Inline 6 Dual Manifold How-to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inline 6 Dual Manifold How-to

Stole this from the H.A.M.B. If everyone likes it, I'll snatch a few other articles like this. ;)

Re: Inline 6 Dual Manifold How-to

By the mid 1960's,Companies like "Mani-Free" made L6 Manifolds in 'Kit Form',making stuff like this a thing of the past. Offenhauser made various V8 "Convertable" Manifolds with different bolt-on top halves,1 was for use with Webber Carbs,one was for a single 4-BBL,and one was for a pair of small Holley 4-Barrels.......this was a forerunner of the soon to be released "Z/28 Cross-Ram" Manifolds. I have a pair of used,but complete Mani-Free's for use with a Chevy-6 & one for the Pontiac OHC Six,like Randal has. Both have their origional Linkage & 2 Barrel Rochester Carbs. I have LOTS of off-the-wall Manifold stuff. All GIVEN(pretty much...)to me when folk's just didin't care about them. ~J/W.

Comment

I understand that they made kits later down the line, but aside from what you have, I don't think you can get them anymore (aside from other stashes such as yours). I just thought this was really cool, and some of the BS faithful (including myself) seem to have a twisted fascination with old inliners. I figure since some of them have a few manifolds lying about, they could try this if so inclined. ;)

Comment

old article, still good stuff.

I got mad about inline fours, and I got mad at straight sixxes..manifolds was just one of the weirdos.
        not all inlines are bad, the 5cyl can't do anything else...as a diesel, i'd call it einstein.

I made my own version of a manifold on a 200ci.. as if to poke a hole right where I saw something invisible.. where I thoguht it was choking the hell out of it. ironically where the photos have one of the carbs.

it worked.. that pocket in article could have a brake booster line.

my next six is a flat one.

I found a dual weber on ebay, 350 bucks.. i would have been one to buy something like that once upon a time...

physics for dummies took over (my own learning curve) :D
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Wow, super cool post, thanks man!

Only thing I'm unsure of is the piece they made to block the pocket. The inside of that intake (I have 3 of them) is a square box, does this pipe piece just reduce the size of the box, or are they implying that they block the box off with it? The picture is a little vague....

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY

Only thing I'm unsure of is the piece they made to block the pocket. The inside of that intake (I have 3 of them) is a square box, does this pipe piece just reduce the size of the box, or are they implying that they block the box off with it? The picture is a little vague....
            I've read that a few times and, although it's a little ambiguous, it appears that the pipe is used to reduce the size of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Shannon
              Originally posted by STINEY

I've read that a few times and, although it's a little ambiguous, it appears that the pipe is used to reduce the size of the box.
              Okay, I think I've got it deciphered. They took a piece of 1 1/4 inch pipe (approx 3 inches long), capped it, brazed a blank flange on it, and bolted it in place of the original carb with the pipe portion inside the manifold...with the bottom of the capped pipe being even with the top of the runner. They show them brazing this thing while it's on the manifold, so that tells me they stuck a piece of wood or somthing in the runner to set the pipe on, ensuring the top of the wood block is the same height as the runner.

Also, the manifold they're actually doing this modification on is off of one of the older 216's. I figure there will be a few design differences between the older and newer inliner manifolds...so as far as the "box" goes, the modification needed to fill that void above the runner may not be as severe. That, and some of the cruder methods used at the time can be eliminated for a cleaner finish (ie: brazing the pipe/blank flange...I'd weld all that together instead).

I wonder how this modification would work with a couple of K-car throttle bodies?? I have an idea cooking in my head involving those now...

Comment

Working...
              X