Ford/auto trans techs help 5r55e 5spd auto/ranger4wd pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford/auto trans techs help 5r55e 5spd auto/ranger4wd pickup

2002 Ranger 4wd pickup-82,000 miles-fluid full and smells fine. drives perfect, as near as I can tell-tach reads
    2200ish at 70 mph. O/D button on shifter doesnt change anything and I do not see an O/D light on instrument cluster. I read up on it and see that the 5 speed became 5 by adding a new 2nd gear, and it seems to have 4th/od, just not switch or light working. what am I looking for here?that switch oughta do something!
    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Re: Ford/auto trans techs help 5r55e 5spd auto/ranger4wd pickup

Uh, mmm, Crap, I forgot. something to do with overdrive solenoid or something like that. I'll just watch your avatar a little longer, maybe I'll remember.

;D

Comment

When you tap the brake pedal at 70 mph you should gain approx 200 rpm as lock-up convertor unlocks. Next your truck should have o/d light in cluster with o/d disengaged (light on) you should be turning about 2800-3000.
      If your light is not coming on you may have a broken wire inside shift lever for o/d. The only real way to check internal trans operation to see if it's a solenoid or control problem is if you have a scan tool.
      I was a Ford master tech for 11 years and it helps that I own a 2002 Ranger myself ;D

Comment

***HIJACK***

Can you stuff unmodified and unblown 4.6 DOHC power through one of these and have it live? Think Aviator/Maurader/Mach 1 power.

***END/HIJACK***
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

hell no , thats a dinky trans , we change a lot of them on used cars

Comment

the swap I have been thinking about is a 5.0 Explorer drivetrain swap, after all the 95-01 models were essentially Rangers underneath the skin. Now THAT would be a sleeper :D

Comment

I'm actually picturing a different application. 2002 Lincoln LS with a 00-02 Continental Intech 4.6 DOHC wearing whatever manifold will fit in front of the stock transmission with a 3.0L Duratec bellhousing. Make the computer think the 4.6 is a 3.9L AJV8 with sensor swapping and reprogram the computer.
              All this trouble is because without the CAN bus stuff enabled, even the interior lights don't work on an LS.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
              X