Nascar EFI pushed off to 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nascar EFI pushed off to 2012

A little off topic, but for NHRA all Top Alcohol Dragsters and Funny Cars have a transmitter on them that shuts the fuel, kills the mags, and pulls the chutes. As soon as the cross the line they pass through a signal that activates air solonoids.
    If the air bottle is full and someone remembers to turn it on. You don't need a computer for it though, but we are all waiting for it to malfunction.
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

monster trucks are killed from the judging booth

Comment

yeah , I was hearing stu trying to figure that out - the big coffee can in the back , the burst panel shut off , the c02 bottle
        his burst panel shutoff was successfully argued as , if the burst panel blows out in the rear of the manifold , it blows the dist cap off of the rear mounted distributor on the chevrolet -thus shutting the motor down

Comment

We had to put that on last year, but since we don't have a blower they made us put a sensor in the valley to detect if we burn a head gasket. Sometimes our car runs really good after a headgasket goes ;D
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
            It would be interesting to see if NASCAR adopts something like this. I doubt it as I've never seen it in other roadcourse racing, but it presents one more way to "disable" a competitor's car.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
              It would be interesting to see if NASCAR adopts something like this. I doubt it as I've never seen it in other roadcourse racing, but it presents one more way to "disable" a competitor's car.

Mark is just trying to find a way to get Jr. a win. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                can't wait till a hacker wifi's and shuts down a teams car..
                I'know I know, can't happen :
                it seems easy enough after watching a few episodes of Star Trek, but the bottom line is, it just can't happen if there's no physical way to establish 2-way comms with the computer.

I've done that on some racing cars, but it requires specialized equipment on each end of the conversation. If McLaren doesn't put a radio receiver, only a transmitter, on their computer, there's zero chance of someone "hacking."

However, that doesn't preclude other methods for screwing them up, so you bring up a good point: suggested methods for disabling a competitor's engine management system:

(1) there's the Online Gamer's Favorite method: EMP. Pros: can wipe out an electronics package if it's not properly hardened. Cons: you'll have a hard time smuggling this into an event in your Playmate cooler, and the device is sure to rate high on Homeland Security's watch list

(2) Cause an electrical short somewhere inside the vehicle. Race electronics are typically more sensitive to this than OEM cars. One good spark event (think "starter wire contacts engine block momentarily") can wipe the brains of an entire computer in a millisecond.

I can't think of any other methods right now but they must be out there.
                If you have access to the car for a couple seconds -

Loosen the bolt on the crankshaft position sensor just enough that it'll vibrate loose in mid-race.

Hit one of the wires to the ECU - particularly the 5 volt reference voltage if it's not unusually well protected - with a stun gun.

Without access to the car, about all I can think of is either of the EMP variety, or something involving lightning rods next to their trailer and the sort of luck that only happens to Dirk Pitt in Clive Cussler's novels.

Of course, if somebody managed to pull off Spidey's favorite cheating scenario (traction control, with the sensors used being hidden and transmitting their signals wirelessly) and the competition got wind of how they were doing that, it could be endless fun to screw with the wireless signals. Telling the ECU it's getting 80% wheel slip on a straightaway could be highly amusing. Looks like they've managed to set up the rules so that adding traction control is going to be nearly impossible, though (unless it's an authorized feature of the spec ECU.)

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                  and the sort of luck that only happens to Dirk Pitt in Clive Cussler's novels.
                  :D Cussler is practically the reason I'm a geologist.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

A new season and same old problems for NASCAR.

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. If NASCAR was hoping for a lift at Daytona -- and Dale Earnhardt Jr. sitting on the Pole provided some much-needed positive news -- the reality is that here we are again at NASCAR's "Super Bowl" -- their terminology, not mine -- with a potential for a snoozer of a race on Sunday. The brand-new pavement at Daytona -- and a superb paving job it is, by the way -- has changed just about everything the drivers have come to expect about restrictor-plate racing. Yes, the new track is blistering fast, but along with the smooth, fast track the big packs of drafting cars have been eliminated in favor of two-car drafting partners seeking to separate themselves from the field. And if last Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout is any indication, we'll see two-car drafts all day long on Sunday, with some sort of finish. What kind of finish is anyone's guess at this point.

As I've made it very clear from the beginning, I despise restrictor-plate racing, and no matter what form it takes -- big packs, two-car packs -- it really doesn't matter to me. Once again we're dealing with a situation where NASCAR has been historically resistant to making any dramatic changes for fear of what, I have no idea -- change, the vast Unknown, sun spots -- you name it. There seems to be an ingrained fear down at Daytona Beach that if they alter "the show" too much it will negatively affect their fortunes.

Uh, really?

Just how much more negativity can be attached to NASCAR at this juncture? And no I'm not going to regurgitate the litany of NASCAR's problems again but suffice to say that the Daytona 500 is in fact NASCAR's biggest event and they can't afford another bad race. After all, we've seen race stoppages for pothole repair and a lengthy rain delay over the last two years -- and the subsequent disappointment and fallout from the fans afterward -- and NASCAR can ill-afford yet another negative story associated with this year's race.

What can be done? When there's a general unwillingness on NASCAR's part to embrace serious change then I would say not much. After all, Brian France has made it clear he feels that in an enterprise as old as NASCAR there are bound to be ups and downs and that the racing organization is just in a bad patch at the moment. And who's to argue that point when NASCAR -- even in the midst of the most severe downward spiral in its history -- is still the most popular form of motorsport in this country by far?

But it seems to me that when an organization is mired in a downward spiral, rationalizing it or maintaining the status quo, or thinking that things will get better "right around the corner" isn't the answer. As I've said many times before, I watched the Detroit Three do this "it won't be long now, better times are right around the corner" dance for years and it didn't go well for them, now did it?

NASCAR either has to go to drastically smaller engines and take the restrictors off completely, giving the drivers some real throttle control on super speedways again, or -- and this is my preference -- rip rows upon rows of grandstands out to maintain spectator safety and take the restrictors off the current cars completely and let them lap the super speedways at 220mph+.

And to those who say carnage would ensue I say, why? These are supposed to be the best of the best in American racing, right? And what's wrong with drivers having to lift going into a corner? I'd bet we'd see the great drivers separated from the merely good ones in a hurry, unlike today, when we have to watch two-car drafting partners circulate for 495 miles before anything of consequence happens.

Will I watch on Sunday? Yes, I'll watch the start, and then I'll pay attention for the last five laps or so.

After all, that's all the attention the present state of NASCAR's "Super Bowl" requires, or deserves.

Comment

nascar should get rid of the low row cheap seats

Comment

nascar listened to the INsurance company and nerds and shrunk the restrictor plate

Comment

Working...
                        X