Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Certifications

Originally posted by Fordplay0621
    We had a Supervisor that went Six Sigma, He jokingly made the remark "To save the Company Money they should get rid of Six Sigma". They Fired him.
    It sounds like they saved some money there. ;D

A lot of people had trouble with the change in work culture that process control requires, but after all of the elements are in place it is a powerful tool that empowers everyone in the company to excel. Its really just good work habits with a fancy name, a lot of my more educated counterparts made it way more complicated and disrupting than it needed to be in the implementation phase. Some implementations have been ill fitted to the mission of a company.

The theory of relativity is simple too: All things in the universe are bound by the same physical laws, governed to, but not limited by, the observer in their specific frame of reference.

Six Sigma is just a referential number of 3.4 defects per million opportunities or 3.4 DPMO, or six sigma. It expresses a form of standard deviation to measured process control. It isn't really anything new, it has been around under other names since early in the 20th century and primarily in Asia. As a principle in practice on the shop floor, it is the development of process controls to achieve this as a long term relative process measurement of success of an entire work center and all of its dependent upstream and downstream processes. It involves the principle of in context sampling of natural waves and troughs of the rate of a process and seeking to narrow the range of these waves and troughs a consistent value of six sigma of individual process and its relationship to enable others. I.e, you cant get one process to six sigma, and knock another one off kilter, thus it is a continuous process of evaluation and improvement. The rejection of this in many work cultures has made it impossible for us to compete with cheap trade goods flooding the market. Too bad, its our loss. We could have got our costs down and been competitive. Everywhere I have used it, along with JIT material I/O and Kaizen waste control we have taken the market away from everyone, including the foreign companies. You can't stand against good work and expect to succeed.

Comment

As a retired Gov't guy, I've been Six Sigma'd, Zenger-Miller'd, and about any other buzz worded that you can think of. At the end of my career, I was so tired of the Management Buzzword game I was ready to scream! The real corker was when our Division Director came back from a seminar and announced that we were to be guided by "meaningful results statements" - I guess as opposed to those old, meaningless results statements. I had a quiet, respectful sit-down with the guy and suggested that he keep his latest seminar revelations to himself. He did. He was a nice enough guy, and it was kind of tough telling him that his staff was laughing at him behind his back.

I thought of getting State of Michigan certified or ASE'd, but there was no extra money in it so I saw no point.

Later
      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
        As a retired Gov't guy, I've been Six Sigma'd, Zenger-Miller'd, and about any other buzz worded that you can think of. At the end of my career, I was so tired of the Management Buzzword game I was ready to scream! The real corker was when our Division Director came back from a seminar and announced that we were to be guided by "meaningful results statements" - I guess as opposed to those old, meaningless results statements. I had a quiet, respectful sit-down with the guy and suggested that he keep his latest seminar revelations to himself. He did. He was a nice enough guy, and it was kind of tough telling him that his staff was laughing at him behind his back.

I thought of getting State of Michigan certified or ASE'd, but there was no extra money in it so I saw no point.

Later
        Dan
        That is what is ridiculous about the whole thing. I have always believed that if you want to know the state of your business, you have to understand the culture. Fancy buzzwords mean nothing, it is what is done at the floor level. Like working with bricks. Each mason has his own style of putting it down, and in the end the results are something that will stand through time. His own pride drives him to do the job the way he knows it is right because if it falls down in 5 years he probably wont be laying bricks anymore. I think that is what people fail to understand, is that implementation of any measurement requires a bottom up approach to evaluation. The simplest fellow can describe the process to you in the most elegant way, because it is what he does. He knows it better than anyone, and especially some white shirt who never gave him the time of day before. The trust in a system of evaluation comes from pulling off that tie and getting into his world. Many Six Sigma projects have failed from this basic understanding. Ask a question, could this be done? His answer is, that depends. Then he will tell you about the obstacles that placed this work in the balance it is in. You then evaluate the removal of those obstacles, and you have a stakeholder who just made a REAL change that gained something.

I have always been a blue-collar guy, even in a white shirt with tie and a three piece in a boardroom. Because if you don't think from the ground up, you will screw everything up. Everyone has to have a stake, and an empowerment over their part of the work or it just won't work.

I had a Japanese friend of mine who is in the Dept of Interior in Japan ask me what I thought Kaizen meant. My answer was go back to December 1941and look at the ass-whoopin' we dealt you guys over there in a few short years from a total isolationistic view to an unstoppable manufacturing giant. He laughed and said, we learned it from you in exactly that context. Now its like holy mother of God in the workplace and from Asia to boot. Bullshit.

I hate buzzwords, but good principles are universal and have been around since the first tribe went after another with spears.

Comment

ase is just a ploy to prevent licensing i.e. plumbers , electricians , even barbers
          it's main purpose is to keep mechanic's underpaid and to make ase money

Comment

I have a diploma in Automotive Technologies from a community college and I am Ford Parts Master Certified. But I can tell you I am far less knowledgeable then many other people in my field that have less certifications. All any piece of paper mean is that you took the time to get it. It doesn't mean you know anything other then the answers to the questions on the test. To be honest I never opened a book in college and still made A's and B's. I can actually say I learned more from reading the tech articles in the car magazines. The best way to learn something is to participate when ever you get a chance. While reading can help you with the details, you still might not be able to perform the task at hand b/c you have no experience with performing that task.

Just my thought.

Comment

i need an apprenticeship. i could be certified for all kinds of shit with the right tools.

right now, i need an english wheel, plasma cutter, metal brake, & time with a hammer.

Comment

buy some ron covell tapes , or sunchaser tools
                jesse james appreticed with boyd , buttera and some old resto guy in massachussetts

Comment

I have a few certs but all they really do is look good on a resume. Funny thing is that I am actually taking body shop classes in the evening at a community college.

MSCE (W2K3)
                  CCSA (Citrix)
                  CCSA (Checkpoint)
                  CCSE (Checkpoint)
                  IBX Cable (Woohoo - network wiring!)
                  etc.

Comment

ACE High School Administrator (but don't use it)
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Im also Papererd in detroit diesel 50/60 series, 3406 cats, n14, b&c and isp cummins as well as the fabulous powerchoke. and air brake and hrdro max braking . Plus I got mt act 120 to be a cop.
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.
                      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                      X