Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nascar EFI pushed off to 2012

e

Freescale Semiconductor and McLaren Electronic Systems were introduced Friday in a news conference at Daytona International Speedway as the companies chosen to produce the new fuel injectors. Freescale will provide the processors for McLaren's engine control units. McLaren also supplies teams in the Izod IndyCar Series and Formula One.

Using electronics, fuel injection allows a precise amount of fuel to suit the amount of air flowing through the engine (a carburetor is less efficient because it sets an optimum amount of fueling for a specific point during an engine cycle).

Peter van Manen, managing director for McLaren Electronic Systems, said fuel injection would give NASCAR "more in their armory" to tinker with the restrictor plates that are used to keep cars below 200 mph at the longest, fastest tracks on the circuit.

But vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said plates were "the easiest and most economical way" to reduce speeds. Currently placed on the carburetor to reduce the flow of air to the engine (and thus robbing cars of a few hundred horsepower), Pemberton said the plate would go on a throttle body ("the part the air flows through is basically the same") in the fuel injection system.

"We have several hundred horsepower knocked out, and that's the easiest way to regulate it now," Pemberton said. "We have a few things to work on the next few years to potentially change it."

He added that carburetors also will continue to be used in the Nationwide and Camping World Truck series yet because "as we develop other engine packages, we won't get on fuel injection anytime soon."

Pemberton said fuel injection in Cup would be "bulletproof and cheat-proof." NASCAR officials generally have an aversion to implementing electronics because it would make it harder to police the tightly regulated series.

Van Manen said McLaren had developed a tamperproof system over 15 years.

"The units won't run without an authorized NASCAR code," he said. "It's impossible to tamper with these units without opening them up."

McLaren will sell the systems to teams (van Manen wouldn't reveal the price), and Pemberton said teams will be allowed to rotate units out of their cars as they please.

NASCAR is positioning fuel injection as a greener technology because the system should improve efficiency by burning less fuel. With a move to E15 this season expected to be the first step toward more alternative fuels, van Manen said fuel injection would allow for "great flexibility as you change fuels. In the event NASCAR selects a different fuel mixture, it's more straightforward to optimize with fuel injection."

Because fuel injection hasn't been tested with restrictor plates yet, Pemberton wouldn't commit to whether they'll be used during the full 2012 season. But he said fans wouldn't notice much different with the engines whenever the system makes its debut.

"They'll sound the same, they'll run the same," Pemberton said. "They'll make the same horsepower, if not more. We'll have the same great racing we've had."

Re: Nascar EFI pushed off to 2012

yes , can't be hacked - no siree

Comment

the old ecm hidden in the firesuit trick

Comment

or the secret bypass harness for the cheater box hidden in the driver cooling system.

More to the point, alternative fuels that have lower BTU/lb will decrease fuel mileage requiring either more pitstops or bigger fuel tanks. Ethanol 'enhanced' fuels are a political sop not an engineering improvement.

I hope this didn't violate the Turk rule.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

hell ya

Comment

jumper harness or wireless

Comment

so now it boils down to one paint grounding faster than another.

this ought to be fun to the newbs who think injection is realtime and by nature. :

don't even bother comapring it to a carb again. the crap hole they dig for themself just gets deeper.

given it is more towards aircraft throttles than stop and go city traffic, the companies can brag to the world how dynamical they are and mean it.

should be fun no matter what, a physic new to play with.

Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

In 15 years,most,if not ALL Motorsports,will be 'restricted'(Not 'Banned'...),due to the do-gooder 'Grennie-Gangs'(along with ever increasing costs,Fuel,Tyres,ect,ect....). It's comming. HAVE YOUR FUN.......NOW. By 'Restricted',I mean YEARLY Races,not Nightly/Daily/Weekender/Monthly,ect. What's REALLY scary about all this is that I read it in the WALL ST. JOURNAL of all places. It was also mentioned in BUISNESS WEEK Magazine about a year-and-a-half ago. Enjoy it while you can. ~J/W.

Comment

street racing has no such restrictions - sport of the future

Comment

Some of the 'Old Heads' were talkin' about that very thing the other day,Jim. I DO belive Street Racing...in some form or another will make somewhat of a comeback. But,all of the "Uncle/Big-Brother/Black Helicopter/doom-n-gloom" stuff is slowly becoming a reality. Folks I'd NEVER suspect of being 'the type' are becoming more & more complaining/upset/worried,you name it. The comming years are going to be 'interesting' to be sure. ~J/W.

Comment

nhra overbearing safety rules are a killer of low buck ...yet FAdrags run 9s -imports too , nary a bar in the car

Comment

fuel injection has been around nascar

Comment

Where there's a will, there's a way. If it is made by man, it can be altered by man. I don't see how they can prevent them from being modified.

FI is simply a way to make the cars more like production cars and it may help on short tracks, but not on superspeedways. Will it allow for ignition control as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                            Some of the 'Old Heads' were talkin' about that very thing the other day,Jim. I DO belive Street Racing...in some form or another will make somewhat of a comeback. But,all of the "Uncle/Big-Brother/Black Helicopter/doom-n-gloom" stuff is slowly becoming a reality. Folks I'd NEVER suspect of being 'the type' are becoming more & more complaining/upset/worried,you name it. The comming years are going to be 'interesting' to be sure. ~J/W.
                            anybody that fell for 9/11 is at least partly guilty.. sheep, followers that need protection..... wimps, pansies, you name it.
                            and for those that think they were not lead astray, brainwashed.... look at nazi germany, if it was that easy then just imagine now... nationalism, patriotism, the fatherland, homeland (security), you name it.... it's a nanny state

Comment

Freescale is the same CPU that's in a Megasquirt. I might have to tune into one of these races in 2012. :D

To help those confused: a restrictor plate is a 100% guaranteed way to restrict power to an engine - you would put it on a throttle body the same way you'd mount it to a carburetor. There is no trickery or fooling airflow - that's going to be the limiting factor of the maximum power the engine can make. All the EFI can do, is mix fuel with the oncoming air. It will likely make more power than the carm across the RPM band, and will reduce or eliminate dead spots. It'll get better fuel economy because the engine builders will damn sure take advantage of injector angle, placement, aiming, etc. which gives you a lot more variables to play with over a carb too. I have a friend that works on these and they are loving EFI.

I am trying to think of ways to "cheat" and the only thing I can think of is traction control. It sounds like McLaren is supplying the firmware that will restrict the inputs/outputs available to the computer, and just letting the tuners have access to Fuel, Spark, and corrections tables (cold engine warmup, etc.). If McLaren doesn't let you have access to the firmware, then it's difficult to create your own traction control software inside the box. I'm sure the McLaren systems are set up to be impossible to add your own code... that's how they work on many other racecars.

I find it interesting that they chose an overseas manufacturer for their engine management systems. No BigStuff?
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X