Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bench racing CRAZYNESS

Originally posted by DanStokes
    Now this brings up what is, for me, an old question. Why don't we just inject O2 instead of N2O? Hook up your O2 bottle from the welding kit and shoot it into the intake. I've always wondered what would happen but never was curious enough to actually try it.

Dan
    That's something I was always curious about too. I sometimes toss around the idea hooking something up like that and just let it loose in the intake, no need to get fancy. Maybe N20 is more stable, or easier on parts?

Comment

I'd never use a piston style compressor, I'd use a screw type as they're far more efficient.... but now you're back to a blower - so why carry all the extra weight of a tank? kind of sounds like the law of diminishing returns would keep this from being efficient.... especially when turbos are lighter, use less hp, and do the same thing...

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07
        Originally posted by DanStokes
        Now this brings up what is, for me, an old question. Why don't we just inject O2 instead of N2O? Hook up your O2 bottle from the welding kit and shoot it into the intake. I've always wondered what would happen but never was curious enough to actually try it.

Dan
        That's something I was always curious about too. I sometimes toss around the idea hooking something up like that and just let it loose in the intake, no need to get fancy. Maybe N20 is more stable, or easier on parts?
        It all comes down to volume, guys. N20 is a LIQUID when it is sprayed into the engine. As such, it displaces very little volume for its weight. When it reaches 600 degrees in the combustion chamber, the nitrogen molecules turn loose of teh oxygen molecules and you have a crapload of oxygen available for co9mbustion.

If you were to inject O2, it would be in its gaseous form and thus already expanded to a relatively high volume. The N20 will actually release more useable oxygen for combustion relative to volume than gaseous O2 will.

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Makes sense. There's one nagging question answered.

Comment

The other cool thing about N2O is that the nitrogen makes the molecule waaaay more stable.

Plain ole O2 is a big time oxidizer, and is NOT as stable. Also, your point on the cooling of n2o is well-said: just 02 doesn't cool enough to help in that respect... but you could try liquid oxygen... if you've got balls of iron, a hazmat suit, and don't mind using something that's that explosive in the presence of petroleum products. ;D
            Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

air is like 90% nitrogen.

Pure 02 and gasoline is a bomb. ;D I don't think the 14mm threads on the plugs would be able to hold and you'd have 8 bullet holes in the hood.
              Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

I think it's about 70%.
                What would happen if rather than the air tank proving boost, it provided thrust. Just look at Art's car and put the seat in front of the tank, loose the engine, add more down force, and skinny tires at all four corners. How many of us played with this in a scale version as kids?
                Heck, the Mythbusters got a small tank to go through a concrete wall.

Comment

Working...
                X