Making Beef Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Beef Jerky

Started yesterday afternoon, mixed up all the parts from a recipe off of the web and made the marinade. Got the London Broil and cut it into thin slices with the million-dollar Weeville ceramic chef knife, never did figure out which way the grain of the meat was, so I cut it every kind of direction. Soaked it overnight amd baked it in the oven, every slice hanging on a toothpick from the top oven rack, for 3:20 at 170. The recipe said 6-8 hours at 160 but our oven won't go that slow. 170 is the minimum.

Man, this stuff is good!

Who's the beef jerky expert here? It's the first time I've ever tried it, and it came out great. Would love to hear some inside tips from others. No doubt, when we get through munching on this batch during the football games tomorrow, we'll make this again.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Making Beef Jerky

I been making it in a dehydrator forever but the oven is suppose to be the best way, I just dont know how, i know they leave the door cracked
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Originally posted by kyhunter89
      I been making it in a dehydrator forever but the oven is suppose to be the best way, I just dont know how, i know they leave the door cracked
      My blues brother in SC turned me onto the idea of making jerky during a phone conversation Thursday. He makes it in a dehydrator, but we don't have one. And he seals it in a vacuum machine, which we don't have, either. What brought it up was, he was making a batch to send to a relative serving in the military in Afghanistan. As far as what are you doing today?.. that's a topic beacuse it sure does take a lot of procedural steps.

Anyhow hunter, here's the only deal to go with making it in an oven. And it was my first try ever, and it came out great.

Of course you do all the mixing and cutting and soaking ahead of time. Here's the deal with the oven. Crack the oven door open to let the moisture out.

The first "catch" on the oven door leaves it too wide open, so I used a nutcracker to hold it nearly shut. I positioned the nutcracker where it would also mash in the switch for the oven light, so the oven light wouldn't stay on for hours while the stuff was cooking.

In the oven, put the slices on toothpicks as so:

Put the jerky slices on the top rack, remove the middle rack, and cover the bottom rack with tin foil to catch the drips. Did it, the oven looked like it never even happened. And again, our oven won't do 160 (called for in the recipe), 170 is the minimun. So that may have a bearing on whether you want to use your oven or not. Ours is a digital thing, you punch in the temperature you want, and when I said 160, it said hell no. How about 170?

peedub

Comment

My favorite way to make jerky:
        Drive south from Ann Arbor, MI.
        Take the exit for Dundee - there will be a big old Cabella's at the intersection
        Drive toward town a short way.
        Turn into the jerky place (can't remember the name but it's there) and buy whatever you want.
        YUMMMMM

Second method:
        Drive from Clinton, OK toward Elk City
        Take the exit in the middle of absolute nowhere - look for the signs for Jeg's Smokehouse (as far as I know, no relation)
        Hit Jegs on jerky day (they don't always have it)
        Be prepared for a jerkygasm (no comments from the Peanut Gallery)

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          My favorite way to make jerky:
          Drive south from Ann Arbor, MI.
          Take the exit for Dundee - there will be a big old Cabella's at the intersection
          Drive toward town a short way.
          Turn into the jerky place (can't remember the name but it's there) and buy whatever you want.
          YUMMMMM

Second method:
          Drive from Clinton, OK toward Elk City
          Take the exit in the middle of absolute nowhere - look for the signs for Jeg's Smokehouse (as far as I know, no relation)
          Hit Jegs on jerky day (they don't always have it)
          Be prepared for a jerkygasm (no comments from the Peanut Gallery)

Dan
          Dan, that takes the fun out of it.

No, wait, what are those directions again? Yeah, that adds fun INTO it!

peedub

Comment

You should get the RonCo. beef jerky Jerkier Machine. ;D
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              Photos?

Comment

I use a smokehouse and a slicer. I don't like it dehydrated. Hanging and sliced is the only way to go. The smokehouse uses propane and woodchips/sawdust, and is usually around 140 degrees for a few hours. As the jerky dries out, the temperature goes up. I use venison though, never tried beef.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
                  Photos?
                  For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by truckpuller
                    Photos?
                    For all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than to Google it for themselves.
                    Here ya go, Peewee. A whole infomercial. Enjoy. I think it ranks up there with his "In the egg, egg beater" and "Record cleaner". Yes, I'm old enough to remember those.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Photos?
                      Here ya go, Peewee. A whole infomercial. Enjoy. I think it ranks up there with his "In the egg, egg beater" and "Record cleaner". Yes, I'm old enough to remember those.
                      and he also gave his allowance as a kid to K-TEL records ;D
                      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                        Photos?
                        and he also gave his allowance as a kid to K-TEL records ;D
                        That macro-thing is really cool. It typed everything in for me, and the pointer mysteriously moved and made the all the correct clicks. Can I get a program like that and take it to work with me? I need that.

And do I need a dehydrator if I already have an oven? I've only made jerky just this once, so I'm in a whole new world here. I'm enthralled several ways.

Comment

Working...
                        X