• Show
Clear All

• The I.R.S is looking into NHRA's Non-Profit Status

Yikes!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    January 20, 2011

CONTACTS: Heather Maurer: (202) 862-7857
    Ufuoma Otu: (202) 449-9804

Washington, D.C. ? The IRS has recently received an anonymous complaint, challenging the tax-exempt status of the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA). The complaint contends that the drag racing organization?s activities mimic those organized by for-profit automobile entertainment companies.

?Public information reveals that the NHRA operates like a commercial business by providing specific services to its members ? whether in the form of prize money to winners or payments to race track operators or other private groups benefiting from the racing events,? said Marcus S. Owens, former director of the exempt organizations division at the IRS and now a senior member in the Washington law firm Caplin & Drysdale.

Owens, who wrote the complaint on behalf of his client that wishes to remain anonymous, also noted that a large portion of NHRA?s revenue, totaling approximately $122 million in 2008, is derived through cash received at drag racing events, activities normally organized by for-profit entities such as NASCAR or the International Hot Rod Association (IHRA).

The letter further identifies other issues, including questionable governance structures and compensation practices. Though the Association boasts an 80,000 member roster, members do not possess voting rights to elect an independent Board of Directors to approve compensation and other matters pertaining to its Officers and Directors.

At present, compensation is determined by a ?personnel committee?, who are likely to be selected and paid by NHRA officials. Based on NHRA?s 2008 tax filings, two of the Association?s executives received compensation well beyond industry standards. Thomas Compton, the Association?s President and Board Member, received $771,632 in total compensation. Dallas Gardner, Chairman of the NHRA Board, received $319,073 for one single hour of work per week. Comparable data indicates that average total compensation paid to CEOs at the ten largest trade associations in the United States was $642,447 in 2006 for full-time positions*.

* See ASAE, Association Compensation & Benefits Study (2006) at 27, T.20. Each of these organizations had more than 100 employees.

About Caplin & Drysdale
    Caplin & Drysdale provides a full range of tax and legal services to companies, organizations, and individuals throughout the United States and around the world. The firm also provides exempt organization counseling, political activity law counseling, complex litigation services, employee benefits counseling, private client services, corporate law counseling, and white collar defense. For more information, visit www.caplindrysdale.com.

Time Wasters...
    http://public.fotki.com/JoeGrippo/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_grippo/sets/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeGrippo?feature=mhum

Re: The I.R.S is looking into NHRA's Non-Profit Status

the greenies are coming..

Comment

Yeah, because the greedies are already there...
      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Better have your fun NOW,Boy's......'Big-Brother & the Grennies' are going to put it in the little Guy'z ass...again. "No more 'Hobby' for YOU Mr. Blue Collar/workin' stiff.........' "Big-Brother & The Grennies"...sounds like a good name for a Band ;D! ~J/W.

Comment

too historic for the greenie argument.. probably how it is not for profit already, or one of the arguments to be that way.

mob stuff in the news today.. now this.

Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Maybe they could turn the N.H.R.A. ops over to S.C.C.A. That'd take care of any pesky profits.

Or maybe its time for the "Faith of Drag Racing . . . ." (I hope that joke doesn't violate forum rules :o)

Thomas Compton, the Association's President and Board Member, received $771,632 in total compensation. Dallas Gardner, Chairman of the NHRA Board, received $319,073 for one single hour of work per week.
            Where do I SIGN UP? I can make just as many dumb rules and myopic decisions as they can. My first official act: New tax lawyers . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Grippo
              Thomas Compton, the Association?s President and Board Member, received $771,632 in total compensation. Dallas Gardner, Chairman of the NHRA Board, received $319,073 for one single hour of work per week.
              Hey, I hear Bell is looking for a new city manager... ;)

Comment

Probably Bruton Smith turned them in so He can get a hell of a deal on it when they run like blind mice. LOL

Comment

You know,in the back of my mind I was thinking the same thing-who would benefit if they had to "fire sale" the organization? Who would have the money to buy? Who was the last to try to buy out?Hmmm something to think about. Of course he does have 2 races at his cathedral. Food for thought.

Comment

Couldn't happen to a nicer organization.

Comment

Wow...

Compton and Gardner were listed...

I wanna see what Graham Light rakes in from this "not for profit" organization.

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbya312
                        You know,in the back of my mind I was thinking the same thing-who would benefit if they had to "fire sale" the organization? Who would have the money to buy? Who was the last to try to buy out?Hmmm something to think about. Of course he does have 2 races at his cathedral. Food for thought.
                        Bobby, I look at it 180 degrees the opposite. You don't think a guy like Bruton wouldn't KILL to have a "properly valued" non-profit organization to use as some sort of tax shelter for piles of money? Him doing this to then buy what will be a fully taxable corporation seems kind of weird to me. He'd want the free lunch!!

Perhaps one of the things that soured him on the original deal was the fact that the tax exempt status could be challenged and then it would be just another company, taxes and all.
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

So with all the hoopla in the NHRA over the past few seasons, could this be the beginning of the end of the reign?
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                            So with all the hoopla in the NHRA over the past few seasons, could this be the beginning of the end of the reign?
                            I have my fingers crossed.
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Maybe they'll rethink the new oildown policy to make less money. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X