Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding the March Meet OBSESSION !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding the March Meet OBSESSION !!!!

Since 1989 I've been involed in Nostalgia Drag Racing. I was 19 years old and went with a friend to Famoso to watch the drags. I came home and told my dad they were racing the way it used to be in Bakersfield. He was a G/S racer from 1962 to 1970. He got out when the costs skyrocketed. So after 20 years away he returned. And ever since....we've loved the March Meet. But it wasnt until the Goodguys took it over did the event explode. So now...every year...the March Meet is our families SUPERBOWL. I've been to the US Nationals.... I've been to the Winternationals....the Finals. I've been to tons of other "special" events. Nothing gets my blood boiling like the MARCH MEET at Famoso....it's something that can't be told.....it's something that HAS to be felt.....the history.....the honor.....the PARTYING !

Here's an article that Famoso track manager Blake Bowser wrote. He tells his story and you can see his emotion.

The Beatings will continue until MORALE IMPROVES !!!!

Re: Understanding the March Meet OBSESSION !!!!

New entry for my bucket list!
    Reading , Pa
    Good Guys rodders rep.
    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

good luck with that

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
        New entry for my bucket list!
        I'm hoping for a BS announcement any day that they will cover it LIVE again this year. ;)

I've been talking to Chad and he's cookin up something good...so.....we shall see !!!!!

Comment

Ron;I have raced every one since GGs took it over then on to the Heritage Series.Went as a spectator back in about 73,I think it was,then again about 81 when I think it was the NDRA. I'm bringing some new blood for Hot Rod this year,plus draggin' Eric's dead ass along ,I think he just wanted some free grub!! ROY.

Comment

Originally posted by ROY
            Ron;I have raced every one since GGs took it over then on to the Heritage Series.Went as a spectator back in about 73,I think it was,then again about 81 when I think it was the NDRA. I'm bringing some new blood for Hot Rod this year,plus draggin' Eric's dead ass along ,I think he just wanted some free grub!! ROY.
            I'm glad Eric is coming......I need to talk to him......considering putting the altered on the track since it isnt selling. Eric is a great hired gun......maybe 2012 we'll go after the NEI title(in Heritage Series...and ANRA).... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Ron;shall I tell him to bring his fire suit?!!!! C-YA,ROY.

Comment

Originally posted by ROY
                Ron;shall I tell him to bring his fire suit?!!!! C-YA,ROY.
                NOPE...I'd want to completely go through the car and get things the way I want them.....And for right now we're swamped with work....and trying to remodel the house we just bought.....so my time is all chewed up !...LOL

Comment

I went to a March Meet once. It was abso-frickin-lutely awesome!!!!

Chassisman, what about it is "like the old days" from a racer's perspective? Is there something different about how the event is run?
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I love the March Meet. First went in 1973 (yes I'm old!).

Just wish they didn't have to add the guard walls, K-rail and a fence was being at the drags.......... 8)
                    There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

Chassisman, what about it is "like the old days" from a racer's perspective? Is there something different about how the event is run?
                      There are NO throttle stops allowed...period....NO programable electronic ign.....NO pneumatic systems....In other words....it's a racers race....not a punch in the number and run it race.

It's ran like a race racers enjoy being at.....not like some National Event where the lower classes are treated like dirt. At the March Meet I sign kids shirts and programs just like the big boys...it's a totally different atmosphere.

T/F rules...front motored.... 392 based HEMI design ....single mag.....6-71 blower.....single pump (spec pump)...mechanical clutch...2 disc limit...12.0" spec tires.... ET's...5.70's...at 270MPH....if that dont make your blood pump...nothing will.

Comment

Originally posted by Chassisman
                        Originally posted by dieselgeek

There are NO throttle stops allowed...period....NO programable electronic ign.....NO pneumatic systems....In other words....it's a racers race....not a punch in the number and run it race.

It's ran like a race racers enjoy being at.....not like some National Event where the lower classes are treated like dirt. At the March Meet I sign kids shirts and programs just like the big boys...it's a totally different atmosphere.

T/F rules...front motored.... 392 based HEMI design ....single mag.....6-71 blower.....single pump (spec pump)...mechanical clutch...2 disc limit...12.0" spec tires.... ET's...5.70's...at 270MPH....if that dont make your blood pump...nothing will.
                        You had me at "No Throttle Stops"

thanks bro. ;)
                        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I just enjoy the intentional nod to the vintageness of it all. Old school speed parts that are way out of date being run hard like they were meant to be. Nothing beats the smell of race gas in the pits in the morning. Hope I can go this year.
                          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Originally posted by cantvalve16
                            I just enjoy the intentional nod to the vintageness of it all. Old school speed parts that are way out of date being run hard like they were meant to be. Nothing beats the smell of race gas in the pits in the morning. Hope I can go this year.
                            Brian...you make it out there Friday night around 7pm....and dinner is on me !!!!!!!

That goes for all of you BS guys.....show up at the March Meet Friday night and get into my FREE BBQ. My pit is down near the end of the swap meet....look for the Captain Morgan flag and the pole with the chasing LEDs on it...and your there.

Last year we fed 165 people...just ask ROY on here...good times....decent food...lol

Comment

If you walk away from Chassisman's BBQ hungry,it is YOUR fault!!! Great food and even better bench racing,just wear your boots!!!! ROY.

Comment

Working...
                              X