RIP Tom Carnegie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Tom Carnegie

Thanks for the fond memories Tom. Every time I go to the track, I'll always think of you..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgK-LvUZsUI

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/racing...ory?id=6112568

Re: RIP Tom Carnegie

sorry to hear hes gone, was a great announcer!! prayers for his family!!!
    COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

i always enjoyed hearing his voice, it just went together so well with the racecars, like peanut butter to jelly
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (February 11, 2011) - The following is a statement by Richard Childress, president and CEO of Richard Childress Racing, regarding the passing of Tom Carnegie, the legendary public address announcer at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, who passed away today at the age of 91:

?Tom Carnegie is as closely related to the rich history of Indianapolis Motor Speedway as all of the legendary drivers and race cars that competed at The Brickyard for the past 100 years. He was ?The Voice of Indy? for generations, whether it was Indy Cars, NASCAR or Formula One, and that voice was as recognizable as any in sports. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his immediate family and his IMS family.?

Comment

Oh wow...............just wow...............

Like most race fan kids I lived for first listening then watching (same Day Telecast!) the 500.
          In 1987 my then new wife dropped me off at 16Th st and Georgetown Rd. and I entered THE BRICKYARD for the first time,I was in awe as I came out of the tunnel...
          About 30 minutes later 1rst day qualifying started and I heard Toms voice echo off those grandstands...."and HEEZZZZ ON IT!" (Chills even now as I type it)....

Someday's when I visited I wished they would just play tapes of his qualifying calls...over the PA system.

Comment

I don't know if any BS made it to the first Brickyard 400,but my Friend Scott and I did.
            As I said above I hand been to 500 Qualiying,when the first stockcar came out Tom of course was on the mic,he went through the drivers name,car number sponsers etc... as the car came down the front strait he started with ANNN HEEEZ ON IT!.... and nothing... the car had not even cleared the pit entrance. Toms timing was off because the cars where SOOO SSLLLOOOW.... I'm thinking back and I think the 500 had not had 180ish qaulifying sense the 60's.
            Of course within about 3 cars he was back on it timing wise,but it was kind of funney to us at the time.

Comment

Working...
            X