My remodeling fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My remodeling fun

Since I don't have an automotive project right now (aside from trying to keep the rustbucket on the road), I figured I'd put up some pics of the project I've been working on for the past 2 years. My mom bought a foreclosure house that had been vacant for years. It had been remodeled a couple of times, and by the looks of things there wasn't a lot of sober thought put into the work done. Still, it had a solid foundation, good roof, solid frame, large garage, an acre of land, and it was dirt cheap. After evicting the mice and various other critters squatting in the house my brother and I got to work, with occasional help from my Dad (he and Mom are divorced and he lives 3 hours away). We ended up gutting the entire house down to the outside wall frames, including the old furnace, all the wiring, and most of the plumbing. The only drywall left standing - including cielings - was in the living room and stairwell. Those will be done when we get more money. The only work not done by us was the installation of the new furnace and hooking up the new wiring -we ran the wires and had an electrician hook it up.
    Kitchen first:

We reused the cabinets temporarily to save money.

Originally you had to go through the only upstairs bathroom to get into the master bedroom. Who the hell thought this was a good idea? We ended up moving the door to the master bedroom to the living room, moving the kitchen wall in, adding kitchen closets and a recess for the fridge, and putting 2 bathrooms in.

The new closet space covered the area the old back door was, so we put in a sliding door a little further down.

The bathroom floor needed to be replaced and some of the floor joists stiffened and leveled.

The master bedroom closet was shifted to the left and an entrance to the master bath was added.

The front closet was taken entirely out and the entrance to the main upstairs bathroom put in.

I'm probably wrong

Re: My remodeling fun

man, I've done a lot of remodels like that - yours looks nice.... now just don't rent it to someone who leaves their dogs in the house for 2 solid weeks.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Looks like you've got a good plan.

I enjoy building projects.......have built 3 houses
      and many remodel projects.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Looks killer .... I love doing remodels, seeing it go from what it was to the finished product. Just like with cars, the journey is the fun part.
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
          Looks killer .... I love doing remodels, seeing it go from what it was to the finished product. Just like with cars, the journey is the fun part.
          Yep.......ditto
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I like it. and know just enough to get me in trouble
            jack of all trades,master of none ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
              I like it. and know just enough to get me in trouble
              jack of all trades,master of none ;)
              <raises hand> Same here. :D I like the challenge of getting in over my head and figuring it out as I go along, though. It keeps life interesting. ;D
              Originally posted by Buickguy
              man, I've done a lot of remodels like that - yours looks nice.... now just don't rent it to someone who leaves their dogs in the house for 2 solid weeks.
              Not renting out this one. Mom is 71 years old, this whole deal was to get her a house of her own that will serve her for the rest of her life. I've been scheming on how to get ahold of some others and fix them up for rental properties then flip them when the market gets better.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

I've done several. As I got older I sub'd more than when I was young and dumb. I have the secret for drywall now - I use a telephone. Not I do the bits I like and hire the rest.

Dan

Comment

I actually like the drywall and painting part. I hung at least 1/3 of the drywall by myself and about 3/4 of it total. At least 3/4 of the mudwork and sanding was done by me and all of the painting and ceiling coating was done by me. The walls are as smooth and straight as I could get them and only 1 small section of a seam is visible (about a foot, I bought different materials than my Dad was used to, first seam was a learning curve for him). I liked the work and seeing the finished product is awesome. I'm planning out a shop, greenhouse, and addition to the house, as well as landscaping. Gives me a reason to stretch the gray matter a bit.

Did you guys flip the houses or rent them out?
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

I used to do that stuff..helped build one, remodeled more than I care to.
                    learned enough local to decipher that there is 100 years of gov't missing.

one historian stepped up with a 1790 built house...

must have been someone very important, to not only get overlooked as 100 years newer. but to stand its ground the way it did.
                    an inspiration to build with pride.

on the other hand there is those that look strong, but obvious built fast (goal no doubt was 1 summer way back when milling was not electric), half studs and other oddities, obvious rough cut just to fit pieces...

still sold for 180k.. :

my brother is still building, the rich and famous of maine, southern coast...

speaks of 150 foot runs, 8500 square feet, just another day...

Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I've just done houses I would live in. Took a small 4 bedroom and made it a big two bedroom (incorporated the 2 small BR's into the living room and made two time BRs one fair sized one) then a replacement BR in the basement. All in all, it worked out pretty well. To the best of my knowledge the Ex still owns it. Went up a floor on ME and my house in Ann Arbor - that was a GREAT improvement. We sold it when we moved here. Stuff like that. I'm too lazy to buy 'em and flip 'em.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X