No announcement yet.

Biggest Mistake A Car Guy Makes Is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biggest Mistake A Car Guy Makes Is...

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
    Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
    Biggest Mistake A Car Guy Makes Is...

letting your selfish wants and desires interfere with your relationships. My wife is not a car-person, but no car project would ever be worth driving a wedge between us. Been to the brink of that and was thankfully wise enough to re-evaluate my priorities and realize it's not all about me and what I want in life. It's about us.

;)
    I geuss this is why I am single,,,,,, I would say its about balance. When it all goes one way, and I am not a counting person but sooner or later it would be nice to hear "lets go do your thing this weekend".
    You hit it on the head. It's not all about her and what she wants in life, either.
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Balance in a relationship is elusive, but crucial!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

There is a difference between letting your hobby screw up your relationship, and having someone who thinks they can change you or get you to grow out of it. Some guys can grow out of it, buy a minivan, and let her buy shoes or whatever, never letting her know how much they miss that car.

Some of us cant.

No relationship is worth not being happy. If she cant accept that you are into old junk or racing occasionally, then its time to find a new one. Why? Because she will try to dictate everything to you if she gets you to change that one thing about yourself. Give a little, never get it back. Its better to start with a person who appreciates you and what you like to do than to have someone else endure your hobby that starts fights. The first thing I tell a prospective female is "I am into cars, if you cant handle that then lets just end this right here." I still found someone and we dont fight about my cars.

Comment

When I first met my girlfriend, now wife, she thought a drag race was two guys wearing dresses running in high heels.
          I didn't get married to have a racing partner though, I don't need her to go to the races or help me do anything as far as that goes. I like it that way. She will stop by the shop sometimes, mostly because I didn't answer my phone or something like that. If I'm not home, she knows where I'm at. She likes to know what's going on and goes to a few races, and that's enough for me.

Oh, and the biggest mistake.....not having a plan.
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Your wife wants to be part of your life. Your wife is just waiting for the day when you include her in a meaningful way in what you love. She will not be second to your car, ever. While in the dating relationship she will bite her tongue when you do something that points out that you're rather make love with your car then her; eventually however, she'll lash out. If you're lucky, it'll be before marriage, kids and a mortgage. And she will be right in leaving your nappy ass because you're a selfish bastard; who doesn't have the 1st clue about how to truly make anyone but yourself happy (and you're pretty miserable anyway, so why put on the front?)

A good, loved wife will suffer 10x more when you chose her over the car. I've seen wives who go without necessities just so they can get something special for the man they love. Of course, a real man recognizes the value of a good wife and treats her accordingly - including some man-made idol with neither soul nor heart.

A woman who is loved will give up her body (ever see what pregnancy does to a woman?), her family (who will always hate the guy no matter how good he is), and defend her man to her friends because she feels loved. So when you "give up" your car for the person who puts up with your shit, be a man and don't whine about it to your friends; praise her your friends, because that selflessness is a marvel.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
              Your wife wants to be part of your life. Your wife is just waiting for the day when you include her in a meaningful way in what you love. She will not be second to your car, ever. While in the dating relationship she will bite her tongue when you do something that points out that you're rather make love with your car then her; eventually however, she'll lash out. If you're lucky, it'll be before marriage, kids and a mortgage. And she will be right in leaving your nappy ass because you're a selfish bastard; who doesn't have the 1st clue about how to truly make anyone but yourself happy (and you're pretty miserable anyway, so why put on the front?)

A good, loved wife will suffer 10x more when you chose her over the car. I've seen wives who go without necessities just so they can get something special for the man they love. Of course, a real man recognizes the value of a good wife and treats her accordingly - including some man-made idol with neither soul nor heart.

A woman who is loved will give up her body (ever see what pregnancy does to a woman?), her family (who will always hate the guy no matter how good he is), and defend her man to her friends because she feels loved. So when you "give up" your car for the person who puts up with your shit, be a man and don't whine about it to your friends; praise her your friends, because that selflessness is a marvel.
              Couldn't have said it better!!!

I get my wife involved, that cured her dislike of the car; it's part hers now. She works on the wiring, listens to me explain things and is thinking about picking up upholstering to leave her mark where people can see it instead of burried under the dash.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Why push someone?
                I'm sure she wouldn't like me sitting in her office all day, and I wouldn't like it either. It's good to be indpendant.
                Originally posted by TC
                also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by A/Fuel
                  Why push someone?
                  I'm sure she wouldn't like me sitting in her office all day, and I wouldn't like it either. It's good to be indpendant.
                  what I said should be used only when applicable, different people like different things - I'm only expounding what works for me.... (as aside, I'm in this running discussion with some of my married, male friends about listing the similarities between men and women... so far, here's the complete list: they breath oxygen, they eat food however, they do so for different reasons ;))

and tomorrow (at my wife's request and direction) I'm going to go buy some vortec heads for my wife; really, she needs vortec heads... and it's for her work.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Biggest mistake I made was I set a budget AND told my wife.

She thinks that because I can drive it it is done.

Comment

trying to do too many projects, buying a crappy old house that eats all the finances :-[
                      COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

biggest mistake...

not even trying.

sometimes its pioneering. Maine gets that alot....car makers still don't listen to how weak most of it is...
                        That is more than cars of course...

put the damn book down with torques meant for 7 to 1 compression and...

this mistake prejudged, goes all the way to car inspectors. Someone actually fixed something beyond oe....all scary and stuff.
                        the truck with the all metal home made body. I wonder how many locales have that banned silently...

worth a try. biggest regret is not to.

Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Attempting a project without a complete understanding of what was going on, or even worse, thinking I knew when I didn't know shit about where I was at.

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE. Don't wanna talk about it.

"It's okay, she won't mind." Bullshit. (It's humor, not contrary to the good advice from earlier. But you all know THAT look, too.)

Get help when you need help.
                          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

when you bust your knuckle working on the car, then you kick the car out of anger, then you re pist again for denting the car... ;D

Comment

Giving up 5 acres in the country with about an acre of it packed gravel and a slab already poured. I even built a gocart track on the back two acres and a small ball field out front, (I was coaching little league at the time). The 40 x 60 shop was in progress and I was happy.

I still remind my wife how much I hated moving into town. > She knows not to give me any shit over the one car I have room for. Truthfully she doesn't mind me spending time with it, keeps me out of her hair since I have no room to roam. ;D

Comment

being seventeen and turrning down a fully paid for car that gets 30mpg on its four banger in the vain hope i can find a running car from the 70's to buy that might get 14 :-\
                                GF:Did you motor blow up?
                                Me:No i took the rod and shoved it through my block on purpose...

Comment

Working...
                                X