Built a new welding cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built a new welding cart

Have you ever started something and then realized it got outta hand and that you just have to STOP or it'll never get done? I guess that's a stupid question since we're all car nuts with too many projects... Anyway, that happened with the new cart I built for my welder. I picked up a used tig recently to accommodate a friend who is going to help me build headers for the new engine going into my Mustang.

It came on the factory wooden blocks.

I wanted it to be portable so I started with a chassis. I stepped the back half to get it level and briefly considered trying to do a 4-link setup but luckily, reality set in and it remained a rigid.

Here's where it starts getting "bigger and better". Talking to a friend he said he saw a welder cart in a magazine where the guy had both his Mig and Tig in one package. I did some research and saw many peoples take on the idea and came up with mine.

I decided it needed to be two piece in case the Tig needed service so I added two front supports.

then went to the rear supports

and built an area for PVC tubes to hold the different Tig welding rod

finally the rear deck and bottle supports for the Argon and Argon/CO2

Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

Re: Built a new welding cart

so now on to the top

I tacked together a framework and made capped receivers to rest on the supports

I also added a drawer that was left over from a bench I have, for consumable storage

And here it is slipped off

It looks a bit wide but the reason for that is I am putting my Mig up there and my little plasma cutter. When I upgrade to a 220 Plasma cutter, I'll still have plenty of room for it. Or if I go to a water cooled Tig tip setup, I can also put that in place of the Plasma.

With that trial of all 3 units onboard, I pulled everything off for final welding, fab, paint prep.

I added 3 cable hooks on one side, one in front, and one on the other side. You can also see the storage area I made behind the Mig/Plasma platform for my electric grinders.

I kept staring at it and coming up with more ideas like boxing in the 1x2 ends and pulling out my air tools and spending more time on cleaning up the welds and such but decided it's a tank of a cart and doesn't need to be perfect or even pretty so I finally stopped, blew it apart, and painted.

Rich

Comment

And finally paint

So here it is put back together after paint

All the cables for the Tig, including the pedal, are right up front for easy access.

The drawer with consumables

The Mig cables on the side

The other side showing the 20 ft Tig cord on it's hook. I tried not to put anything on the Tig's built in cable holder as it sticks out further than the edge of the top. It's still usable if I need it though.

And grinders in their spot

I am now wishing I had at least capped off the 1x2 so I may go back and do that since I just used rattle can to paint it. (Rust-Oleum Safety Blue) I am also going to make a cable/ hose management system on the back to guide the bottle hoses and hold an extension cord for the mig and plasma.

I'm sure more things will come to mind as I begin using it. It weighs a ton with everything on it so I probably won't move it a whole lot but I can if I need to. It's also kinda nice to have it all in one place .
      Rich

Comment

No caps for the 1X2's?! Slacker! :D
        Very cool and well thought out.
        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly
          No caps for the 1X2's?! Slacker! :D
          Very cool and well thought out.
          Yeah I know, damnit! : I'll probably go back and do it later today. It's really buggin me now that I see it in the pictures. For now I'm goin to bed though.
          Rich

Comment

That's gonna eat at you until you do it, isn't it?
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Looks Great!! Also BS Approved, Way KOOL!
              200WINS HRPT Long Haul 2008, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 Bettendorf, WI Dells, 15 Champaign, Madison, 16 OK City, Wichita, KC, 17 KC, Newton
              Forum Freaks Road Trip, 2020 Kool Deadwood Nites, 2021 Southernmost Road Trip, 2022 Great Southern Tour

Comment

where's the motor... you know, they make this snazzy little kiddie electric go-karts that can be had for 100 bucks or less... chain drive that motor to the cart ..... then you'll have arrived at overdone... now it just looks nicely done.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

100% BS Approved....nice job!
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

looks good!

Now I'm going to have to paint mine. ;D
                    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

What, you couldn't find a couple of old shopping carts?

Dude, very well thought out. I've always wanted my torches and 110v Mig on a comman cart, till I need the torches outside, then realize thats not a good idea.
                      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                        100% BS Approved....nice job!
                        X2!
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

hmmm, motor...I did use a 1" spacer on the axle to get the wheel away from the frame, I could fit a ring gear in there and... no, gotta stop and leave it...except for those damn 1x2's. I just went out and looked at it again and it still bugs me. Guess I know one thing I'm doing today.

thanks for the comments, it was fun building it! Now I gotta get back to the car, anybody in Norcal area have a lead on a 72-79 351W block? It looks like the one I have was bored too big for my pistons so I need to start with another block and I can't swing an aftermarket one.
                          Rich

Comment

nice

Comment

Build more welding carts, sell them buy aftermarket 351W block...

Comment

Working...
                              X