Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Cabovers were king

I miss ol' Jerry Reed --easy to forget movie, "High Ballin"

Tagline: Truckin' is one thing, High-Ballin' is another, and the way they do it is something else!Jerry Reed voiceover: "Peter and I play a couple of dudes w...

Jake brake action

sigpic

Re: When Cabovers were king

"when cabovers were king"... must have been a clan that did not know what king is.

crazy trucks. keep them in the city...and then again, macks offset cab did better... of course with a v8 to boot.

part of my complexed disability started with an 81 international cabover.. it was almost ten years later in a casual conversation that bought it out.
    resonance, all my babbling words steel related...all of it started with stupid cabover.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Cabovers are kind of cool. Sure they're a pain in the ass to get into and you have to get dressed laying down. The only one I ever drove was an '88 International with a 350 Cummins, had it for about a month before I got the FLD 120 Freightliner.
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I still see a handful of cabovers running I-35. I keep seeing a couple that are spruced up with big stacks and streched frames. I need to take a camera through the truckstop every now and again because we get some nice big rigs that run through iowa.
        Jeff
        Follow My Build

Comment

plenty of classic cab overs down in port of newark and port of elizabeth , hauling shipping containers

Comment

Comment

One of the fastest drag racing rigs I have seen was a twin-screw Pete with a turbocharged Detroit.

Watching all eight tires smoke was bad ass.
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I still see a lot of them around .Pretty cool to see reminds me of BJ and the Bear.

Comment

D.O.T. easing up on the "length law" spelled the demise of the oldtip'em overs....

Have been up in quite a few(learned to drive/got my license in an '89 IH). Can't beat them for forward visibility and (in most cases) ability to get in tight spots.

Yep, no fun gettin' dressed laying down in the bunk(unless you have one of the last IH cabovers w/the flat floor...can do jumping jacks in them sideways and not hit anything).

Only cabovers I have no love for are the old Dodges and the crackerbox GMC's....well, add the old Astro/Titan n there and it pretty well covers it.

Comment

Only Truck I ever drove where you sat on the white line to stay in your lane, only a cab over driver knows what I am talking about ???

Comment

Jan M. Vincent in "White Line Fever" was a good cab-over movie.

I liked the Western Star wrecker in "High Ballin'" too. The Ranchero that went over the cliff looked like the one Ak Miller/Hot Rod raced in Baja.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

And in my opinion, 2strokers always sounded better on the Jake ;D

Here is that 1975 Peterbilt i rode in with the 6" straight pipes. Sounds so good! I want one in our freightliner now!

Comment

Jake brake !!

Argosy 101 with C16 Cat 600hp, gearing down with loud jake brake. In South Africa!!!

sigpic

Comment

I bet that guy saves alot on brake jobs.

This 74 Diamond Reo wrecker that my Dad had, with an 8V71 Detriot, would make woman and children run for cover when the Jake was touched off lol. He once flat towed a 100 ton truck crane that broke down, had the companies' mechanic ride in the crane to use it's brakes to help stop. The mechanic asked my Dad how he'd know when it was time to start riding the brakes in the crane, Dad said "the noise from those chrome stacks will tell you when to start". The guy said his ears rang for days after that ride.

Comment

I drove an old International (haybinder we called it) cabover
                              back in the early '70's.........I spotted trailers with it.

It was a true cabover with no sleeper.

It was cool.
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Working...
                              X