Grits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grits

Waxing philosophical, why don't Yankees like grits? And why is it plural? Matt (Pumpkin) has the greatest line about it, "Grits? Let me try ONE grit and see if I like it, and then I may want some more." Or something like that.

Personally, I didn't like hominy. Had to go to Missouri to experience that. The waitress at the restaurant took my order. I said "Three eggs, scrambled, with bacon." She said, "Hominy?" I said THREE.

You should have seen her face. Eyeballs never rolled back so far. So there I was, hominy on the plate. Like big marbles that pop in your mouth when you chew 'em. POW! No, I don't care too much for hominy and it's a good thing - you sure can't get it around here.

But to educate Yankees about grits, here ya go, just for fun:

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: Grits

Heck, I like corn with butter on it in any configuration.
    While I have yet to try grits, I am sure I would like them.
    And for those who wouldn't deign to eating southern cuisine, just call it polenta - same thing, Italian style.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

grits is native amercian baby food.

or for the toothless. :

anywhere corn grows grit has been had. it is not just southern... I could guess more midwest than anything.

northern climates don't fall much for empty foods. Corn is as empty and meaningless as boiling macaroni.

its the food that don't change much going through our systems.. if you know what I mean.

why isn;t there a carrot version.. oh wait there is.. gerber makes it... for babies. ???

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

yanks don't like grits, because it's well. we have all our teeth and don't need babyfood, corn on the cob please..

Comment

Butter grits at the Capital Inn in Jackson, MS. Changed this Yankee's life, well likely shortened it anyway.

Are people from California Yankees? or something else/worse?

Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Something MUCH worse,Bill ;D! ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
              Something MUCH worse,Bill ;D! ~J/W.
              DING!

I'd never say that, but I've sure thought it a time or two every now and then!

Comment

I like grits, cheese grits are the best. Buttered grits mashed up in runny fried eggs is devine.

I hate hominy, but my daughter loves it.

I do live in Lick Skillet Alabama, and have all but one of my teeth, the other is a dental crown from a root canal, we do have dental care in the south.
                Lon. HazelGreen Ala.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                  While I have yet to try grits, I am sure I would like them.
                  And for those who wouldn't deign to eating southern cuisine, just call it polenta - same thing, Italian style.
                  Stude, PM me your snail address, and I'll send ya a bag. Life without grits? Unthinkable.

Really we're all stuck with what we can get regionally. Sue Unit's from Pittsburgh and there's a type of Heinz sweet pickle she really likes and you can't get 'em here. All the pickles on the shelf at the store are Mount Olive (as in Mount Olive NC). The onlty thing Heinz down here is ketchup. (Not catsup, Northern friends).

Comment

nothing like eggs over medium and grits mixed together and some toast to help sop up whats left on the plate.
                    It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

Grits is one of those things you miss most when you can't have it. Yankees just don't understand that or sweet tea.
                      Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Originally posted by studemax
                        For once I got ot agree with Studemax here...

I grew up in Pittsburgh...and I love me some grits...and how about some fried mush...I love me some fried mush!

I found this vintage recipie for it...

first, she brings to a boil 4 cups salted water. Into this, beating thoroughly, she stirs 1 cup yellow corn meal, mixed to a paste with a little cold water. Stirring constantly, she cooks it over a slow fire for about 10 minutes, transfers it to a double boiler, and cooks slowly for 1 hour longer. Then she pours the mush into a well-greased oblong loaf pan and lets it cool. When thoroughly cold and solid, she cuts it into slices, 1/2 inch thick, dips each slice in flour, and fries it on a hot griddle until golden-brown on both sides. The menfolk usually spread the crisp slices with molasses or syrup.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by catchmeblue70
                          Grits is one of those things you miss most when you can't have it. Yankees just don't understand that or sweet tea.
                          Aint THAT the truth!!! North of the Mason Dixon line, just ask for sweet tea and see the looks you get. The answer is always, "There's sugar packets there on the table if you want." No, that don't get it. It doesn't even work, doesn't dissolve in the cold tea.

It piles up in the bottom of the glass, no matter how much you stir it. It piles up and stares at you, like, "Don't you wish you were back home, peewee? This Yankee stuff is for the birds, ain't it? Home, peewee, HOME.""

Comment

i get'm everytime i hit a waffle house
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I never understood they non sweet tea thing...stupid imo...i dont like soda so i drink tea..have to use sweet and low becasue the sugar just sits there...mocking me...

there are a few places in town that serve sweet tea..but not many...non sweet tea tastes like a-hole...why would anyone drink it...

What part of Pitt is Sue from peewee
                              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                              X