torqueflites do not need the 'kickdown' lever hooked up.
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by Lon_H
                        EVERY Small Block Chevy is a 350. Bought a V-8 S-10 Blazer and the guy swore it had a 350, even after I told him the casting numbers (it was a a 283) he still thought it was a 350 and every project truck I have looked at has a 350 no matter what the casting number says.

That or it's a 383 hipo motor. The last one I looked at was also a 283. He said "did I say 383 in the add, I meant 283".

Comment

Only to be superseded by the 'full race' cam
                          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I can't think of any, at all. I must be a rockhead.

claiming "seafoam" engine cleaner actually does something is rather silly...

better off soaking with starter fluid. :

or "EGR is a cylinder cooler"

I've got an idea for EGR... for the inventors. It is real friendly like.. uhhh.. suicide. >

"injection is quicker than carburators."

now when you exceed the speed of sound with your injector and ECU, let me know. That will be interesting. Original carbs put that speed in atomization of a real kind, in realtime non stop flow...jets went faster than the speed of sound to maximize efficiency.

"13 inch tires are safe for the highway"

their biggest baddest weight rating is tto small for a yugo.. and you think 75 american mph is ok with them?

"less exhaust restriction makes a bigger engine."

back in the carb days, mostly true, but even then, a dwell of left behind helps the next rotation. Injection needs it tighter and more open than ever simultaenous (why yes that is an oxymoron impossible)

"24.5 inch truck wheels are for a reason."

very true.. and it is science after all.

There is other stories.. it makes todays stuff disappointing however.

Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
                              :D :D :D

And every oldsmobile is a "rocket motor." Beware the rocket roller 307.

I've also heard people say that stock BBC rectangle ports were too big for a street car. The only recorded incident of a guy crazy enough to run rectangle ports on the street involved a $20 bill on the dashboard that no one could grab due to the acceleration.
                              Had my share of "it's an LS7 454" also. When the pan was removed it was a cast crank low comp truck motor. One even had rectangle port manifold on peanut plug heads-lol

Comment

Working...
                              X