Street Classes ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Classes ...

So we have a pretty good discussion going on our local drag race board about the class called King Street. All of the die hard bracket guys jump in and run the class regularly. The rules dictate that cars running the class have DOT tires, mufflers and be registered. They did add a drive event, but made it optional, giving the racers that do complete the drive get extra points.

When someone protests the bracket cars in the class, the track officials respond with "we are allowing it to keep the car count high, otherwise we'll probably do away with the class". By the same token, a few guys have shown up with primer and some decals on the body (both are against "the rules" for King Street) but are driven to the track and are street legal, yet they are told they have to run in a bracket class due to not being painted and the sponsorship decals.

Personally, my car fits the class rules. It does bug me slightly that the rules are interpreted in different ways depending on who you are. I can either take it or leave it nowadays ... it's their track, they can do what they want.

What do you guys think? Street means street or ????
    Street means street, get these racecars outta here!
    0%
    Ignore the rules to keep the car count up.
    0%
    I don't care what's in the other lane as long as I'm racing.
    0%
    Can I use the plates off my tow rig?
    0%
    OH MY GAWD! Another street car vs race car debate ...
    0%
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: Street Classes ...

maybe I'm tired of the folks who can't compete in one class so they twist the rules so they can win in another... but, street is something you regularly drive.... about the car count, so if you make a class for everyone, then everyone can go home with a ribbon? oh good Lord.

or to quote a great movie - the incredibles - "if everyone is special, then no one is special"
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The car count argument can go both ways. I imagine some guys don't come out because of the bracket cars running in the class.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

street class has low payouts

Comment

it is always going to be an issue, so i voted I dont care. I am not there expecting to win, i just want to be having fun racing. Probably why I will never win, but beats watching TV, or the honey do list.
          Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Do you need a competition license to run in the faster class?

If so - one way to run the "street" class would be to prohibit competition license holders - though this could back fire if license holders had a few different cars they wanted to drive on the track.

It's like the brand loyalty debates about oil, vehicles, tools, it will never go away!
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

why manipulate street class.. it is where evolution is to go on for all of us.

pushing boundaries helped do away with alot of casual power, twisted made obnoxious and taken for granted.

a whispering gt40 at 8 seconds...
              even a beetle makes an ass of some of this stuff.

LT rated tires on a diesel tow rig caprice is one thing...the quaest goes too far for others. ya know what I mean?

my place has nothing wandering around pushing limits. this street manipulation must be in places that have terrain and weather...I am certain it helped ruin it all for all of usa.

Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Personally, I like the ECTAs take on some of the issues like this- if you can live with yourself, you can race it.

Comment

Arguing over what is and isn't a street car is easy to get bogged down in. In Georgia, you could probably get a Top Alcohol funny car registered and get a license plate for it if you put lights, mufflers, and street tires on it. But if you're going to have class rules, enforce them equally. Are the bracket cars registered? Do they have mufflers and street tires? If they don't, they shouldn't be there.

Comment

And I'm really not debating street vs race here. That horse has been beaten into glue n dog food already. I'm more interested on everyone's thoughts about a calling something a street class, but not requiring street equipment. Some of the faster guys claim they need slicks for safety reason, but at the same time, there are a few guys running deep in the 8s, that are following the rules and actually do the drive part too.

For the record, with all the hoopla going on up on the mountain this year and the substantial entry fee increases, I won't be there .... I'll take the entry fees I woulda paid and put them in the DW fund!

Comment

A Rose by any other name,,,,, They had to call it something and they are running out of names.

Spec a tire that everyone has to use a lot of "race guys" will drop out. Make it a Tiger Paw buy a cheap durometer have at it.
                      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                        A Rose by any other name,,,,, They had to call it something and they are running out of names.

Spec a tire that everyone has to use a lot of "race guys" will drop out. Make it a Tiger Paw buy a cheap durometer have at it.
                        I like the way you think Jeff!!!

Comment

come on, everybody knows a delaybox and throd stop are all parts of street cars,, :
                          oh and spools,
                          it's hard the track wants car count, the racer wants to have a chance..

never mind this..
                          I love the tracks "buy back" you run a tight race,cut the tree, and the cars back in!!!!!!!!!!
                          WTF
                          at a super chevy show up at N.E.D. I was racing my 86 SS and sent a 70 elcamino home,,
                          two rounds later I'm racing the same car that I put on the trailer..
                          that I don't like

Comment

Originally posted by Tazracing
                            come on, everybody knows a delaybox and throd stop are all parts of street cars,, :
                            oh and spools,
                            it's hard the track wants car count, the racer wants to have a chance..

never mind this..
                            I love the tracks "buy back" you run a tight race,cut the tree, and the cars back in!!!!!!!!!!
                            WTF
                            at a super chevy show up at N.E.D. I was racing my 86 SS and sent a 70 elcamino home,,
                            two rounds later I'm racing the same car that I put on the trailer..
                            that I don't like
                            When I bracket raced we used to just split it, $10 bucks got you another pratice shot and into round two.
                            Originally posted by TC
                            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Suprisingly most weekly racers, the ones with the talent enough to win every now and again, LIKE buy backs as they boost purses and help keep classes that may otherwise be a financial downer, going. I agree it does suck on some level, but a drag strip with buy backs is better than no drag strip.

Dan, how many cars does the class draw? Just being curious. Also, is this class typically run in conjunction with days that are jam packed with other classes? I ask that because if it has a smallish turn out each week, but the rest of the track is full and other classes are jamming, the track is not losing a dime on you guys. Yes, adding a class does extend the day somewhat, but knowing that John Bandimere has learned how to efficiently run a drag strip over the course of his life, there's not a lot of wasted manpower or time there. Is there a payout at each event or a year end points fund?

I've seen this scenario go both ways first hand. What's happening to you now mirrors a situation I saw about 10 years ago up here. The track allowed the class to be diluted, the regulars (you!) got pissed and said screw it and one day the track op looked out and said, "Why do we even have this class, it is just the bracket guys?" DONE

The other thing I saw was racers actually rally themselves into a better scene by recruiting racers to join the class. They went to test and tune nights and a couple other tracks and found cars that were appropriate, invited dudes to race and within a couple months they went from the brink of death to having a great time (and the track was able to kick out the cars that didn't fit the rules because they were GLARING when compared to the "correct" cars that were racing).

Hate to see shrinkage at the track though, especially when dedicated long-time racers are getting fed up.

Brian
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X