What makes a hardcore car guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a hardcore car guy?

Hardcore as opposed to someone who likes cars, but doesnt really seem like a car guy?

If a woman is into cars she is already pretty hardcore for her gender since most dont want anything to do with it. Although I suppose some women are more into it than others... The point is it isnt sexist, what makes you or someone you know stand out from all the wannabes?

Re: What makes a hardcore car guy?

I'm guessing someone who's vast majority of thoughts and conversations have to do with cars. I'm thinking as hardcore as you can get is that you don't have other hobbies or interests. I think there are levels starting with someone who will stop and stare at a snappy ride, but doesn't know much about them beyond what he likes. Then, going up to the guy who never talks about anything else. Someone with tachometers for eyes and gasoline for blood.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

What about the guy that spends days fabricating parts out of what's laying around and doing all the work himself, just because he can?

Comment

Lots of car mags in the bathroom
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by sedandelivery55
          What about the guy that spends days fabricating parts out of what's laying around and doing all the work himself, just because he can?
          that would be awesome.

I have seen several realms of hardcore.. there is a restore, a set plan, maticulous..because they can.

then there is the involunatry physicist living in siberia keeping machinery going beyond words of human comprehension.

that is beyond hard core I guess.. when education is their own reverberating the puny minded money sucking companies that make the stuff, that is hard core.

the rest is taking a puzzle apart and putting it back together shinier...all welcome to gather, because no one cares.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The inability to sleep due to the hot rods roaming around in your imagination.

:o

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

WHAT about the guy that was seting up the gauge panel instead of watching the superbowl ;D

Comment

Guys like us of course!
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

When you're to the point of having friends and family threaten an intervention. Has happened TWICE.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Tattoos that are only understood by other gearheads ...
                    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Everyone will have a different definition of "hard core car guy"

But I look back and I have seen a few decent hard core situations play out:

To me, an example of hardcore is, after you blew up your engine halfway through drag week, while leading your class, and guys like Phil Cooper and Larry Larson are right there behind you - deciding to rebuild the engine in a shitty dirt parking lot. Hard Core is driving 400+ miles out of your way to get parts for that guy, and making it to the event in time for the next morning. There is no question to me about the core hardness of something like that.

I never really considered myself a "hardcore car guy" but I look back at some of the adventures I've been through... here are pics of last summer at Bonneville. I think Randal took these?

The story goes like this: we were on the salt at Speed Week and the #1950 Buick was misfiring above 5000rpm (we never tested it that high on the dyno, only went to 4500rpm). It was losing the crank position signal... so, we gutted a spare megasquirt which had the part we needed - and tried installing that part in his EMS-pro. Few people here probably appreciate trying to manually install something as tiny as a surface mount resistor... see pics below.

Take a close look at the penny. The part I was trying to install is sitting on it. This is with my solder station plugged into a borrowed generator, on a work bench in a neighboring racer's trailer.

Does this attempt qualify as hard core?
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I took welding in college just so I could work on my car. I was one of only two females and made better grades and welds than the guys...just to prove a point. I doubt that's hardcore to y'all but it definitely sets me apart in my group of friends.
                        Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

You bet, Scott.

My definition is someone who actually DOES car stuff instead of look at or talking about it. Have you installed your own clutch, rebuilt a carb, worked as a tech - anything that involves actually DOING it. Talk's cheap. I don't think that guys who buy work are hardcore. I'm not knocking it, just saying that for me that's the difference between "enthusiast" and "hard-core car guy". And Haley and Celeste and JW are, for sure, hard-core, so you don't have to be a "guy" to be a car "guy".

Also, reference the Yannick Sire thread!
                          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                            Lots of car mags in the bathroom
                            The entire interior of the '59 was in one of our bathrooms for over 2 years...

That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Every time I buy something and the price comes out to an engine size, I tell the cashier....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X