I need another toy, but do I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need another toy, but do I?

There is snow on the ground, it's cold as hell, and every year at this time I get the "need for something new". I don't even have the last truck I bought back in Michigan. I have a couple clean starter vehicles sitting around that I could build. I ordered a 2011 Camaro SS convertible (for my wife) a couple weeks ago, but I am really feeling the need to buy something new for me.

Barrett Jackson is next week, and although I have "business" reasons to attend, I have not booked a flight yet. I think I am afraid of buying something over priced on a impulse.

I think maybe a drag radial LS power something would fill the need. I keep looking at drag cars, even though I own a pretty fast little truck that I use once a year. There is a new cylinder head available from GMPP for LS motors, and I keep thinking about ordering a set of them for my Canyon. The problem with them is by the time I buy all the supporting components, I will have $10K in them. They, along with a cam change, will add over 100 hp to my current engine package. That is a big improvement, but I am not sure they will fill my need.

I was at a friends collection last week, and he has a beautiful double black LS6 1970 El Camino. It is completely original, and perfect. I think maybe I want something like that, but I am not sure I would use it enough to enjoy it. I have always wanted a 1970 Boss 302, but it would be the same as the El Camino. I see so many classic cars that I would like to own. I am afraid BJ would drive me more crazy than I already am.

Does anyone else have these "needs" every winter? They are killing me because I just want so many different things. Usually once the weather warms up some it settles down, but it is sure hard to deal with now.

Re: I need another toy, but do I?

yes winter does that, you need to stay away from ebay, craiglise etc. you start seeing toys but not sure how you are going to fit them into your schedule.
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

My banker does a good job of talking me out of "auction fever." He's backed up strong by Mrs. Speedy.

The only time I get "the fever" much these days is when I see something that's really undervalued or I drive by a Ford dealer with a Shelby GT500 in stock. Okay, sometimes I get "the fever" close to time for the H.A.M.B. Nats and I realize that none of my pre-1964 junk could make a decent pass down the strip at Mo-Kan . . . .

And fixing a huge diesel leak in my pickup this week in single digit temps outside in a Wal-Mart parking lot really gave me "the fever" . . . or it could have been a real fever from exposure. :

And I've NEVER gotten "the fever" for ANYTHING with a LS V8.

Comment

Just..........give it TIME,Speedy. Give it time ;D :D. ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo
          yes winter does that, you need to stay away from ebay, craiglise etc. you start seeing toys but not sure how you are going to fit them into your schedule.
          Know what you mean by stay away, went to Summitracing.com last week to 'just' check pricing on a couple things. New intake, valve covers, power steering pump should be here any time. Already got the new pulleys. ;D

Comment

Mike, I say spend the cashola on the Canyon. The Elky sounds cool, but hauling 100hp more ass in the truck sounds a lot cooler to me.

I got lucky in the fact that I had some little stuff to keep me occupied and the dude in Texas I was trying to buy the vintage wrecker from was flaky and soured me on the sale.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The rest of the world has Obsessive Compulsive Disorder,

We have Obsessive CAR Disorder ;D
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

mike , you need an LSX with arias hemi heads and 2 4500s and a lenco

Comment

Yes, I have those winter needs. Looking at your list of current toys, and your casual "I just ordered a 2011 Camaro convertible" just proves that no amount of resources will ever cure it...
                  1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

haha....I just got another toy (money hole) last weekend! from Phoenix, yet!

That'll have to tide me over until I sell something.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm DONE buying Cars and their Parts,I have ALL I'LL ever possiably 'need'. Yes,'11 is the year of 'Change' for 'ole Stephine. The last 'Major' item I 'got'(didin't pay for it,was given to me...)was a 8.5 GM 10-Bolt out of a '74 Nova 4-Door about 3 weeks ago. I wanted it,because they're gettin' 'thin on the ground' and,well...a spare is alway's useful. The Drums were wasted(rusted & edges broken off...)so they went back to the Landlord. I have all sorts of re-build/Gasket Parts to freshen it,ect. But that's IT,NO MORE. ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                        I'm DONE buying Cars and their Parts,I have ALL I'LL ever possiably 'need'. Yes,'11 is the year of 'Change' for 'ole Stephine. The last 'Major' item I 'got'(didin't pay for it,was given to me...)was a 8.5 GM 10-Bolt out of a '74 Nova 4-Door about 3 weeks ago. I wanted it,because they're gettin' 'thin on the ground' and,well...a spare is alway's useful. The Drums were wasted(rusted & edges broken off...)so they went back to the Landlord. I have all sorts of re-build/Gasket Parts to freshen it,ect. But that's IT,NO MORE. ~J/W.
                        Yeah right. I'll believe that when my shite turns purple and smells of rainbow sherbet. You are talking to US here... not the support group.

I get it all the time, lately it has been 4x4 trucks because of the snow. Even though I have five 4x4s now, only one runs. Every day I get an idea for a new project, if I had money and a huge tract of land I would be building like crazy. Ordering all sorts of parts, putting them on, driving the snot out of what I build, then probably selling a few just to make room and to make someone else happy. Come on lotto.... big money.. oh wait, I gotta play it to win it.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                          But that's IT,NO MORE. ~J/W.
                          famous last words
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Last night I was reading about the new LSX race series, and my truck would fit perfect in the Real Street class. Might just rework the truck and run part of that series.

Air fare to Barrett Jackson is only $360, hummmmm.

Then of course, I did happen to look at the Harley web site...............................

This is going to kill me.

Comment

You need to run the Canyon with the N2O first.....

You already have the 71 chevelle.....so the elky seems duplicitous.......Hmmmm.

Mustangs are always cool......You are always telling me to build a fox body with an LS......Maybe that is want you need.

Seth
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                              X