What Would YOU Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would YOU Do?

More health stuff. I got a call today from the cardiologist's office and my ejection fraction (the amount of blood leaving the heart vs. the amount entering) is down to 35%. An Olympic athlete is around 70% and normal is about 50-60%. Anyhow, they want to implant a defibrillator and I'm not wild about the idea. I've had NO symptoms other than the shortness of breath that I've had for years after (for example) a flight of stairs. No pain, no blackouts, none of that stuff. I realize that the idea of the defib is to prevent any of those complications but I'm really not wild about having this thing in my chest that will make decisions and set itself off whenever IT thinks I need it.

Do any of you guys have one? Would you do it again? Please discuss.

Dan

Re: What Would YOU Do?

I wouldn't' try for the Twins in this condition.... ( Don't know... just say'in )

Comment

My Mom had one, pretty cool technology....doc could change setting n stuff over the phone. We got about 10 more years out of her, and it wasn't her heart that did her in. If it will help avoid the big 1, I'd say go for it. Her's only seemed to bother her in real cold weather which isn't supposed to be a problem for you.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

My wife's dad wouldn't be around if he didn't have one. Its saved it more than once.

Dan you never know when something can happen, on minute you feel on top of the world and the next your laying on the ground dieing.

I'm sure everyone here can agree, if this device keeps you around talking with us for years to come, it'd be the only smart thing to do.

And I don't think I have to remind you about your family. ;)

I know it's a hard decision, but remember don't F around with health!!!!!

Comment

As with any health dilema - I would get another opinion.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks guys. This is a tough decision for me. It's hard to want to do something when nothing's symptomatically wrong. I know my heart isn't in the best shape but I'm not wild about them carving on me. As a reminder, I have 3/4 of a heart following my heart attack 8 years ago which left the left outer wall kaput. The heart is essentially the same as a dry sump oil pump with the right side acting as scavenge and the left side the high pressure output. The left inner wall is still active and the left outer is stable which is why I'm still chugging.

John - second opinion is on the way. The guy who wants me to get the defib is not my usual cardiologist so I'm setting up an appointment with my regular guy. We'll see what he says. Can you trust an Irish (straight over from the old country) cardio? If he wasn't so serious you could mistake him for a leprechaun.

Dan

Comment

Follow up question. Can we hot rod it and turn you into an olympic athlete?

I'm with John, but likely the technology is fine.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Ohhhh.... damn it man...... Do the twins...

Comment

I vote for second opinion, but no fear of the carving knife. It's very unlikely that any surgery and hardware upgrades they install are worth worrying about - probably more chance of getting run over by a bus than having problems with the surgery. My uncle just got a liver transplant, it was practically outpatient surgery.

Tell them to leave a few extra inches on the wiring harness so you can megasquirt it later on!!
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Then he can do the twins?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                      Ohhhh.... damn it man...... Do the twins...
                      Are they nurses?

(please say they are nurses!!!)
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                        Then he can do the twins?
                        Yes Keith, THEN he can do the twins, with a full write up to follow.

Comment

Scott - as I understand it, it comes with a MS as standard equipment. Accessed thru a cell phone. Now THAT'S a bit scary - some guy trying to call tech support in India can reprogram my heart by accident. Could Space Aliens (or the CIA) have control of me for nefarious reasons?

Randal, you've seen my legs. No, a 27" inseam CANNOT be an Olympic athlete under any circumstances (except maybe in synchronized swimming and that's OUT).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                            ... a 27" inseam CANNOT be an Olympic athlete under any circumstances (except maybe in synchronized swimming and that's OUT).
                            what about curling with heated burst assisted steering

Comment

I don't DO cold weather! Nope, Olympics are out - unless they come up with new sports like competitive snoring. Or dog petting (I'm GOOD at that).

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X