Would you do it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you do it?

My grandfather has a 1963 Studebaker Lark 2 door that is all original (Beige w/ blue vinyl interior). By all original I mean that it still has the original tires from 1963, and the only thing that has been changed is the fuel pump and plugs. The original owner bought the car and drove it for 2 months before getting hit by a car and was no longer able to drive a stick. He then parked the car in his garage (in 1963) and it sat there until 2002 when my grandfather purchased it from the original owners widow. He currently drives it about 6 times a year, but really wants to use the garage space it takes up for his pickup and is thinking of selling it.
    The car is perfect as it sits with the exception of a paint chip on the trunk lid with a straight six/three on the tree powertrain that runs beautiful.

Oh, did I mention the car only has 1500 miles?

Now to the Question.

Would/Could you bring yourself to Hot Rod such a survivor? I know myself and I NEED a V8. Would/Could you take a car this pristine and put in a V8 and pound on it mercilessly as I intend to do if I buy it?

Is it wrong to do this to a survivor?
    200 mph or bust.......

Re: Would you do it?

i'd rather be the asshole who destroys a survivor than some other idiot.

especially a stude or a mopar...really piss some folks off..

but, i'd keep the inliner until it popped. maybe put a 4 speed tranny & cut the floor...

Comment

That would be a tough choice for me, too. I gotta have a V8. However, since the only car I remember my grandparents driving way back when was a Lark, I'd leave that one alone, I think. ;D

Comment

Hot Rod it, I'm thinking a 289 topped with a Paxton and backed by a 6 speed. The world only needs one that is kept original, and I'm sure someone has already got that covered. ;D

Nik

Comment

I couldn't do it.

Comment

I would leave it all stock except swap motor/trans /rear end and keep the stock stuff in case I ever wanted to put it back.

Comment

I think I would try to drive it stock and hook up with some Stude purist that has a butchered 57 (chopped top) with 53 front end and an old motor with sparkplug wires in the valve covers. :D I think we all deserve to butcher at least one classic car and I've done 2 by some peoples account. Don't regret doing them but I would hope I could resist doing it again.

Comment

I'm thinkin if you V8 the car & put in a fore speed......keep
                all the original stuff.....keep interior stock looking with
                exception of aftermarket gauges
                My Nova's number matching motor and tranny are stored away
                maybe for someday when it will return to stock

Now we need to some pics............

Comment

I couldn't do it, either.

...but I would happily buy it, then find a true studebaker fan who needed it and use the money to buy something I really wanted. Something I wouldn't feel bad about rodding.

My Chevelle was originally a 307 powerglide Malibu that had already been changed to a 350/th400 "toy"... so I didn't feel bad at all about making it my toy.

It's only all original once.

Comment

Since I have owned my Camaro for 40 years and 21 days I would say go ahead and change the drive train but keep everything else stock.

Comment

go for it, the cars been original since 63, time for a change, keep all the original stuff you take off and if the guilt feelings overwhelm you to much you can change it back, or you can join the stude club and get a lawn chair,i bet their a very exciting bunch ;D
                      Never kick a fresh Turd on a hot day.....Harry S Truman

Comment

Some things are better left untouched, my opinion only, I think it is great that some individuals are anal about originallity and I respect their choices because it preserves a bit of history. On the other hand I can get really excited about a "improved classic" of any make. You make your own choices, but like stated earlier - find someone who will appreciate the car for what it is and take the money to build a hot rod if you desire. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by fine59
                          go for it, the cars been original since 63, time for a change, keep all the original stuff you take off and if the guilt feelings overwhelm you to much you can change it back, or you can join the stude club and get a lawn chair,i bet their a very exciting bunch ;D
                          +1, thats funny!!

Comment

You say it has 1500 miles on it? Thats not 15,000? Man, That's a tough one for sure. I don't think I could do it.

I would detail the hell out of it, really shine it up nice, drive it for a while. You might like the car as it is. I like my V-8 cars too, but some times it's nice to cruise around something different. Then, if it still bothers you that much, make the decision, sell it to a collector, or modify it.

The only thing I will say, if you do modify it, the workmanship and choice of hardware should be first rate, as a 1500 mile car deserves that at least.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu
                              I couldn't do it, either.

...but I would happily buy it, then find a true studebaker fan who needed it and use the money to buy something I really wanted. Something I wouldn't feel bad about rodding.

It's only all original once.
                              I've never really cared about or even had second thoughts about cutting something up but a ride like that I couldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X