Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scientists warn California

interesting stuff...

a native of any area, or sharp minded short timer can decipher what is going to happen.

me and maine, I use an old subaru as my weather man. (true story, it has not been wrong yet)

I remember 1987 here, as if water tables changed without rain..then it rained like hell. when cali gets that, count on a big storm... it is as rare as the scientists stated.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I remember the flood of 1987. The week that the Kenduskeag Stream came to us, ha ha.

I'm renting my spare room to a kid that goes to Husson college. He's got an AWD Legacy wagon and it seems to get around okay. The lack of ground clearance is usually what bungs him up.

When it comes to Maine winters, I'm still more of a truck guy. You can't beat having ground clearance on your side, especially when you have to get to work early and a lot of stuff isn't plowed.

Comment

LMAO! And this is what separates a blog from news. Weather model's are almost completely made up of bull$ht, 30% hard facts, 70% assumptions.

Reading the report, they are basing their numbers on a statistical 500 year storm. No where builds to a 500 year storm. Most CA is built to 75 year storm and the low lands and areas suseptable to flooding are built to the 200 year storm statistic. They are comparing the infrastructure of 1861 to the infrastructure of today, LMAO. Of course roads in 1861 couldn't be passed when it rains : They were all made of mud and no designed drainage. This is Ph.D's doing what they do best, create a scare that will lead to more funding, so they keep getting paid. I've lived in CA all my life, educated there, taken a few weather and climate classes even, and have never heard of this 1861 rain event. Not to mention weather record keeping wasn't exactly stellar then, particularly in the old west.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

does chuck norris still live in Ca? he could stop a sissy ass super storm
          Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            LMAO! And this is what separates a blog from news. Weather model's are almost completely made up of bull$ht, 30% hard facts, 70% assumptions.

Reading the report, they are basing their numbers on a statistical 500 year storm. No where builds to a 500 year storm. Most CA is built to 75 year storm and the low lands and areas suseptable to flooding are built to the 200 year storm statistic. They are comparing the infrastructure of 1861 to the infrastructure of today, LMAO. Of course roads in 1861 couldn't be passed when it rains : They were all made of mud and no designed drainage. This is Ph.D's doing what they do best, create a scare that will lead to more funding, so they keep getting paid. I've lived in CA all my life, educated there, taken a few weather and climate classes even, and have never heard of this 1861 rain event. Not to mention weather record keeping wasn't exactly stellar then, particularly in the old west.
            I'd make a good weather man.........my weather model
            every day would be a 50% chance of rain.

Either it is or it isn't
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Tool "Aenema"
              One great big festering neon distraction,
              I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.
              Learn to swim..
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

To further refine this because things like this are a thorn in my side.

The report states 10 feet of water in 40 days. That's 120 inches of water in 40 days or roughly 90 inches of water in a month.

The rainest place on Earth gets 463 inches of rain a year, or about 39 inches a month. So less than half.

The most rain an entire hurricane season (about 180 days) drops on a location that repeatedly gets hit (open ocean typically) is 32 inches of rain, or about a third of what they are saying in CA falls in 30 days (not to mention 40 :)
                (http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hu...010vs2005.html)

Now to further break down the math. 120 inches of rain over 40 days is only 3 inches of rain per day. 3 inches of rain in a day isn't unheard of, heck it's barely notable for a storm. But to assume a solid 40 days, or heck 4 days at that rate for California is pretty absurd for it's location. Even the most heavily rained on area in CA (near the Oregon border) gets an average for the year of only 100 inches.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've always thought that California was more prone to break off and fall into the ocean due to an earthquake.

Is an earthquake "weather?" I've always been skeptical about that, but it sure relates, somewhere in the glossary.

California aside, I 've always thought that Tampa Bay is the most disaster-prone area, until we saw New Orleans.
                  There's not a whole lot of ways out of Tampa Bay on the highway. At sea level, they dredged the ocean to build more sand for condos to sit on....Here comes a Cat 4 or 5 storm... Hopefully never. But in a 100 years, yeah. Someday, there's no avoiding the chances.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Just wait, for the combo earthquake/storm event!... the big one is comin' in 2012 to the SF bay and its gonna break the diablo mountain range, causin' the sacramento river and the san joaquin rivers to be unable to dump into sf bay.... and then that there SUPERSTORM comes in rains for ..oh... at least... 90 days straight....and that causes the entire california central valley to flood permanently without hope of draining. This forms a currentless highly polluted, inland sea stretching 400 miles from Redding Ca to Bakersfield Ca.......

i need my own website........ ;D
                    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

if this happens, who will pick the lettuce
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

actually..... the outrushing of people forced to buy new property outside of the flood area, causes California real estate values to skyrocket 4,000% ... You thought California had allot of beach front properties before...well now.....this causes the entire US housing market to rebound and cures the global drecession!
                        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by fine59
                          does chuck norris still live in Ca? he could stop a sissy ass super storm
                          Chuck Norris hooks jumper cables to his nipples to crank a dead car over.

Only Chuck Norris can use FiftyCent as real currency.

Chuck Norris was tried in Court for charges of Attempted Murder. It was dismissed. Chuck Norris does not attempt Murder. He does it.
                          ;D
                          Mel's phone has a Chuck Norris ap. Funny stuff.
                          Andrew
                          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Getting out of bed is potentially deadly. I bet most of the folks that get killed everyday probably got out of bed. Don't get out of bed and lower your mortality.

Where's the study on that?

Comment

I suppose the most humorous part of that entire article is they make such a great argument for a flood of Biblical proportions ... oh wait, 40 days rain, covered the earth...

otherwise, the article gives a "meh" response

the only flood californians have to fear is the one of debt for the social programs they with which they so nicely burdened themselves.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X