Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Would YOU Do?

Dan, PM sent.

Anyone have any questions, fire away. Tomorrow's schedule is gonna be a shit show, but I should be able to answer back Sat night.

These devices do spell the end of your welding career, (except oxy-acetylene---no electricity involved) and if your profession involves anything to do with electricity and voltage (IGNITION SYSTEMS!!) You're gonna hafta stay a healthy distance. So get a buddy to adjust your timing, and put the components in the trunk. RF suppression wires.... the gamut. That's IF you get an ICD implanted.

The thing about the high voltage is that it confuses the device into thinking your heart is doing 10,000rpm (good for a small block, deadly for mammals), and it's programmed to shock you if that happens---because if your heart really were going that fast, you'd better have your will in order. Don't get me wrong, these things DO save people's lives.

Oldsman, I hear ya, some say the medications are sometimes just poisons with beneficial side effects.

But you're still here, man!

Dan, did they mention anything about something called your "QRS width"? Its a measurement taken off the squiggly line on the heart monitor tests that look like a seismograph. aka, a "12-lead EKG". It will possibly dictate what the doc's are considering implanting. If its over a certain number, you've hit the lotto for what's called a "Cardiac ReSynchronization Device".... fancy way of saying it'll re-coordinate how your heart beats, which has positive outcomes if effective on your ticker.

If any of you lurkers are curious, Google or Wiki this stuff:
    Heart Failure
    Cardiac Resyncronization
    Ejection Fraction
    ICD (implantable cardioverter defibrillator)
    Tachycardia
    Ventricular Fibrillation

And these companies:
    Medtronic
    Boston Scientific
    St. Jude (not the hospital---different business)
    Biotronik
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

It rules that you know all that stuff.
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Again, thanks all. Reply sent, Tony.

I did the Google searches as recommended and did get more info. It tends to lead me away from having it done - for tonight. Tomorrow I may assess the same data very differently! I have had NO arhythmia (sp?) issues since the initial heart attack, which was over 8 years ago.

No problem on how it affects my career. I don't think it'll interfere with "doing nothing", which is my career. But it might mess up some of my screwing around in the shop.

Still stewing.........
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
          Again, thanks all. Reply sent, Tony.

I did the Google searches as recommended and did get more info. It tends to lead me away from having it done - for tonight. Tomorrow I may assess the same data very differently! I have had NO arhythmia (sp?) issues since the initial heart attack, which was over 8 years ago.

No problem on how it affects my career. I don't think it'll interfere with "doing nothing", which is my career. But it might mess up some of my screwing around in the shop.

Still stewing.........
          Dan
          Brian, I can drop a minimal bit of knowledge, but when it comes to this stuff, I'm still DUMB. Those tidbits are drop in the bucket...

Dan, the thing is, those websites are geared towards the general public: not specific patients with specific issues. Your shortness of breath may be okay a year or two from now, but it could possibly be the type that progresses to the point where you can't watch tv without being outta breath. You DON'T want it to get to that point.

The potential for an arrhythmia is only one piece of the puzzle here... the way your heart is 'aging' (maybe faster than YOU!) is another...

incidentally, Dan, ask your doc about a 'CRT-P' ... the 'p' is for 'pacing'... those don't deliver shocks, but are designed to help resynchronize the heart.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: if your doc can't or won't take the time to discuss these things with you to YOUR satisfaction, find another doc who will.
          Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by R442

The unit is can be remotely programmed and scanned so there is no need for the extra visits for tune ups or diagnostics.

Good luck.
            Incidentally, just to keep info straight: these thingys do have 'remote' monitoring systems sometimes... but that's all they do, monitor. Gives the doc info, which is helpful, especially if there's something amiss, or if the patient's symptoms get worse.

They cannot be 'remotely' programmed. That can only be done in person, and only by doc's orders.

Comment

Tony..... What do you think about the Twin idea???

( Look .... I got nothing here.... but I know for a fact Twins add a smile to almost every mans face.... ( cept them BMW guys )... ( and wifes.... especially if they got big " ta Ta's " )

Comment

Tony, as I said in the PM - THANKS! It's great to have all of y'all's input but Tony is in the business and his stuff is REALLY helpful. I'll print out his responses and take them with me for the second opinion visit.

On the Twins issue - it's tough finding twins that are age appropriate for an old guy like me and the young'uns really don't float my boat anymore (I want to protect them like a Dad - or Grandpa). However, the next door neighbor's Mom is an identical twin and they're pretty hot, with gorgeous silver hair. HMmmmmm. But no - ME really is just right for me.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                X