Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PHONE SOLICTORS! How do I get rid of them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHONE SOLICTORS! How do I get rid of them?

I added something to my phone a couple weeks ago, and now I'm slammed with calls of people wanting to sell me shit I don't want. Isn't there a number or process to stop this? Thanks
    STUGOTS

Re: PHONE SOLICTORS! How do I get rid of them?

You can try the do not call list.

Register your phone number to report stop or block unwanted, annoying,telemarketing, spam calls, robocalls to the FTC

It's not supposed to be for businesses, but I added our business phones anyway. lol
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
      I added something to my phone a couple weeks ago
      Doing that puts you on the "sucker" list. Good luck!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've got to the point where I don't care if they call. It gives me something to vent my frustrations out on. Generally, they hang up on me. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger

Register your phone number to report stop or block unwanted, annoying,telemarketing, spam calls, robocalls to the FTC

It's not supposed to be for businesses, but I added our business phones anyway. lol
          Now that I gave my email, am I now on THAT sucker list too? :'(
          STUGOTS

Comment

do not call is supposed to work, i found given the type of phone I have and plan, when spam happens (the past two weeks) some loser got their hands on a big old database.

it has happened before, and always goes away.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Probably. Create a dummy email account through Hotmail or something and only use it for stuff like that. There's probably some kind of fine print for whatever you downloaded that lets them get past the 'Do Not Call List'. As soon as they start, hang up. Don't say anything, don't argue with them, don't even acknowledge them in any way. Most telemarketers stop calling a number if you immediately hang up. What's the use in calling you if they can't even get their sales pitch out? When you stay on the line for any length of time, that means opportunity to sell you their product.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly

Probably. Create a dummy email account through Hotmail or something and only use it for stuff like that. There's probably some kind of fine print for whatever you downloaded that lets them get past the 'Do Not Call List'. As soon as they start, hang up. Don't say anything, don't argue with them, don't even acknowledge them in any way. Most telemarketers stop calling a number if you immediately hang up. What's the use in calling you if they can't even get their sales pitch out? When you stay on the line for any length of time, that means opportunity to sell you their product.
                I see I am not the only one who's worked in the Teleservices industry! :-)

But not anymore; now I just work for the devils who seek and maintain everyone else's personal info, and SELL it to the companies who call you nonstop.

Sorry. It's the only living I know. :-\
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

the last one. I asked if he knew what the do not call list was. He said "yes." I said, "well, good, I'm going to report you then when they tell me your address in the report I'm going to come over and hurt you." he hung up... lol
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Most screw up my last name, so we just say "no one here by that name". they say "sorry" and hang up.
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Since we had our home phone removed and went fully mobile I don't think we've gotten any unsolicited calls. When we did hame a home phone I simply told them that they WOULD place us on their do not call list (evidently they were supposed to maintain a do not call at each phone back - no idea if this is still the case.) Nonetheless, our unsolicited calls rapidly dwindled and eventually dropped to zero so I guess it worked.

BTW - Buichguy - an old friend always said that all work is prostitution. You sell the use of your body (mind) for a given period of time for a given amount of money. Sort of the same as your signoff, no?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                        Originally posted by tedly

I see I am not the only one who's worked in the Teleservices industry! :-)

But not anymore; now I just work for the devils who seek and maintain everyone else's personal info, and SELL it to the companies who call you nonstop.

Sorry. It's the only living I know. :-\
                        I have a strange feeling we do a lot of business with your current employer. I've seen the Woodmen building from the window of an airplane more than a few times. Love Omaha, though.
                        "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

I found out that if you do business with someone, they, and ANY of their affiliates, can call you even if you're on the do-not-call list. >

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                            Since we had our home phone removed and went fully mobile I don't think we've gotten any unsolicited calls. When we did hame a home phone I simply told them that they WOULD place us on their do not call list (evidently they were supposed to maintain a do not call at each phone back - no idea if this is still the case.) Nonetheless, our unsolicited calls rapidly dwindled and eventually dropped to zero so I guess it worked.

BTW - Buichguy - an old friend always said that all work is prostitution. You sell the use of your body (mind) for a given period of time for a given amount of money. Sort of the same as your signoff, no?

Dan
                            it probably wouldn't surprise you to learn that most people who I advise have to be reminded that they trade their limited time for money.... or that if they owe money, they really are servants of those who loaned them money.... however, if it's a boss making your a prostitute (thus the boss is a pimp) one should probably find a job where that isn't the case...
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A lot of USELESS replies here :P
                              STUGOTS

Comment

Working...
                              X