No announcement yet.

Biggest Mistake A Car Guy Makes Is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biggest Mistake A Car Guy Makes Is...

LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar

IMO, the biggest mistake is getting hooked with someone who hates your cars to the bone and just wants to see ALL the money you spend flow into her greedy direction. These are usually the ones that just wants to suck all the fun out of ya, the 'whining way'... And if that won't work, her divorce-laywer will take care of it. Seen it happen way too often.
      While agree there is nothing wrong with croaking and having a bunch of cars still laying around, the biggest thing we can screw up is getting hitched to someone who hates our cars. I married one of those, and she was ok at first, but two years later it was why dont we sell all your old junk and get a new Excursion? The fact that NONE of my cars were painted or even nice when she left is the main reason she didnt want any of them.

A much smaller but still egregious mistake I tend to make is how much time it will take me. Im not as fast as I used to be, and that has bitten me in the ass a few times.

Comment

Getting Married ;D.......... And GIVING AWAY Cars. I've done the 'Free Car' thing TWICE. I was once given 'an origional '73 Buick Apallo GSX Hatchback. 350 Buick/TH-350. Some rust,but it was untouched,everything worked. For some reason,I just got boared with it,so I just gave it away. To this day I have NO IDEA as to WHY :P. The second Car was 'an origional Buckeneer Red '74 Pontiac Super-Duty Trans-Am my Brother found in the neighborhood. Typical Garage find,12.700 origional miles,455/4-Speed,Polyglass Goodyears,loaded Car,8-Track/Tilt,F-41,Custom RED Interior. ALL of the origional Paperwork,everything right down to the Cardboard 'Temperory' Tag in a Box in the Trunk. I paid $2800 for it....in 1991. When I started storing my Cars 'in bulk' at the Arsonal,I didin't have any form of 'rent $$' to put down,so I just GAVE Him the Car instead : :o :o :!! Of course,He still has it...hasn't done a damn thing to it/with it. Still,knowing the Car would eventually get under my Skin,He wisely moved it to His 'other' Storage Garage..........a former 7-Storey Linen Mill down in N. Philla. Some of my other Cars are stored there. Jack tells me that once His Body reaches 'the decrepit stage',I'll get it back. ~J/W.

Comment

Hijack=
          Once did a 74 Buick as JW speaks of ,350 Buick/350 TH Hatch, went from a factory beige to a crazy Gold Poly color. it was a rust bomb

Comment

The biggest mistake I made was buying a project car that was way over my head, my '69 Mustang. It would have taken $6,000 just to get the bodywork done.
            Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

1.) Underestimating yourself
              2.) Viewing problems as insurmountable obstacles instead of fun challenges
              3.) Letting an inanimate object "beat" you
              4.) Waiting for perfect to happen
              5.) Thinking that anything is going to be cheap
              6.) To give up especially when the reason is short sighted
              7.) Allow a hobby to detract from family and truly important life stuff
              8.) Getting hung up on what other have and constantly bemoaning the fact that you don't
              9.) Forgetting that this stuff is fun and an escape from the daily grind
              10.) to use the most dangerous words in the English language, "That's the way we've always done it"

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

3.) Letting an inmate "beat" you

Yeah that would be bad I guess ;D
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Getting married to a lady who's not enjoying you working in the garage and joining you at the races.
                  Happened to me, didn't turn a wrench for years, got divorced and maried to a sweety who's bringing coffee, beer and sandwiches to the garage. And made me book flight tickets to the next Orlando WSN.
                  www.lowlandsXtreme.com --- Facebook: lowlandsXtreme

Comment

kids preclude all car events

Comment

letting your selfish wants and desires interfere with your relationships. My wife is not a car-person, but no car project would ever be worth driving a wedge between us. Been to the brink of that and was thankfully wise enough to re-evaluate my priorities and realize it's not all about me and what I want in life. It's about us.

;)
                      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger

letting your selfish wants and desires interfere with your relationships. My wife is not a car-person, but no car project would ever be worth driving a wedge between us. Been to the brink of that and was thankfully wise enough to re-evaluate my priorities and realize it's not all about me and what I want in life. It's about us.

;)
                        true words Obi-wan.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

;)
                          I second the motion. Nice, BBR.
                          Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

;)
                            I geuss this is why I am single,,,,,, I would say its about balance. When it all goes one way, and I am not a counting person but sooner or later it would be nice to hear "lets go do your thing this weekend".
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Not buying that radar detector. .... I don't want to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by hoosiergta
                                Not buying that radar detector. .... I don't want to talk about it.
                                <raises hand> Been there.
                                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                                X