e bay selling tips and what to look out for , please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• e bay selling tips and what to look out for , please

sadly I will have no choice but to sell all three chevelles and all the parts in basement/shed/etc
    never sold on fleebay only a few little things on criagslist
    any tips?????
    wasn't an easy choice, and I'm sure down the road I'll be kicking myself in the ass.. but, these are in pieces and the c-10 and monty SS are not.
    so if , I can't work the jobs I used to, and have to learn a new skill set..
    and more than likely loose everything..
    at least the c-10 is payed for and I can drive as my daily driver..
    after I'm allowed back driving. and I can store the mounty SS
    so, again any tips??????
    and if you know anyone that needs 68-72chevelle parts. send them my way thanks.
    I'm gonna go cry now...

Re: e bay selling tips and what to look out for , please

I would say to post on craigslist and racejunk, or any other "free" clasified first, or maybe also, before a fee run at the 'bay.

You can post in more than one local city on CL if you do a whole different add to do so, no red flags that way.

The biggest thing for Ebay, disclose as much info and description as possible and remember "AS IS" in there somewhere.

Sorry to hear you have to go that direction but, good luck not the less.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

CL is good for selling stuff locally for not top dollar. ebay gets a worldwide audience and can get top dollar if it's a rare part. The problem with ebay is that you generally have to ship stuff. In the case of a disassembled car, that's difficult. If it's a roller then the buyer can make arrangements to get it shipped, and you don't have to deal with it.

also on ebay I always look at completed auctions of the item I'm selling, to get an idea of what the parts are worth. You need to have an account with ebay (give them your credit card number) to do this. If you're going to sell stuff, you have to get an account anyways.

Shipping parts is a hassle, but if you can sell parts for decent money it's definitely worth it. When you get into heavy stuff like blocks, rearends, transmissions, etc then you might get to where you need truck freight, then it gets complicated. I've sold heads and shipped them ups, and getting $500 for a pair of old SBC heads from a vette restorer on ebay is a lot better than getting $50 for them locally.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My take on Ebay
        I've sold a couple of cars even though the
        vehicle didn't hit the reserve.....made the deal on
        the side after auction's end.
        I think a lot of cars are sold like this.......it's cheaper
        placing an ad on Ebay than it is in the St. Louis Post

On parts......I sold a ton of parts off of my Nova last
        year.
        The very first thing I do before I list them is to be sure I have
        the part packaged and ready to go.
        When auctions end........it's ready to go out the door.
        It's a real pain to sell something then start scrounging for a
        shipping box.
        Small parts I ship via USPS Flat Rate boxes.......they're free and
        it's an easy thing to do.

As Squirrel mentioned.......the large stuff can be a real pain if
        someone local doesn't buy it
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I'd try the local/free stuff first and be reasonable about what it is worth. People won't pay for "sentimental" value no matter what the back story is. Heck, make a post here, maybe some of the BSers need what you have.....I for one might be interested in some of the chevelle stuff.

Ebay? it's pricey. You'll have to deal with a bunch of deadbeat bidders and a ton of lowballers while the auction is running.
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

If you need a hand moving stuff around or whatever, let me know.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              If you need a hand moving stuff around or whatever, let me know.

Brian
              thanks

right now it'll be the parts in the basement and parting two of the velles, the last one I'll sell as a roller.. after the snow melts and I can get the nose back on it..
              dad works for sullavan tire and does the building and equipment p/m's . so I'm gonna have him see if he gets any bites on the whole mess.. and the guy that worked with my dad that owns a body shop might want it all.
              at least I'll still have the 71 c-10 and Dale (SR)86 monty SS..
              but ya I'll post up the stuff here first, bamster I'm not looking for gold for the parts, just fair.
              as I'd rather not have to worry about where to put it all if the worst happens and and the doctors say I can't work the jobs I've been and need to learn a new skill set.. as that'll mean the house will go bye bye..(hope not but it'll be tight)
              Ideally. getting dad to take on one more bodywork project , but he has his own junk to get to work on.. and truthfully.. I don't need 4 good weather cars..

thanks..
              guess I'll charge the camera up..

Comment

Mark, I changed jobs to become an attorney because I fell off a roof. I used to do construction (specifically build/install kitchen equipment in restaurants).... and going back to school did not mean I lost everything. You're right at the perfect time to apply (FAFSA) for financial aid - and the beauty is you can get paid pretty well to go to school with free money.

anyway, free advice - use it or not

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                  Mark, I changed jobs to become an attorney because I fell off a roof. I used to do construction (specifically build/install kitchen equipment in restaurants).... and going back to school did not mean I lost everything. You're right at the perfect time to apply (FAFSA) for financial aid - and the beauty is you can get paid pretty well to go to school with free money.

Excellent point! lotsa grants and help from the feds available, and the nice thing is, they are not loans, free money!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster

Excellent point! lotsa grants and help from the feds available, and the nice thing is, they are not loans, free money!
                    I hate hearing money is free from the government, we all pay for it. I took FASFA grants in college, some years I got more than others, and now every year I pay in federal income taxes well over the total of all the FASFA grants I got in college combined. In my case it must of been a good economic investment by the government! :P

Look at it in the sense that forced change is sometimes good change. Make the change work for you and have the long term plan to end up in a better position. May have to plan on harder times and loss of luxuries before it get's better, but hopefully in the end you are better off, working less and earning more.
                    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I know you're a biz man. but when u get the time could you p.m. me what you are talking about.. (fafsa)
                      I'll google that.. anywhere I should be looking.. ?

Comment

Randal is right, not free, but more of a return on your investment (taxes).

Comment

My ebay experience has been pretty good. Only got scammed once on a basket case triumph, when I offered to pick it up since he was in toledo... he was away on business in Nigeria. D'oh.

International bidders are a pain but they usually pay the most and know what shipping costs. I've made some friends that way. The customs paperwork isn't that big of a deal 5 minutes tops. I try not to lie on the selling price on those even though the european dude always asks.

I'm going to go against the grain and say only use paypal. Money orders are a pain and are easily falsified. The bank will take them, then tell you days later they're fake.... after the stuff shipped. If you're worried about fees then maybe you shouldn't be selling off Z-11 fenders and L88 heads on fleabay.

Also, pictures SELL the product. You can write 50 paragraphs and explain that it's covered in dust and a bad picture and one or two guys out of a hundred will risk it. Take the time, clean the part up (don't paint it) and take a good picture. I can host those for you if you don't want to bother with photobucket which can max out on bandwith halfway through the auction..

Also, any chance you have a factory posi for a car 12 bolt? I just bought a pegleg for the skylark and don't want to take a second mortgage out for a Eaton.
                          Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
                            Also, any chance you have a factory posi for a car 12 bolt? I just bought a pegleg for the skylark and don't want to take a second mortgage out for a Eaton.
                            I have 2 12 bolts. I'll have to look, and that might be a little bit.
                            both wheels turning the same way is posi or do I have it back wards?
                            I'll look as soon as I can (meaning when someones home incase I pass out)

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing

I know you're a biz man. but when u get the time could you p.m. me what you are talking about.. (fafsa)
                              I'll google that.. anywhere I should be looking.. ?
                              RIGHT NOW High Schools and Colleges are holding seminars on how to fill out the paperwork (or online form) to get the FASFA grants. My sister is a senior in High School and my Mom was telling me yesterday she has to go to one of these seminars(next week?) so my sister can get extra credit, because my Mom already knows pretty much how to do it from when I was going to college, you have to fill a new one out every year), and when my younger brother was going.

The seminars should be free, probably call up a local high school or college.
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X