Nascar EFI pushed off to 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nascar EFI pushed off to 2012

So I'm running prototype NASCAR EFI? I finally feel important, whew.
    Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

Bill "Pull those belt tight one more time", "Booger Booger Booger"
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

McClaren provides the spec ECU for F1. I'm sure they've got plenty of experience with top notch tuners, ummm "cheaters."

I'm more interested in seeing what rules they create for throttle bodies and injection placement. I hope that there is something to be learned, but I bet they spec placement, thereby negating any experimentation.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
          Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
          Some of the 'Old Heads' were talkin' about that very thing the other day,Jim. I DO belive Street Racing...in some form or another will make somewhat of a comeback. But,all of the "Uncle/Big-Brother/Black Helicopter/doom-n-gloom" stuff is slowly becoming a reality. Folks I'd NEVER suspect of being 'the type' are becoming more & more complaining/upset/worried,you name it. The comming years are going to be 'interesting' to be sure. ~J/W.
          anybody that fell for 9/11 is at least partly guilty.. sheep, followers that need protection..... wimps, pansies, you name it.
          and for those that think they were not lead astray, brainwashed.... look at nazi germany, if it was that easy then just imagine now... nationalism, patriotism, the fatherland, homeland (security), you name it.... it's a nanny state
          oh brother

Comment

I vote for EFI and E85

link to ethanol plants is USA
            http://www.distill.com/usa.html

map of plants
            http://www.ethanolproducer.com/plantmap/

Comment

burning foodFOR FUEL IN CARS =food riots
              i vote METHANOL

Comment

NASCAR announced Friday that its Sprint Cup Series entries will shift to fuel injection and plans to have systems in place in time for the 2012 season-opening Daytona 500.

Britain's McLaren Electronic Systems will provide the controller through a partnership with Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. out of Austin, Texas. Testing and development of the components will continue throughout the year.

It’s a move that has been in the works for months and was first reported on FOXSports.com.

For the first time since NASCAR debuted in 1947, carburetors will be obsolete. NASCAR’s new technology is not expected to alter the current performance of the cars. NASCAR Vice President of Competition Robin Pemberton says fuel injection will “make the same horsepower if not more.”

“This move gives up an additional opportunity to incorporate the best technology and efficiency to the NASCAR Sprint Cup cars while at the same time complementing the car’s high performance,” Pemberton said. “This is a positive step that will provide greater fuel efficiency and a greener footprint while maintaining the same great competition that we have seen on the race track.”

Freescale will provide the processors for McLaren’s engine control units (ECUs) that will be used to manage the fuel and ignition systems in the engines for all NASCAR Sprint Cup Series cars. NASCAR and its top series teams will test the technology during the 2011 season with the anticipation of the systems being rolled out for the 2012 season.

NASCAR added that that only approved software can be run and that it will have special electronic tools at its disposal during every event to ensure the legality of all ECUs.

Jamie Allison, Director, Ford North America Motorsports, said the manufacturer is in favor of the move.

"We fully support the move to fuel injection in NASCAR," he said. "It's been a topic of discussion by the manufacturers and NASCAR for a number of years, and we're pleased to see it progressing forward. Our Ford fans want to see more brand identity and relevant technologies in the cars we race in NASCAR; so we think it's very important that both the cars and the technology in NASCAR are more closely related to production cars. The move to fuel injection is another important step in that process."

Lee White, president of Toyota Racing Development, says his group has been testing a couple of different configurations of fuel injection “for more than six months." Considering that most of the racing series Toyota competes (in) -- with the exception of the top three NASCAR series and ARCA -- use fuel injection, TRD is familiar with the process. Moving forward, White believes the benefits of fuel injection “outweigh the potential costs.”

“Considering that we’re just kind of figuring out carburetors after four seasons, this is our old hat,” White said. “We kind of like where we’re at -- I say facetiously. The performance is very similar. We’ve worked with the technical group at NASCAR on some different injector locations and they’ve been very open to suggestions.

“From a corporate standpoint, from a branding standpoint, I think it helps all of us get a little bit closer to the fans and be able to showcase our capabilities with something that’s a little bit more relevant to our production cars. So, I don’t think anyone is going to say that’s not a good deal for the sport, for us as manufacturers, for all the sponsors, for everyone.”

When Ron Dennis, executive chairman of McLaren Automotive, made his first visit to a NASCAR race last season at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, he was on a mission — to provide the sanctioning body with a proposal for a fuel-injection system.

“We’re hoping the commitment to quality and excellence is something that will allow us to become selected by NASCAR . . . for some of the fuel injection and some of the other safety benefits and ecological benefits that we can bring with some of the technology that we have,” Dennis said.

NASCAR Chairman Brian France was just one of many that Dennis engaged. Prior to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Brickyard 400, France talked with FOXSports.com on choosing an Engine Control Unit (ECU) supplier.

“We're on a steady march to more technology in the cars, which is historically unlike us in some respects, provided that it doesn't burden the teams with additional costs that don't translate to our fan base, and obviously that we can enforce whatever new technologies,” France said. “The final thing is to make sure that it makes racing better. No question about it, fuel injection is something we're going to evolve to here in the short run.

“It's our slow, steady march. Fits into the green economy. Fits into where the manufacturers are obviously going. So (there's) any number of things you're going to be able to look at. But they'll just have to fit our criteria that I've laid out. That's where we'll end up.”

Eight companies originally submitted bids for ECUs and then last summer, according to an industry insider, the group had been narrowed to three — McLaren, Bosch and Marelli.

The McLaren Group is headquartered in Woking, Surrey, England and includes the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes F1 Racing Team and McLaren Automotive. It introduced a new car this year that included a carbon-fiber composite chassis and a top speed of 200 mph. The organization’s Formula One lineup has included Bruce McLaren, Peter Revson, Denny Hulme, James Hunt, Emerson Fittipaldi, Niki Lauda, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Fernando Alonso and current world champion drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button.

Comment

they have mclaren to draw benz in to the farce

Comment

In case you didn't know, Benz split the sheets with McClaren and started their own team. Headed by Ross Brawn.

Comment

........and Brawn wins.....constantly ;). ~J/W.

Comment

I think it's hilarious that they keep mentioning "Freescale" - the only domestically produced piece in that whole computer. This is obviously so the NASCAR crowd gets that "MADE IN AMERICA" vibe. Larry the Cable Guy won't know the difference.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

2009 , brawn braun was hot as hell , 2010 was red bully renault
                          brawn braun not so hot
                          this year has yet to begin in F1 land

Comment

I agree, its a McClaren spec ECU.

Comment

thought things were going great with EFI , no complaints [anyone who complains gets a 50k fine ] yep none , no problem

just have to push it back eight months LOL
                              nascar has it's head up it's getting divorced brian france ass , probably burning pistons by the trainload on the dyno ...

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                                thought things were going great with EFI , no complaints [anyone who complains gets a 50k fine ] yep none , no problem

just have to push it back eight months LOL
                                nascar has it's head up it's getting divorced brian france ass , probably burning pistons by the trainload on the dyno ...
                                since when was it scheduled to happen sooner? newsflash, teams have been testing EFI for 2+ years.
                                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                                X