Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench racing [i]CRAZYNESS[/I]

oK being bored and stuck in house (waiting on doctors) and being cheap
    With all the talk about Turbo this turbo that.. again with the "theme" of cheap.
    with a truck, say like my long bed 71 c-10.. removed the bed and installed a 5.5' by 8' by 28" tank
    and compressed the air to 150psi. and piped it to a turbo carb box...
    where would one find an electricly controlled regulator that would flow say 950cfm
    seems to me, the tank would have enough air for a 11 sec or under run..
    regulating the air ,seems to be where I come up short... if I can fix that issue,
    the tank is a piece of cake (water truck tank) cut down
    no turbo, no intercooler, no packaging nitemares(at least for a p/u)
    and the ability to make the engines air below sealevel no matter the weather or location..
    crazy or......................................

Re: Bench racing CRAZYNESS

I think this was tried in tractor pulling some time ago - not sure if it ever took off or not. I know the tank required to support the kind of airflow you'll be making, was huge and very very heavy when full of compressed air.

Those guys didn't regulate it that I know of. They turned it all on, like 200psi, at once.

It would be a busy tune with the constantly-decreasing air pressure during the pass.

But don't let the above deter you, it would be cool as a mofo to see someone try this. Maybe it's been done already?
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
      I think this was tried in tractor pulling some time ago - not sure if it ever took off or not. I know the tank required to support the kind of airflow you'll be making, was huge and very very heavy when full of compressed air.

Those guys didn't regulate it that I know of. They turned it all on, like 200psi, at once.

It would be a busy tune with the constantly-decreasing air pressure during the pass.

But don't let the above deter you, it would be cool as a mofo to see someone try this. Maybe it's been done already?
      if you regulate the 150psi tank down to 15-25psi with a flow of 950cfm..
      the decreasing presure shouldn't be a factor within 11sec or under..

as for weight, the tank would be 100lb's more than the stock bed with bed cover..

just a crazy idea..

Comment

I am sure the people who created the Snuggy thought it was Crazy as well. :D

Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

actually, the folks you need to talk to are the ones that shoot pumpkins
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
            Originally posted by dieselgeek

if you regulate the 150psi tank down to 15-25psi with a flow of 950cfm..
            the decreasing presure shouldn't be a factor within 11sec or under..

as for weight, the tank would be 100lb's more than the stock bed with bed cover..

just a crazy idea..
            I'm guessing the tractor pull guys were needing a lot more airflow: they were talking like it was THOUSANDS of additional pounds.

Meanwhile, is 950cfm enough? that sounds like a naturally aspirated engine's airflow.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Remember that the density of the air will be much greater. I wonder what kind of cooling you would get as it goes from 150 psi to 25? Should also provide a benefit.

Comment

I would think you would just need a pressure regulator(s) a quick google search found http://www.cashcosolutions.com/downl...?file=8310.pdf If I am reading correctly it can have up to 200psi inlet and 1-30 out let. I don't know how to tell what the flow rate is but if one will not support 950cfms just run as many as you need in parallel into a manifold. I hope you have a good air compressor to pump up a tank that big!
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

How about a driveshaft driven piston type compressor that you can engage to fill the tank on the return road and trip to the staging lanes?.....self sufficient
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

going to through my 2 pennies out there not much but...

Would you need to worry about water with that much compressed air? Would it be as simple as adding a water seperator? The only thing constructive I can think of.

It sounds like it could be a simple set up. Crude. But simple.

How where you thinking of actuating the "boost"?
                    Sounds interesting
                    Jeff
                    Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                      actually, the folks you need to talk to are the ones that shoot pumpkins
                      Not a bad idea.
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Wouldn't any added water/moisture act like a water/meth injection system?
                        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Art Malone did it years ago with a really oddball combination. This thing had a sidewinder hemi and the blower was replaced with a compressed air cylinder, trying to free up the horsepower otherwise lost turning the blower.

Ron
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

That much volume at that pressure is one hell of an air tank. Two things spring to mind. It seems like it'd both weigh a ton (and cost a ton) but a bank of 5000 psi tanks?

Can we ditch the carb? Hell, could we get rid of the intake valves? I wonder if we could go GDI and inject the air in too?
                            Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Now this brings up what is, for me, an old question. Why don't we just inject O2 instead of N2O? Hook up your O2 bottle from the welding kit and shoot it into the intake. I've always wondered what would happen but never was curious enough to actually try it.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X