Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

    Had an all night birthday party last night (for the 8 year old) Just got the last of the extra boys gone, cleaned up, and went out to snap some hopefully better pictures of the structure that we're dealing with.











    Its a long way up to the roof.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

      alot of daylight there

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

        Its a sunny day here in central Ohio. :D

        Those gaps aren't QUITE as bad as they seem. Almost, but not quite. It stays dry inside, but somewhat drafty. Alright, darn drafty.

        My logic goes like this. Do the ceiling, then do the garage doors, then do the siding.

        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

          Originally posted by STINEY
          Its a sunny day here in central Ohio. :D

          Those gaps aren't QUITE as bad as they seem. Almost, but not quite. It stays dry inside, but somewhat drafty. Alright, darn drafty.

          My logic goes like this. Do the ceiling, then do the garage doors, then do the siding.

          why siding..
          wouldn't spray foam on the inside be cheaper..
          and you can kill 2 birds one stone

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

            Spray foam= NOT cheap. I got a bid on my shop and it was about the same as the concrete.

            Dan

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

              Originally posted by DanStokes
              Spray foam= NOT cheap. I got a bid on my shop and it was about the same as the concrete.

              Dan
              insulation +siding= $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
              foam spray costly.. but cheaper than having to do both(siding and insulation)

              and spray foam is coming down as home building slowed.. and they need work

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                I'm afraid the gaps are a little too big for spray foam. It would look kinda a lot lumpy-n-bumpy on the outside afterwards, and I'd need to paint it anyways. With framing in the front & rear for 10x10 doors, it will need some siding in those places anyways, and I'm saving paint money to put towards siding to offset some.

                But back to the ceiling, do these pictures help with the visuals any?

                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                  hmmm.. I take back the spray foam - I like the shed within the barn idea? 2x4 frame a workspace, drywall the inside, nail insulation to the outside.... consider the space outside the inner shop "storage" or "summer workspace". bonus would be that the workspace could double as a paint booth.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                    When you side the building investigate 1/2 or 3/8 foam board and house wrap. It will cut a lot of the draft. Commercial spray foam will close in a gap of up to 6 inches but any exposed to UV it will deteriorate quickly. You might want to consider a spray foam kit http://www.sprayfoamdirect.com/ is the supplier I use. They are about $650 per kit so use sparingly. It would be useful as a final step filling all the gaps and blind leaks. A word of warning this stuff is addictive. It is really fun to spray and pretty soon... all gone. On the over head framing 2 by 6 minimum for anything over 12 foot and that is for ceiling only no foot traffic ever. Are 2 by 8s that much more?

                    Steve

                    BTW your sand dunes are taking me back to Idaho. I really do miss that stuff.
                    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                      Thanks for the link, Steve. This might make it affordable to do the shop roof. Can you shoot it over vinyl roll insulation (the whole shop is lined with fiberglass insulation with a vinyl skin).

                      Dan

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                        Stiney, just a suggestion to think about before ordering your doors - you might want to upside to 12x12 doors instead of 10x10. I say this from experience because I put one 10x10 and one 12x12 door in my shop. The 10x10 is kinda tight for getting big object through - i.e. backing the trailer in or backing the dump truck through. I know you tend to use your machinery for moving things in and out of the shop, and the 2 feet extra clearance on sides and top might be the difference between getting the non-running junk pickup in unscathed and smashing the garage door track with the bucket of the front loader. My 12x12 door has prooved to be SOOOOO much more useful.

                        Fwiw, I am also trying to figure out how to insulate my pole building for heat. My setup is much easier, since it is straight and my trusses are only 4' apart, but I'm figuring on using the foam board insulation on the ceiling and putting the fiberglass insulation on top of that. I'll go halfway down on the walls with the foamboard, then put OSB on the bottom of the walls for the durability and the ability to hammer nails in anywhere I want for hanging cords, etc.
                        Still plays with trucks....

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                          Originally posted by ford141
                          Stiney, just a suggestion to think about before ordering your doors - you might want to upside to 12x12 doors instead of 10x10. I say this from experience because I put one 10x10 and one 12x12 door in my shop. The 10x10 is kinda tight for getting big object through - i.e. backing the trailer in or backing the dump truck through. I know you tend to use your machinery for moving things in and out of the shop, and the 2 feet extra clearance on sides and top might be the difference between getting the non-running junk pickup in unscathed and smashing the garage door track with the bucket of the front loader. My 12x12 door has prooved to be SOOOOO much more useful.

                          Fwiw, I am also trying to figure out how to insulate my pole building for heat. My setup is much easier, since it is straight and my trusses are only 4' apart, but I'm figuring on using the foam board insulation on the ceiling and putting the fiberglass insulation on top of that. I'll go halfway down on the walls with the foamboard, then put OSB on the bottom of the walls for the durability and the ability to hammer nails in anywhere I want for hanging cords, etc.
                          Thanks for the input....I'll get a quote for both 10x10 & 12x12 and see. If its not too bad I'll probably upgrade. God forbid I ever have to move again, but a larger door would also appeal more to a potential buyer with an RV.

                          By the way, use long drywall screws in your OSB walls - they go in easier than nails, and come back out easier too, for when you change your mind and move things again. Seem to be stronger/hold better too, as they don't fracture out the OSB on the backside like a nail will. Painted OSB is a strong contender for my walls/ceiling, have done it before and was happy with it.

                          Thanks for the headsup on the UV effects on the foam Steve. Didn't consider that, excellent point! I've always wanted to make a trip to the Idaho sand dunes, the one hill there named Potato-something-or-other looks VERY tempting....

                          ;D
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                            all this talk about sand is now making me think about another trip to Sand Lake in Oregon....

                            x2 on the 12x12.... I didn't pay the extra 100 bucks or so for engineering a 12x12 door on the main entrance side of my shop.... I should have, 10x10 is tight (you'd not think so, but I've found it is.)
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                              I have 10X10s and that's all that would fit with the 12' sidewalls and the building steel. The way the structure works over the door frames a 12X12 won't quite fit. Usually the 10X10s are OK but I agree that there are times that the tall doors would be nice.

                              Dan

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Time to work on the shop, inspired by Milner351 Gathering info for ceiling idea

                                Yea the 4wd club use to take a trip down to St Anthony every spring. Most of the guys ran their race trucks with paddles. Completely cleaned the entire underside of the truck! No mud, no dirt, no paint ,no nothing left.

                                for those curious
                                http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_st_anthony.htm

                                Dan the foam sticks to anything. I am not sure I would recommend it on a horizontal surface with out some thing to lock into ie chicken wire, stud cavity or slat boards. I would worry about it pulling the vinyl off the insulation.

                                Steve
                                Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X