Oak flooring project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak flooring project

Now I understand why people pay to have a professional do solid oak floors.

Been on this project for the last 2-3 weeks.
    Taking from the 2009 project {year and a half ago, I did the kitch, now doing the living room...hallway not done yet, or the steps. Or closet.sigh :-[ :-\

Although, the house seems like it's lost it's funk after tearing out some nasty carpet.
    Amazing what carpet can hide, even though it's been "cleaned" regularly.
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Oak flooring project

Looks nice!!!

should have said something earlier, you could have borrowed my pneumatic nailers!
    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

nice.. we are going to do cork in basement..
      did whole house(but kitchen) hardwood.

Comment

That looks really good! Did you allow for the dishwasher to come out?

A friend of mine got stuck having to cut up part of his hardwood that was laid after the cabinets - cuz he couldn't get his dishwasher out.

Bummer on the hot water heater too - ours is an '86 model and still going strong - I got a new scratch and dent one at Lowes one day knowing I'm on borrowed time - it's sitting right next to the old one just waiting to be put into service.

On demand ones have short comings, the exhaust is really hot and needs special flue pipe.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks for supporting the hardwood industry.

Comment

That looks really good!
            I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Phil318
              Thanks for supporting the hardwood industry.
              yeah, now go out and get some new American made kitchen fixtures and a sink to really complete the new kitchen theme. :D
              Seriously though, nice work. Having a nice habitat is important.

Comment

that looks nice.

John, I know someone as well who did the same thing - but he cut the dishwasher apart. ;D
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Wooden Floors. Invest in a 'Swiffer' Duster or somethin' similar.....them Wooden Floors LOOOVVVVE to attract the Dust :P ;). ~J/W.

Comment

I'm going to remember you when I do mine ;D
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Damnit Scott...what you got going on Saturday? I need to finish this mess. LOL
                      Actually, I need to go back for another box of staples, and plan on renting the nailer one more day.
                      For the coin I've dropped, could of bought it, used it, and then out of boredom, modified to semi-auto mode for target practice.
                      ;D

Anyways, here's an update...
                      OK...at times I hate my dog.

Sonafabeeeyotching dog.
                      I think he was bored. And hungry.

Some stuff he did back on 1-24.

Starting with the mess on the floor:

Seems he found some of my left overs from my cousn's cats, despite the carpet being cleaned a couple times in the last 6 years...damn choad masters!

Due to me being considerate....and keeping things PG rated...LOL...we got board...bored...hell with it...we had a board party and a bunch of people were eating, drinking, and signing on some floor boards. Call it fun Kama for the house.
                      The views expressed on the boards...well, they were probably sponsored by Bud Light, Corona, and a lot of Famous Dave's BBQ.

Starting by clearing all the carpet, hand railing and pulling the staples and crap...not fun.

Hand nailed the first three rows. Yes. It was slow going.

It's a staggering job...{Ah, I had to...I know. Bad pun}

Adding the good Kama to the house...

Getting there, Sunday night:

Working into Monday:

Still need to keep going...but pretty happy with said results.
                      Andrew

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

About nearing the finish line. The floor kicked my ass pretty good.

The steps were time consuming. but what a difference.

I am down to a small 5 foot section, and then replacing all the finish trim next.
                        Andrew

Comment

You could have done the stairs with one solid board for each step. That's what my dad did for my stairs with the kitchen being hardwood. It would have been a lot easier. To me, the slat flooring looks funny on stairs, probably because I've never seen it before.
                          Make sure you seal that floor good, especially the kitchen. The boards started to warp in mine, leaving some cracks. Probably from a combination of stuff getting spilled, mopping, and the boards themselves shrinking.

Comment

that oak stairs reminded me of a recent trip down my stairs (in my socks).... ouch .... do put a good handrail there :-\
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I thought of that too - it would make it even easier for the cat to trip me in the mornings.
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X